Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/selfies-with-the-homeless-a-new-shareable-low

Selfies With the Homeless, a New Unshareable Low

Tweet

By Brian Merchant

fSN1-_A55QG-ZVyads7X0GCqpY-8xVYtnPyldDK47iD7z7pRzfH2JWoZTVJmZcNBF1CigUaGgil1Gb_XRtDvyyGvBwA=s630.png

We live in unequal times, and it's never been more obvious. The gulf between rich and poorAmericans is wider than it has been since 1928, right before the crash that brought on the Great Depression. But back then, at least the kids of railroad barons and newspaper tycoons didn't use smartphones to create a permanent record of their efforts to humiliate the destitute.

For today's haves, the comforts are multiplying like a swarm of self-replicating nanobots. New life-improving technologies keep rolling out—roboticized networked appliances, smarter homes, an ever-evolving ecosystem of apps and services that grant new conveniences to iPhone owners. And popular culture absorbs the tastes of the tech-forward haves, so we spend news cycles debating new games in the App Store or the etiquette of selfies.

Meanwhile, there are plenty of urban and rural poor who don't even know what a selfie is. There are, as the writer and Coppin State University professor D. Watkins points out, an entire class of people who are "too poor for pop culture."

Bridging the divide in the most repulsive way possible are the privileged, mostly white kids who are blithely taking selfies with the homeless and posting them to Instagram. Social media has documented a lot of dubious social media behavior indulged by the young and rich—but this is a new nadir. This trend isn't quite viral yet, but it's pervasive enough for Jason Feifer, the creator and curator of a series of blogs that document selfie habits, to take note. The result is "Selfies With Homeless People," and it's disturbing.

WrU_9AgAXqw6-St0otIsfc8RuiXmJAciW2JUMtGpejyAhlzqGuJNF0R7qIIPXJrV6isPLT7FG81YDcOSIE_ywL8oLwsmL=s0.png

"It's common, but it's not, like, an epidemic," Feifer told me. Feifer's last project, Selfies at Funerals, was widely discussed. But this is another arena altogether. The images on the new blog represent a sampling Feifer gathered after doing a few simple searches on Instagram. People are actually tagging and labeling these photos with the pertinent keywords when they share them. "There are still plenty more out there, and I'm sure many more that didn't use keywords like 'selfie and 'homeless' that allowed me to easily find them."

I asked Feifer what struck him most about the images.

"Two things," he said, "the amount of people sticking out their tongues, the amount of them giving a thumbs up. Why is this a thing that multiple people, almost certainly unaware of each other, all decided to do? It's just baffling."

dcus7MfhorjD7IkuCym_D-J-iH7N2KLlyAY0a25U-juVDGDO1srwl8_Y68Z9Jhl-tpR5CaBgmdO6WRXLGTntCnz_rHKFt=s0.png

To see such stark insensitivity might be baffling, but the general trend is less so. Platforms like Facebook and Instagram have developed in us an emphasis to craft share-worthy personal narratives. Shocking, funny, or compelling photos are rewarded with likes and micro-plaudits, so it's not hard to see why objects, cities, even people, start to be perceived as props in user timelines. It might be easier than ever for some dumb rich kids to mock the destitute, and not only feel no remorse, but comfortable sharing the images with their social circles. Combine that with the pervasive cultural insistence that the poor are lazy, inferior, or somehow deserve their circumstances, and you've got a recipe for an ugly turn in DIY media.

Selfies, of course are the celebrated pop culture phenom du jour; the word is now in the Oxford dictionary, the President takes them, and they're the subject of countless trend pieces from the commentariat. But the poor and the homeless are excluded from all that, as D. Watkins illustrates in a recent essay about life in East Baltimore.

HMv5R9jid2JPcaAq8q6o5U8wbY9JwsX83KeWOw6XFnOFVt8gY4G-kBulMdneIGL1gNjCgC94Xd3yb_GjFn4SreHW3YAbs=s0.png

"Miss Sheryl doesn’t have a computer and definitely wouldn’t know what a selfie is," he writes, describing a friend. "Her cell runs on minutes and doesn’t have a camera. Like many of us, she’s too poor to participate in pop culture. She’s on public assistance living in public housing and scrambles for odd jobs to survive." The people Watkins describes are too broke, working too long, and too overwhelmed to follow along with frivolous cultural commentary.

Now some of them are becoming participants in that pop culture after all; but unwittingly, used as props to win a few Facebook likes. Made a target for open mockery, not just at that moment, but permanently, on dozens of social media walls and circles.It all carries some uniquely dystopian overtones—the techless poor treated as primitive animals in a zoo exhibit.

As such, it's a special brand of humiliation we're bearing witness to, Feifer says. When I asked him why he considered selfies taken with the homeless uniquely offensive, he was unequivocal.

"It's because of the intent," he says, "these photos strike me as full of malice. I don't see any other reason to take them."

6iqwlf3TIvb7tXGLSG8rfXwZGavbYyGt5c2_iFOY8YvAifx1oq6McFYDfTMg6agxp3Iry_j4uayrD4r2XzbS6t5EUeB_Y=s0.png

By Brian Merchant 8 hours agoTags: Social Media, culture, Internet, instagram, facebook, Dystopia Now

D

Deleted member 20

I think the gangsta, breaker/raver chick in the tbell pic is kinda cute. I wish he woke up & snatched that bitches fake chain & broke her fingers wearing that foolish ring. Is it wrong for me to want some red on her white outfit. Just goes to show, humbums sleep anywhere.

Those homeless would probably get the death penalty in Sarasota, Florida.

D

Deleted member 2626

mwhahah highwayman I dig your posts man. That bitch is obviously trying to be like that cunt miley cyrus. I myself don't watch t.v. or pertain to the current media but I know about that idiots persona and that chick is totally trying to be like her. Homebums can be douchebags but these dudes are just trying to get some shut eye.

K

Kim Chee

Just goes to show, humbums sleep anywhere.

I wouldn't be sleeping at a Tbell...I'd be in the dumpster getting all those chihuahua burritos they throw away and a handful of salsa packages that have mildly humorous quips on them.

Gotta be fast though. Tbell food turns to shit within 5 minutes after it is taken away from the heat lamps.

Thorne

Stuck and stagnant
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.houselessnothomeless.org
Wow! I am glad that you have the time to scour the internet for this stuff Matt. This can actually be very useful in my Thesis work. If you have any more links I'd love to get them. This is definitely something worth looking into even if it is sick.

One more thing that needs to be changed.

"All men are created equal." That is the biggest line of bullshit that we've ever been fed, and even all these years later, people are still eating it up with a smile on their face as the man stands behind them shoving the broken broom handle a little bit further in.

drewski

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
"All men are created equal." That is the biggest line of bullshit that we've ever been fed, and even all these years later, people are still eating it up with a smile on their face as the man stands behind them shoving the broken broom handle a little bit further in.

I totally feel what you're saying right here. I mean, is a fully able-bodied person equal to someone who is physically or mentally handicapped? I would like to think deep down at our core as just an existing life form we are all equal. We just aren't born into equal opportunities on this planet. I see a lot of people try to overcome that and you can read about or watch movies of people that have, but it seems rare compared to the majority. When you're born into poverty and you're not white, you're kinda screwed it seems at least in this country and that's just terrible.

MishMish

Reaction score
Ugh the rampant scum of the digi-youth culture...young people have nothing better to do and don't have/seldom heed anyone to tell them that what they're doing is fucked.

I wasn't homeless at the time but I once passed out drunk on south beach and woke up to a gaggle of sorority type chicks squatting down around me posing and cackling at me when I removed my straw hat to investigate wtf was going on, was too wiped out to care or protest, and sunk back down into coma mode.... living bodies twisted about like any other refuse becoming the backdrop to the narcissistic antics of pop/tech culture...i guess there's not much to be surprised about, really....homeless folks already live pretty transparent existences, with little to hide and little room for the class-related auspices of web embarrassment...none of those folks is likely to react like a sexually closeted mortified suburban teenager who had their sexploits snapped and posted. few would ever know the difference....The youth of this culture, in almost all circles, loves to engage in "prank" antics, without much regard to consequences or much room to view self as other in such situations...its kind of a heartless pack culture, but it doesn't exist in a vacuum....."here we are now...entertain us" ya know?

I wanna say...at least they aren't smashing bums? bc that happens too...

It would be kinda fun for any homeless advocate-type folks to stage themselves as passed out bums, with other folks filming the scene and then pop up and question the selfie pervs and post their faces elsewhere...I'd do it all dressed up and pop out like some self imposed patron saint of the slumbering destitute and demand that if photos be taken at least tacos should be left behind as an offering, damnit!

I guess that would be a remedy...selfies where folks leave snacks and water bottles for the homeless...like yeah you're drunk- but here don't get too dehydrated...we want to fuck around but we still give a fuck about your humanity...or something...

Ok...now I'm just rambling...too much coffee and too few interesting folks to chat with :p

Thorne

Stuck and stagnant
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.houselessnothomeless.org
I wanna say...at least they aren't smashing bums? bc that happens too...

It would be kinda fun for any homeless advocate-type folks to stage themselves as passed out bums, with other folks filming the scene and then pop up and question the selfie pervs and post their faces elsewhere...I'd do it all dressed up and pop out like some self imposed patron saint of the slumbering destitute and demand that if photos be taken at least tacos should be left behind as an offering, damnit!

I guess that would be a remedy...selfies where folks leave snacks and water bottles for the homeless...like yeah you're drunk- but here don't get too dehydrated...we want to fuck around but we still give a fuck about your humanity...or something...

:p

I have access to research facilities at Uof AZ. This might be something worth trying. I'm willing to give it a go here to see what happens.

And you're right, as horrible as it is, at least no one is getting hurt. It could be so much worse.

Reactions: MishMish
T

Tick Dickler

the worst part is that if you do anything about it you gon get jail time.
the second one of those homebums tries to push someone away from the them theyre gonna call the po-lice.

Kadidlehopper

Reaction score
man... honestly not even surprised at this kinda shit anymore, absolute morons clinging to the latest fabs, like that nekonomination shit. Obviously incapable of critical thinking, would probably either shrug or sneer 'so what' when confronted.

but If I ever caught one of these twits in action..

Reactions: Odin

johnnymarie

Reaction score
i WISH i would wake up to some dumbass teenie bopper bitch tryina take selfies with my sleepy ass. and i'd HOPE she got an unintentional shot of my boot meeting her privileged made up face.

Reactions: Odin

Rob Nothing

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I don't know. Fun reading these comments as much as reading the article.. especially mish mish.

I just know that if I ever saw one of me as the prop, I would, at length, proceed to laugh. Helplessly I think - not at all purposeful laughter like sometimes. This article is written by the selfsame privileged ennui-driven mindset the aforementioned teeniebopping selvers they rage upon therin are as much apart of. one put, two put. Red foot, blue foot.

years since I seen tv either.

To sum this up:

-These pictures are funny, and the kids taking them very young.
-Sentimentality about homelessness and the unfortunate is boorshway.
-Like television.

Last edited:
Reactions: MishMish
D

Deleted member 20

I don't know. Fun reading these comments as much as reading the article.. especially mish mish.

I just know that if I ever saw one of me as the prop, I would, at length, proceed to laugh. Helplessly I think - not at all purposeful laughter like sometimes. This article is written by the selfsame privileged ennui-driven mindset the aforementioned teeniebopping selvers they rage upon therin are as much apart of. one put, two put. Red foot, blue foot.

years since I seen tv either.

I have no idea how to translate this except the part about TV. You are welcome to come watch TV with me if you want, aint much else goin on here in Mass.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
::rage::

It never ceases to amaze me how the brutal and stupid are rewarded in society for marginalizing the less fortunate.

RAGE.

daveycrockett

Reaction score
Alot of these people taking the pics are too young too understand. With no life experience just a home life and have been taken care of very well. Ive been off and on the streets since i was young. Its hard to find people who are on the same level or with the same life experiences of being homeless and alone or travelling for most of their life. When i am with "normal" people they dont understand why i stop to talk or give money to random people and look down on me for it. My conscience is clear.

L

LiveFreeDieFree

The first pic:
Anyone else want to remove those douchers' teeth with the toe of a boot? Or a brick maybe...yeah, a brick!

I get too worked up over this type of trash. It actually makes my blood boil.. and im a fairly passive individual.

Charlie

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I sleep where nobody can see me for good reasons. If I don't want to be taken advantage of, I can try to change everybody that takes advantage and fail miserably, or I can stop allowing myself to be exposed when I'm vulnerable to be taken advantage of. If I'm awake, I can defend myself against.

I've woken up in some pretty sketchy situations. Don't like waking up with your truck in a snow bank? Don't drive when you're tired. Don't like waking up with penises and a hitler mustache drawn on your face with permanent marker? Don't pass out with your shoes on surrounded by rambunctious kids. Don't like getting a DUI? Don't drink and drive. Don't like being woken up by rude condescending security guards and/or police officers? Don't sleep in a place that prompts them to mess with you. If you're vulnerable, you can get upset and say everybody else has problems, or you can GET OVER IT, accept that everybody else has problems and there's no amount of complaining to fix it, and figure out what you're going to do about it to cover your own ass in the future.

Occasionally, I'll pick a place that's kinda in sight if I'm with somebody who's afraid of spiders and bugs, but when it's up to me, I sleep in the bushes where nobody's going to mess with me except the mosquitoes. I'd rather have a slug trail on my face than a damn instagram sponsor.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads