Self sustaining communities in Mexico/Central America....

Everymanalion

Reaction score
Anyone know of any? Hippie or not, where not money, but time, is how you earn food/shelter and what not. I am looking to join one eventually, one that plants it own food, Prefered in Mexico or Central America as warmth is always an issue for me, i need the sun! Thanks in advance.

Thoreau

Reaction score
Website
zinelibrary.info
Doesnt get any sunnier that south europe, there are some, i think there are many in spain, at least squats that want to become like that.
Should there must be in panama, although there are many dangerous there, they dont exactly live on those comunities becouse they want, its probably becouse they just have to, so the conditions might be not good
there is an amaizing one in Portugal if you get a chance to be here, ive been there, it is really something, it was also on TV. It sprung many to appear and now they are popular, there have been some former teachers goin there, so things should be nicely set up

http://www.tamera.org

Reactions: Everymanalion

Raging Bird

Reaction score
Website
www.ragingbirdofyouth.tumblr.com
I can't give you any specifics, but I was looking into this a few years ago. There are a lot of volunteer networks where you pay to get down there, then as long as you are working, you've got a place to stay and food to eat. If I remember, the most I found were in Nicaragua and Belize, with a few in Mexico. Again, can't give you anything specific, but maybe at least now you've got another avenue to search for in the volunteer route.

barefootinbabylon

Reaction score
WWOOF (you'll have to pay for a membership... i think there's one for MX and one for C.A., but i could be wrong...). growfood.org. again, you'll have to pay for a membership. ask around when you're actually IN the area, that might ultimately be your best bet...

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
theres one ive heard of in ometepe, nicaragua that willl pay you in food, booze, and cigs...no joke

Rambing Roots

Reaction score
http://artofunion.com/h_o_m_e_heaven_on_mother_earth_community
i visited this place 10 yrs ago,they had a work trade program and we stayed in a cave beside a water fall it was pretty chill, dont know whats going on there now.
i think there is a links page to a bunch of other communities in costa rica on there as well.
hope this helps out.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads