Seeking sober/recovering road dawgs to travel with.

highwayman

Emperor of the North Pole
Lifetime Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Mostly in New Bedford, Mass when home.
Now I gots nada against all yous who still drink & drug. I dont and coming on a continuous 5 years of being in recovery on 3/1. This trip for me is gonna be a trip of reflection & appreciation of my new sober life. I have also been celibate, not had a fistfight, not been arrested & more good shit I forgot since my getting sober. I actually got sober while traveling in ATX while following my fav band & the rest is history. Never looked back, never had a desire or even a single thought about drinking. I have gone to AA meetings but can & do go months without attending, never really had a traditional sponsor or got hung up on the steps. I just try to do the right thing & not be a total asshole, today.

So in a sort of nod to my 5 year sobriety anniversary, I was thinking of heading out traveling. Id like to get my 5 year AA medallion somewhere around Austin. I got a friend there. I am a long-time, part-time traveler. I got an apt, family with kids/pets etc but have always set aside a few months annually to go travel. I have been stagnant for over a year+ (not traveling). I am not exactly going stir crazy as my homelife is really well balanced atm. I live in New Bedford, Mass and obviously need to get somewhere warmer (Texas/NOLA/FLa). I am thinking of heading out in Feb/March and being in ATX on 2/27 and or SA on 2/28. While that destination, timeline & narrative plan to be part of this trip, the rest is unknown. I aint really a hippie but have been to O-cala/A-cola around this time frame before & not completely against stopping through if thats yo thang. I have always viewed traveling as a way to recharge my spiritual batteries & find gratitude for my life.

Perhaps you got wheels & you want a rubber tramp wing man for a bit (sorry no license & little cash), lets ride & gas jug. More likely you are also in the Northeast & wanna hitch, hop & or rideshare to warmer regions, so lets talk. Id rather not play the role of a train hopping instructor on this trip & just connect with a competent traveler who shares & or is compatible with my sober lifestyle choices & sarcastic sense of humor. I dont smoke and and am kinda a cleanish traveler. Not interested in forming a group or traveling with solo women travelers, just looking for another guy atleast age 20ish+ to sub 50ish. I'm not really a dog dude either.

I usually travel alone because I am picky with whom I keep company. If by chance another user here shares some mutual things in common with me and wants to travel; even better.

Last edited:
OP
OP
highwayman

highwayman

Lifetime Supporter
Threads
Current Location
So it looks like I could not connect with a fellow recovering & experienced traveler this time around. I am unsure how/when the trip is gonna start but most likely as I am trying to line up a rideshare or get up dough for BOS-NYC chinatown bus & a NYC-ATL megabus $25 first. I am heading out in two weeks goin south as stated. Gotta get through NYC towards warmer southbound climes. I then plan on attending the Apalachicola Rainbow gathering, riding CSX to NOLA, getting to the DKM concert in ATX, celebrating my 5 year anniversary in AA in Austin, DKM in SA & also gonna hit the Leftover Crack/Days-n-Daze show in San Antonio on 3/1 then probably travel back northeast from there.

RiDe SoLo, riDe Sobah!

Last edited:
OP
OP
highwayman

highwayman

Lifetime Supporter
Threads
Current Location
For the record I am seeking fellow sober & recovering people who are actively living a life of self improvement. My definition of sober is not just a temporary thing like someone abstaining for a weekend or in certain circumstances. I see sobriety & recovery as a lifelong pursuit. I dont have a problem with booze or drugs being around me. I just chose not to associate with those who drink & use at this point in my life. I am not judging any others lifestyles, I just seek recovering types to travel with. Especially since attending AA meetings is a large part of my traveling life.

Last edited: