Shanty Boat Living on the Hook in the Mississippi and Atchafalaya River Basin | Squat the Planet

Shanty Boat Living on the Hook in the Mississippi and Atchafalaya River Basin

Elvis

Reaction score
I have little boating experience but I have been interested in it for years. I currently live in Minneapolis in Summer and Lafayette LA area in the winter. It would be cool to live on a motorized shanty that I could take between the two. I am curious about how that would work living on the hook, and pushing the boat ashore when stopping. Also curious about what you do if you want to stop and explore a city.

Another question, that I am far less serious about doing but still curious about is has anyone done the great loop in a shanty?

Reactions: NamelessExistence

Rue

Reaction score
Ahh. That would be cool, but youd be better off building a new shantee every year and floating down to Lafayette. It'd be a lot of money in fuel to bring anything up river. 1-5k at least

Elvis

Reaction score
Ahh. That would be cool, but youd be better off building a new shantee every year and floating down to Lafayette. It'd be a lot of money in fuel to bring anything up river. 1-5k at least

Well I was more envisioning hauling back with a truck, not trying to go back up river with the boat.

Dmac

Reaction score
I find this very interesting. I've been watching a YouTube channel "back waters and back roads" who is doing the great loop in a shanty boat. I think it's his second time trying it.

Reactions: sevedemanos

sevedemanos

Reaction score
Read any of the books by Harlan Hubbard: PayneHollow, Shantyboat on the Bayous, and Shantyboat Journal.

Then, check out Wes Modes site which you’ll find after reading this:

I think Wes lives only a few miles from me.

great book. always recommending that one. that and edward abbey’s desert solitaire — nothing boat related, just similarly introspective and interesting.

gotta check out those others you listed, thanks!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads