Seeking travel partner for car travel down the west coast, end of August (1 Viewer)

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Hey folks, I'm finally looking at the end of the tunnel here at my time in Walla Walla, Washington, so I'm starting to make plans for my trip down the west coast.

My job ends at the end of August. I've built an itinerary of destinations that have been on my bucket list for quite some time, that I'm hoping to knock out through the month of September. This list is a combination of urban exploration (abandoned places), visiting natural wonders (parks, hiking, exploring wilderness), visiting a few bars/shops of interest, and stopping by some roadside attractions (namely, Area 51/Tikaboo peak in Nevada).

The shorthand of this route is Seattle > Portland > Ashland > Eureka > SF > Santa Cruz > Las Vegas > Rachel, NV (Area 51) > Los Angeles > Slab City.

Here's a link to my WIP google maps route:

You can click on most of the destinations to see a website link for more info on each spot.

I will be traveling in a 2008 Toyota Prius. I've converted this car so I can sleep in it (I have a bed in the back). There's not a ton of room, but I can definitely take one other person with me, and we can squeeze 2 people with packs if I pack the bed up into the trunk during the day.

The major drawback to this setup is that there's definitely not enough room to sleep everyone in the vehicle at night. In a pinch, someone can sleep in the front seat and one in the back, but ideally we'd be stopping at free campsites where we can get out and pitch a tent most of the time.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PITCH IN ON GAS! I mean, I certainly won't stop you, but I'd rather have the company of some fun/awesome people than your gas money. Plus, i probably still have some karmic debt to pay back for all my years of hitchhiking. My prius gets excellent gas mileage (40-50 mpg) so even though we're covering a ton of miles, I'm not expecting to pay more than $400 or so dollars on gas for the whole trip.

That said, if you can cover your food and whatnot (even if it's just food stamps) that would be all i need from you.

You should be a fun, adventurous individual that isn't afraid to occasionally do something illegal. Mostly I'm talking about trespassing when exploring abandoned locations. One destination on my list had previously evaded me because the friend i took with me backed out at the last minute due to being afraid of some previous warrants. So if you're not willing to take some (reasonable) risks to see some epic places, please don't apply. For those thinking I'm talking about Area 51, I'm not. I'm not stupid, that exploration is going to take place on Tikaboo peak which is the only public land remaining that you can still view the base from :)

Women and LGBTQ are especially encouraged to join me (I am a cis white male), especially if you have a hard time finding people to travel with safely. I will not creep on you and I will have your back as my travel partner if anything bad happens.

Pets might be okay depending on the type and their behavior; keep in mind it's a very small vehicle. I am ridiculously allergic to cats, so that's a no-go, not even in a carrier.

I will try to take whoever I can, but I'd like to talk with you a bit beforehand (since this IS three months away) to make sure we'd get along. Once we get to the Slabs it's your responsibility to get set up there or move on, depending on what you want to do; if you're sticking around I'll definitely help you find a place to get set up, I just can't 100% guarantee you'll have a place to crash with me when we get there.

So, I think that's it. Probably the longest road dog posting in StP history, so thanks for bearing with me. Let me know if you have any questions!

Last edited:
We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

PrisMiQue

Current Location
Ventura, United States
Looks like a fun trip!
Your end destination is Slab city and I still haven’t been there!
I’m thinking maybe I can finally make it happen this year and go.
Is the jamboree going on there this year?
It’s weird but my dreams of been trying to tell me something, I think! Something in regards to traveling and being around the community of travelers. Maybe going to Slab city and being amongst travelers will ease my mind. I was afterall a street kid in my teens.
Hope you find a good travel partner!!

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Thanks, yeah the jambo will be Nov 8th, but I will be headed out there early around Oct 1st. I'm coming through LA if you want a ride :)

Ozean

Lurker
Current Location
Olympia, WA
Im in olympia, youre just east of me!
Sounds like an awesome road plan.
I havent been on here in a while, i think i remember you talking about biking the west coast scenic highway?

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Im in olympia, youre just east of me!
Sounds like an awesome road plan.
I havent been on here in a while, i think i remember you talking about biking the west coast scenic highway?
yep, that was me. made it about 60 mile or so till the non stop hills happened then gave up. i do want to do it again, but next time im gonna start somewhere flat and work my way up to doing crazy mountains, not start on them :p

you headed down the coast?

Ozean

Lurker
Current Location
Olympia, WA
Yeah, those oregon hills woulda killed me 😂
Plus some spots are pretty spooky, going around a corner praying you wont get hit..
So i understand.
I do plan on going down the coast, its my favorite route.
I got a 6 week under the table job that's gonna start once the weather clears up, afterwards ill take off.
When did you go to walla walla i thought you were in texas??

Dameon

Wanderer
Current Location
Northern California
Stop out here in Guerneville for a day or two. It's in the redwoods off the 101, lots of good camp spots, and you can hit the river before you hit SF.

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Stop out here in Guerneville for a day or two. It's in the redwoods off the 101, lots of good camp spots, and you can hit the river before you hit SF.
I will add it to my list. I take it that we can look forward to a visit from yourself if we do?

When did you go to walla walla i thought you were in texas??
I left Texas nearly 2 years ago, was traveling with a (now ex-) girlfriend in her RV for a while.

Current Location
Los Angeles
Would you like to meet up for coffee or drinks while you're in LA? Would love to listen to your story, am very interested in traveling when I get out of therapy.

Hudson

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Current Location
Norcal
Let me know when you hit the northern california area around the redwoods to the bay. Id like to buy you a round and bullshit.

Im in the greater tahoe area.

Kevo562

Lurker
Current Location
Socal
Hey! Sounds like a cool trip ive been intrigued by slab city and over all just the nomadic lifestyle. Im in the la area if i can tag along that way down to the slabs. If not i have couch for you if your ever in town. Safe travels!

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Hey! Sounds like a cool trip ive been intrigued by slab city and over all just the nomadic lifestyle. Im in the la area if i can tag along that way down to the slabs. If not i have couch for you if your ever in town. Safe travels!
Fo sure man, I'm sure I can find room to give you a ride. Would you be sticking around for the jambo?

Kevo562

Lurker
Current Location
Socal
Fo sure man, I'm sure I can find room to give you a ride. Would you be sticking around for the jambo?
I would like to make that possible i need to really start planning to be honest but hopefully ill be ready by then. It would be a very great 1st experience. But yeah let me know!

BlowUpTrains

Lurker
Current Location
9941 T601, Grantville, PA 17028, USA
I will be leaving seattle end of August, doing the exact same trip down west coast. I will be traveling via motorcycle and camping. I plan to do west coast, area 51, and ultimatly end up in slab city.

Matt, i met you a couple years ago in slab city. I stumbled upon the jamboree after a west coast bicycle trip, ended up meeting StP, playing guitar in talent show....had a great time.

I plan leave leave around aug. 31. Would be interested in exploring abandonded stuff.

I have not been on here in awhile, but im planning next adventure, so message me!

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
sounds good, maybe we could hit up a few places like area 51 and fort ord together? those are some places I could use a hiking buddy :) i'll send you a pm!

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
just wanted to post an update to let anyone interested know that i plan on being in the area for the area 51 raid that's going crazy viral on facebook right now. seems i should be there to visit area 51 anyways at the same time, so im sure it'll make for some funny youtube videos if i don't get disappeared.

Gypsy66

Lurker
Current Location
New Jersey
Hey folks, I'm finally looking at the end of the tunnel here at my time in Walla Walla, Washington, so I'm starting to make plans for my trip down the west coast.

My job ends at the end of August. I've built an itinerary of destinations that have been on my bucket list for quite some time, that I'm hoping to knock out through the month of September. This list is a combination of urban exploration (abandoned places), visiting natural wonders (parks, hiking, exploring wilderness), visiting a few bars/shops of interest, and stopping by some roadside attractions (namely, Area 51/Tikaboo peak in Nevada).

The shorthand of this route is Seattle > Portland > Ashland > Eureka > SF > Santa Cruz > Las Vegas > Rachel, NV (Area 51) > Los Angeles > Slab City.

Here's a link to my WIP google maps route:

You can click on most of the destinations to see a website link for more info on each spot.

I will be traveling in a 2008 Toyota Prius. I've converted this car so I can sleep in it (I have a bed in the back). There's not a ton of room, but I can definitely take one other person with me, and we can squeeze 2 people with packs if I pack the bed up into the trunk during the day.

The major drawback to this setup is that there's definitely not enough room to sleep everyone in the vehicle at night. In a pinch, someone can sleep in the front seat and one in the back, but ideally we'd be stopping at free campsites where we can get out and pitch a tent most of the time.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PITCH IN ON GAS! I mean, I certainly won't stop you, but I'd rather have the company of some fun/awesome people than your gas money. Plus, i probably still have some karmic debt to pay back for all my years of hitchhiking. My prius gets excellent gas mileage (40-50 mpg) so even though we're covering a ton of miles, I'm not expecting to pay more than $400 or so dollars on gas for the whole trip.

That said, if you can cover your food and whatnot (even if it's just food stamps) that would be all i need from you.

You should be a fun, adventurous individual that isn't afraid to occasionally do something illegal. Mostly I'm talking about trespassing when exploring abandoned locations. One destination on my list had previously evaded me because the friend i took with me backed out at the last minute due to being afraid of some previous warrants. So if you're not willing to take some (reasonable) risks to see some epic places, please don't apply. For those thinking I'm talking about Area 51, I'm not. I'm not stupid, that exploration is going to take place on Tikaboo peak which is the only public land remaining that you can still view the base from :)

Women and LGBTQ are especially encouraged to join me (I am a cis white male), especially if you have a hard time finding people to travel with safely. I will not creep on you and I will have your back as my travel partner if anything bad happens.

Pets might be okay depending on the type and their behavior; keep in mind it's a very small vehicle. I am ridiculously allergic to cats, so that's a no-go, not even in a carrier.

I will try to take whoever I can, but I'd like to talk with you a bit beforehand (since this IS three months away) to make sure we'd get along. Once we get to the Slabs it's your responsibility to get set up there or move on, depending on what you want to do; if you're sticking around I'll definitely help you find a place to get set up, I just can't 100% guarantee you'll have a place to crash with me when we get there.

So, I think that's it. Probably the longest road dog posting in StP history, so thanks for bearing with me. Let me know if you have any questions!
I am certainly interested in your travel plan. It fits my departure time perfectly. Gives me a chance to save some money as well. The only thing is we are traveling from opposites sides of the country.:) I suppose we would need a meet up place.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$110.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $110.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Fever in the funk house now
Fever in the funkhouse now
nearly got arrested this morning for graffiti crime! I wrote"nice toilet, five stars will shit here again" and this fucking KID who looked like a fucking boy scout wanted to arrest me !?!?!?!?!?!? did I get that drunk I woke up in north korea this morning ?
I regret to announce that I will no longer be associating myself with squat the planet due to a very deep and nuanced personal disagreement and subsequent disrespect. If you would like to get the full story, feel free to contact me directly. I will still be hosting this year's annual party as i have for the past four years.
Happy :) 8 more days till my babe is out <3
2800 k this past week or so on teh vespa!ODIN give me a medal !
Scooped up some dirty kids from the USA at walmart. Glad we caught ya's and had some time to party before you headed out. Safe travels Sasha and Meaghan! You're fucking awesome!
Lovely, and greasy... duh