Seasteading Out In The Open Ocean (1 Viewer)

OP
Nemowons

Nemowons

I've been muted for 30 days.
muted
Current Location
DC, USA
I really do wish you the best of luck man, but come on seriously, do you really think youtube links from the mummy and kingsmen would throttle people into blindly jumping on this idea?

I'm conflicted as to if this is a pretty good troll, or like I dunno just a dude not exactly living in the same reality as the rest of us.

If yer looking for people who aren't just interested in living outside of the system, but who actually do it (and in some cases pretty successfully if I do say so myself) then yea stp is a good place, but that doesn't seem to be what you want. You want blind followers who don't question you when yer wrong. And uh, yer wrong here man. You didn't think this through.

Kinda unrelated but for the 2nd time now fuck yer spiel sure does ever sound like cult recruiting 101.
I find it very interesting that though you claimed in your last post that you're not playing this counter-balance game, but yet here you are continuing to play this game of counter-balance even within your own writings. On the one hand you wish me luck, while on the other hand you jab me with negative down putting comments.

Fear leads to mistrust, which prevents people from working together to leave the SYSTEM. It is interesting that you have twice now tried to associate me with the word cult to frighten people from collaborating to leave the SYSTEM.

No community that is composed of intelligent people with love & compassion, who can think, reason, and act for themselves can ever be a cult; it is not possible. All cult system exhibit tyranny & oppression, which can only happens when people are ostracized or isolated from each others (be it psychological or physical isolation) so they don't help or defend each others. When you have a community of people who love and care for each others, they will naturally come to help & defend each others, which prevent tyranny & oppression. Thus, no cult system can take root.

The main hallmarks of any cult system is fear and dependency. Fear is used to force compliance and to prevent people from leaving. For example: Many documentaries on cult societies often talk about this shunning. Families of those who leave a cult are made to shun those who left and have no contact with them. So they employed the fear of loosing contact with love-ones to frighten people from leaving. All cult system used one form or another of fear mongering to frighten people from leaving.

I am well aware of this game of fear being played across America also. Every time someone tries to form a new community, there's always some people who comes out of the woodwork to frighten people with fear of cult, or fear of pirates, or fear of the government coming to raid their community. This game of using fear to frighten people from leaving has been played since ancient time. They used to promote the idea that the world was flat to frighten people from leaving Europe and sailing to new land. Don't sail too far or you'll fall off the world. Or they promoted the idea that there are sea monsters out there, so don't sail too far out or the monsters will get ya. In modern time, pirates or storms are used in lieu of sea monsters; but the same game of fear is still being played.

But here's the thing. When the founding fathers created America, they put into the Constitution and into the Legislation the means for people to create new community. In other words, they were encouraging people to build & create new communities (which is an expression of freedom & liberty). But yet after 200+ years, people are now being frighten with fear to keep them from leaving & forming new communities. Interesting how things are turning upside down.

Love, intelligent, and the hope/thirst for freedom override fear. For examples:

When children are frighten, they naturally come running to their parents; who comfort them with love and affection, which allow them to overcome their fear.

When people with a love for freedom are wrongly imprisoned, they will constantly try to find a way to free themselves. Their thirst/hope for freedom is so strong that it will override the fear imposed on them by the imprisoning system.

There is an old saying: "People fear what they do not understand." What sort of people lack understanding and are easily frighten? Certainly not people who are self-motivated to search out knowledge if they don't understand something.

Why do you think I am looking to connect with people that wants to build a seasteading community to rescue the homeless? If a person is capable of loving & caring for those that are at the very bottom of society, then they are capable of loving & caring for others. Which means they will come to aide & defend each others. Their love and caring for each others will allow them to face & overcome any fear thrown at them.

Why do you think the consumer SYSTEM is creating laws to prevent people from being able to feed or help the homeless? People are being prevented from being able to show love and compassion to the homeless. What do you think will be the consequences of such a path?

Last edited:
Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!

SlankyLanky

stp user voted "the friendliest mod"
Staff member
Current Location
richmond virginia, the east coasts portland.
I find it very interesting that though you claimed in your last post that you're not playing this counter-balance game, but yet here you are continuing to play this game of counter-balance even within your own writings. On the one hand you wish me luck, while on the other hand you jab me with negative down putting comments.

Fear leads to mistrust, which prevents people from working together to leave the SYSTEM. It is interesting that you have twice now tried to associate me with the word cult to frighten people from collaborating to leave the SYSTEM.

No community that is composed of intelligent people with love & compassion, who can think, reason, and act for themselves can ever be a cult; it is not possible. All cult system exhibit tyranny & oppression, which can only happens when people are ostracized or isolated from each others (be it psychological or physical isolation) so they don't help or defend each others. When you have a community of people who love and care for each others, they will naturally come to help & defend each others, which prevent tyranny & oppression. Thus, no cult system can take root.

The main hallmarks of any cult system is fear and dependency. Fear is used to force compliance and to prevent people from leaving. For example: Many documentaries on cult societies often talk about this shunning. Families of those who leave a cult are made to shun those who left and have no contact with them. So they employed the fear of loosing contact with love-ones to frighten people from leaving. All cult system used one form or another of fear mongering to frighten people from leaving.

I am well aware of this game of fear being played across America also. Every time someone tries to form a new community, there's always some people who comes out of the woodwork to frighten people with fear of cult, or fear of pirates, or fear of the government coming to raid their community. This game of using fear to frighten people from leaving has been played since ancient time. They used to promote the idea that the world was flat to frighten people from leaving Europe and sailing to new land. Don't sail too far or you'll fall off the world. Or they promoted the idea that there are sea monsters out there, so don't sail too far out or the monsters will get ya. In modern time, pirates or storms are used in lieu of sea monsters; but the same game of fear is still being played.

But here's the thing. When the founding fathers created America, they put into the Constitution and into the Legislation the means for people to create new community. In other words, they were encouraging people to build & create new communities (which is an expression of freedom & liberty). But yet after 200+ years, people are now being frighten with fear to keep them from leaving & forming new communities. Interesting how things are turning upside down.

Love, intelligent, and the hope/thirst for freedom override fear. For examples:

When children are frighten, they naturally come running to their parents; who comfort them with love and affection, which allow them to overcome their fear.

When people with a love for freedom are wrongly imprisoned, they will constantly try to find a way to free themselves. Their thirst/hope for freedom is so strong that it will override the fear imposed on them by the imprisoning system.

There is an old saying: "People fear what they do not understand." What sort of people lack understanding and are easily frighten? Certainly not people who are self-motivated to search out knowledge if they don't understand something.

Why do you think I am looking to connect with people that wants to build a seasteading community to rescue the homeless? If a person is capable of loving & caring for those that are at the very bottom of society, then they are capable of loving & caring for others. Which means they will come to aide & defend each others. Their love and caring for each others will allow them to face & overcome any fear thrown at them.

I'm gonna be 100% honest with you, I stopped reading this reply after I read "I find it very interesting that". I've made my point and in a rare time for stp I'm not getting poop emojis for saying what other people think is too rude to say, which is dude as much as some of us have tried to entertain yer idea it's pretty obvious you didn't think it through and that frankly it's a foolish idea.

It really seems dumb of me to keep replying since I'm now convinced more then at the beginning of yer thread that uh, well yer a wingnut.

Edit: also the wall of text that I'm not even gonna bother reading most likely falls under our rules against posting spam/irrelevant shit. So verbal warning give it a rest.

Engineer J Lupo

the most derailingest mod.
Staff member
Current Location
530 Rackerby, California
Website
youtu.be
I find it interesting that you'll go on in crazy fucking detail for multiple paragraphs on multiple replies even trying to explain the counter-balance game, the benefits of people cooperating and what the SYSTEM is about but somebody asks one simple question about your plan and you won't even touch it. You're a troll, this post is dumb AF.

Dameon

Wanderer
Current Location
Northern California
I find it interesting that you'll go on in crazy fucking detail for multiple paragraphs on multiple replies even trying to explain the counter-balance game, the benefits of people cooperating and what the SYSTEM is about but somebody asks one simple question about your plan and you won't even touch it. You're a troll, this post is dumb AF.
Apparently we're the crazy ones for questioning how you're going to move all the homeless people out to utopian sea settlements without everybody just dying.

OP
Nemowons

Nemowons

I've been muted for 30 days.
muted
Current Location
DC, USA
Since I already got a verbal warning, I don't want to say anything that will cause strike against me. I'm a person who say thing straight up as I see it, and it can offend people even though that is not my intention. So if you really want me to honestly answer those question you just ask. Don't fault me for being honest and I'll speak. You're the staff, I'm just a new member on the forum looking to connect & make friends with people of like mind that can understand me.

The mission statement of STP said that this is a place for :

"Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers."
"That’s a fancy way of saying we’re a bunch of nomads, migrant punks, hippies, and other misfit travelers that believe in the DIY ethic born out of the anarcho-punk counter-culture. Our community is centered around many different kinds of travel and the freedoms they provide. "

Definition of misfit:
"a person whose behavior or attitude sets them apart from others in an uncomfortably conspicuous way."

So as a misfit, my way of thinking and doing things are not going to be the same way as what you expect it to be. But that does not make me a troll for being a misfit.

The mission statement also said this:

"Who this Website is for

It’s also for those tired of being told that everything has to have a price tag, and that the only way to see other parts of the world is by working most of the year and saving for that two weeks of freedom we call a ‘vacation’.
So if you can’t see yourself traveling due to the costs involved, or you’re looking for an alternative to what society tells you is the right way to travel (or live), you’ve come to the right place. "

SlankyLanky

Staff member
Current Location
Since I already got a verbal warning, I don't want to say anything that will cause strike against me. I'm a person who say thing straight up as I see it, and it can offend people even though that is not my intention. So if you really want me to honestly answer those question you just ask. Don't fault me for being honest and I'll speak. You're the staff, I'm just a new member on the forum looking to connect & make friends with people of like mind that can understand me.

The mission statement of STP said that this is a place for :

"Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers."
"That’s a fancy way of saying we’re a bunch of nomads, migrant punks, hippies, and other misfit travelers that believe in the DIY ethic born out of the anarcho-punk counter-culture. Our community is centered around many different kinds of travel and the freedoms they provide. "

Definition of misfit:
"a person whose behavior or attitude sets them apart from others in an uncomfortably conspicuous way."

So as a misfit, my way of thinking and doing things are not going to be the same way as what you expect it to be. But that does not make me a troll for being a misfit.

The mission statement also said this:

"Who this Website is for

It’s also for those tired of being told that everything has to have a price tag, and that the only way to see other parts of the world is by working most of the year and saving for that two weeks of freedom we call a ‘vacation’.
So if you can’t see yourself traveling due to the costs involved, or you’re looking for an alternative to what society tells you is the right way to travel (or live), you’ve come to the right place. "
Welp ok. I guess I missed the part of the mission statement where it says "come on down with crackpot ideas and waste peoples time by using unrelated youtube links to illustrate yer point! We love that shit here!" Yer account has been muted. For fucks sake man, take a god damn hint will ya? It's very probable at this point yer ideas ain't exactly gonna float around here. Get it? Float.

Juan Derlust

Resident itinerant paradoxymoron
StP Supporter
Current Location
in medias res
Can we get a Rabbit Hole Forum for fools like me who are endlessly fascinated by this shit?

C'mon @SlankyLanky you gotta admire @Nemowons' tenacity.

Hold on a second! Nemowons is Snowomen backwards...

Last edited:

coltsfoot

Current Location
downeast maine
Welp ok. I guess I missed the part of the mission statement where it says "come on down with crackpot ideas and waste peoples time by using unrelated youtube links to illustrate yer point! We love that shit here!" Yer account has been muted. For fucks sake man, take a god damn hint will ya? It's very probable at this point yer ideas ain't exactly gonna float around here. Get it? Float.

I guess if you feel it's such a waste of time I wonder why you keep engaging with it? To be real, when I meet people (on here or out there) talking how theyre gonna "save the world" with their radical "never been thought of" ideas and shit like that I roll my eyes.. and if I don't think it's interesting I just walk away. But idunno, I try to leave space for people who Are interested in their stuff to engage.

I also feel like this is a community full of super misunderstood people who find solace in a space where they can be themselves without fear of judgement as long as they're not being shitty. But sometimes it feels like there is a Specific Brand of misfit that is respected here and people who fly too far outside of that defined realm aren't really accepted. beyond honest questioning and constructive criticism i think ur being a little hard on the dude in my humble opinion.

SlankyLanky

Staff member
Current Location
I guess if you feel it's such a waste of time I wonder why you keep engaging with it? To be real, when I meet people (on here or out there) talking how theyre gonna "save the world" with their radical "never been thought of" ideas and shit like that I roll my eyes.. and if I don't think it's interesting I just walk away. But idunno, I try to leave space for people who Are interested in their stuff to engage.

I also feel like this is a community full of super misunderstood people who find solace in a space where they can be themselves without fear of judgement as long as they're not being shitty. But sometimes it feels like there is a Specific Brand of misfit that is respected here and people who fly too far outside of that defined realm aren't really accepted. beyond honest questioning and constructive criticism i think ur being a little hard on the dude in my humble opinion.
I appreciate the input.

Dameon

Wanderer
Current Location
Northern California
But sometimes it feels like there is a Specific Brand of misfit that is respected here and people who fly too far outside of that defined realm aren't really accepted. beyond honest questioning and constructive criticism i think ur being a little hard on the dude in my humble opinion.
We accept misfits of all kinds. But we don't automatically buy into pipe dreams that are presented as reality. We may even feel a responsibility to steer other users on here away from those pipe dreams to protect them, by exposing the major flaws in turning those dreams into reality. Especially when the person pushing those dreams has no actual concept of how feasible it is or how to accomplish it, but presents it as a 100% realistic, feasible goal without proper planning or research.

Being accepting of people doesn't mean you have to accept their ridiculous pipe dreams and let them fly unchallenged. If dude was approaching this stuff as "is this possible? What could we do to make this happen, how do we begin?" That would be one thing, but dude is essentially trying to recruit for his water cult, not presenting an idea for discussion.

coltsfoot

Current Location
downeast maine
We accept misfits of all kinds. But we don't automatically buy into pipe dreams that are presented as reality. We may even feel a responsibility to steer other users on here away from those pipe dreams to protect them, by exposing the major flaws in turning those dreams into reality. Especially when the person pushing those dreams has no actual concept of how feasible it is or how to accomplish it, but presents it as a 100% realistic, feasible goal without proper planning or research.

Being accepting of people doesn't mean you have to accept their ridiculous pipe dreams and let them fly unchallenged. If dude was approaching this stuff as "is this possible? What could we do to make this happen, how do we begin?" That would be one thing, but dude is essentially trying to recruit for his water cult, not presenting an idea for discussion.
To me saying that you wanna "steer other users away" to "protect them" sounds way more culty than anything this person has said and also doesnt really give people the credit to have the intelligence or ability to think for themselves. idk i also just dont think that its anyone's job here to shepherd the masses or whatever but maybe im missin something.

and how many times did people tell you the shit you believed in or were dreaming of was impossible but you went for it anyway? and how many times did you embark on something without a "100% realistic, feasible goal without proper planning or research". and figured it out as u went along? or maybe failed fucking miserably but developed so much wisdom from it? regardless of how ridick the ideas actually are to me i still dont see the merit spending the energy to shoot the dude down in this way.

as a side note I wanna say I super appreciate everyone here who contributes to stp especially the mods who keep things running nicely so know im coming from a place of respect this is nothin personal. i just believe in dreaming cuz for me very little beauty in this world comes from whats safe, known and predictable

Dameon

Wanderer
Current Location
Northern California
To me saying that you wanna "steer other users away" to "protect them" sounds way more culty than anything this person has said and also doesnt really give people the credit to have the intelligence or ability to think for themselves. idk i also just dont think that its anyone's job here to shepherd the masses or whatever but maybe im missin something.
Maybe if I was lying or concealing information to people to steer them away, rather than dishing out straight facts. It's all our job to shepherd and protect all of each other. It's not that people lack intelligence or ability to think for themselves, it's that they may lack the experience and/or knowledge to recognize that trying to establish a water commune for homeless people is a bad idea. If you were getting involved in a pyramid scheme and a friend gave you facts about that pyramid scheme and how pyramid schemes don't work out well for most people, would you get upset because you're capable of thinking for yourself and ignore your friend's advice because it's not their job to protect you? I'd hope not.

and how many times did people tell you the shit you believed in or were dreaming of was impossible but you went for it anyway?
Many times. But they were almost always speaking from a position of ignorance. When I told people I was going to become a sailor and get a boat when I had never been on a sailboat before and had no money, the people who were the most ignorant about sailing and boats told me it was impossible, and the few actual sailors I talked to told me the opposite.

and how many times did you embark on something without a "100% realistic, feasible goal without proper planning or research". and figured it out as u went along?
For little things? Many times. For large life decisions involving me and many other people? Almost never. Creating a community living on the ocean out of homeless people isn't exactly a journey that makes any sense to embark on without proper planning and research, unless you're totally okay with killing yourself and a bunch of other people because you couldn't be bothered to plan and research.

Juan Derlust

Resident itinerant paradoxymoron
StP Supporter
Current Location
in medias res
@coltsfoot: I agree with the spirit of what your saying, but I also agree with @Dameon & @SlankyLanky - we should be able to inquire openly on this platform & call out bullshit when necessary. We're all subject to the same laws, logic, and conventions here - in life, not just this site.

Last edited:

coltsfoot

Current Location
downeast maine
Yea. I just wanna be clear that i super believe in thoughtful and critical inquiry, just not when its more along the lines of naysaying/shooting people down or whatever because i dont think that line of thinking leads to anything new or interesting. What for some is impossible for others is reality.

And i certainly dont need to be shepherded by anyone. Id rather just have a weird conversation about underwater forests or whatever. I dont need the bullshit patrol to come save me from some random dudes pipedream.

But yea, i feel like ive said my piece and i hear where yall are coming from. dont wanna go on about it so im gonna respectfully bow out. viva poppa neutrino

Engineer J Lupo

the most derailingest mod.
Staff member
Current Location
530 Rackerby, California
Website
youtu.be
I can understand where you're coming from @coltsfoot . I just hope it's clear nobody here was really naysaying or shooting OP down(at least to begin with). It was more like "So how's this gonna work? Can you elaborate on this one part please?" and they just completely ignored any difficult questions and instead just linked videos and rambled on about behaviors and what the shit. I seriously wanted to know how this was gonna work.

I think that's all any of us wanted but OP kept dancing around the inquiries. So you kinda start to get concerned like yo is this cat gonna end up killing a bunch of people out on the sea? See, you might not need to be shepherded and I don't think the majority of people here need to be shepherded but what if 3% of the people are mindless fucking dolts right? I mean that's just the case anywhere in the world innit?(probably by a larger margin tbh)

So let's say we don't put OP on blast and that 3% here are like jeez OP sure sounds like a good idea to us, let's get out there on the seas! Idk, I feel like we have an obligation to at very least point out dangers when people are using this site to recruit from. It's sort of the same thing with the skeevy truck drivers that pop in around here sometimes.

Maybe people don't need to be protected from potential predators but what if just one person does? And that's the person that took the ride? So we ask questions. Like yo why are you only offering rides to females? What's your motive? I don't think there's anything wrong with asking some questions when other peoples safety is on the line.

If someone said "yanno I think I wanna hop a train, see what that's like" wouldn't you be like "whoa ummm, so have you ever done that before? Are you aware of the dangers involved? Do you know what you're doing?" Or would you just be like cool.. have fun! ?

Dameon

Wanderer
Current Location
Northern California
And i certainly dont need to be shepherded by anyone. Id rather just have a weird conversation about underwater forests or whatever. I dont need the bullshit patrol to come save me from some random dudes pipedream.
If it was just idle conversation, or a "could we make this possible?" conversation, that'd be one thing, but dude considers this something that he's 100% going to do, and he may be able to actually lure in people who don't understand the difficulties, and that could at the least be a waste of time in their lives, and at worst it could cost them their lives. You personally may not be one of those people, but that doesn't mean I should just keep my mouth shut in case I'm just considered to be shooting somebody down.

You're stuck on the "shepherding" terminology. If you're too good to ever accept anybody's advice even if they may have more experience with something, because you don't need anybody "shepherding" you, your life must be very difficult.

Last edited:

MFB

Rambler
Current Location
CO
Just read this whole thread.
Im curious, would it be possible to put some bitchin' waterslides in?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $70.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $70.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $70.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Turns out, @Rhubarb Dwyer is even more handsome in person.
Watch out Australia! Tay is flying in on the 24th!
It only took three cities over three different time zones, but I finally got to meet up with @IVth. And, lemme tell ya, it was worth every mile. What a mensch!
dumpsternavel wrote on Erinn Oface's profile.
I wanna see more of your arrrrttttttt
I made it to dayton with time to spare, i went belen/kc(for supplies)/chicago(i got robbed)/indy/dayton. Besides getting robbed in chicago the trip has been great, quick trains good kickdowns and a nice 2 ride hitchhike to dayton.
io2286 wrote on coolusername123's profile.
Hobosexual- someone who has a relationship to get a place to stay
Happy friday the 13th!
Hmu or send something my way
Cheers!
It takes forever to do profiles via smartphone.. I'll fill this out on a laptop later.. me and my wife, Straps, recently moved from NC to central Ohio and are looking for like minded folks. Oldschool punk and metal etc is our tastes but not limited to. She does Vocals as well as I.. I also play bass. And am currently working on a demo. Think serial killer true crime punk.. not 'horror punk'.. true horror, yes.
*will update tonight
wheels are made for rollin/mules are made to pack/I never seen a sight that didnt look better lookin back

Members online