Seasteading Out In The Open Ocean (1 Viewer)

Juan Derlust

Resident itinerant paradoxymoron
StP Supporter
Current Location
in medias res
A (theoretically) more sustainable model might be to figure a way to colonize that mid-Pacific garbage raft I keep reading about - the mass that's bigger than Texas. Just plant a flag & it's yers.

Last edited:
We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

WyldLyfe

Pilgrim
Current Location
Australia
Thank you WyldLyfe for the info about the Bajau people. Very cool.

No problem.
I envisioned similar setting as this. Except our floating community will have the benefits of advance technology of a developed nation, and better infrastructure design.
Thats good, im sure people as they have stated are interested to see the details and plans. Iv contributed to modern day style/typical western houses via, roof-tiling, plastering, skylights, insulation, concreting, landscaping ect.. on land is one thing, the ocean.. another, not saying it couldn't be done. There is also the transport of materials and tools needed, to work sites. As for your underwater forest you want to create, research is needed, on what thrives in whatever location, how it interacts with other things in the habitat, you could introduce something that could cause harm to the existing habitat, sea cows or something may drift on through and eat your forest too. There is quiet a bit to consider is what people here are saying. Have you also seen that place in Italy, Venice, its a city or town on water but its been slowly sinking over time apparently.

SAIL THE SEA! SAIL THE GLORIOUS OCEAN, @Juan Derlust!! NEVER FEAR! NEVER SURRENDER!! 🐟⛈🐳🦈 🌊

mellowgrayalbertosaurus-max-1mb-gif.52720_Seasteading Out In The Open Ocean_Boat Punk / Sailing_Squat the Planet_8:56 AM

Last edited:

Juan Derlust

StP Supporter
Current Location
in medias res
I was beginning to wonder when we were gonna see a remake of Waterworld.

With sea level rising, we're bound to see more of these efforts

coltsfoot

Current Location
downeast maine
I am new to this forum, and I respect its rules of conduct; and fully intend to abide by it to the best of my understanding/interpretation of its rule. I have shown you due courtesy in taking the time and efforts to answer your 2 questions. You asked about electricity and about food production, which I have explained how this community will meet those needs (via underwater food forest and via usage of wave, wind, or water to generate electricity). If you choose to think that I haven't answered your questions, there is not much I can do about it. That is your personal opinion.
People who are naive and full of lofty ideas seem to be eaten as a snack around here 😅

blank

Pilgrim
Current Location
Southern GA
This is by far my favorite topic on this website. Nothing to contribute except I look forward to the headlines about the technologically advanced ocean commune's war with the African pirates. I highly suggest looking into some kind of giant "death beam" style laser.

OP
Nemowons

Nemowons

I've been muted for 30 days.
muted
Current Location
DC, USA
My question is how do you plan on dealing with mercury and microplastics in your food if that's where most of you're nutrient intake is coming from? I'm asking this as someone whose life is intertwined with the sea - and it's a big concern for us here.

And I'm also interested in hearing more about the underwater forest in general.
Issue of Mercury:

Mercury contamination "tend" to be confined to the land, inland water ways, and coastal area from where the contamination originated.
inline-jpg.52738_Seasteading Out In The Open Ocean_Boat Punk / Sailing_Squat the Planet_11:19 AM

Now it's the methylmercury that is of pertinent concern. It is the methylation of Mercury (Hg) that produces the neurotoxic, highly bioaccumulative methylmercury (MeHg). Now keep this in mind. Mercury is a metal and it is almost 5.43 times more dense than water, so it sinks/settles to the bottom.

The scientists did a global study to find out where are these methylation sites , by looking for the two genes hgcAB needed for methylation in bacteria. This is what they found. I quote from the article link below.

"The hgcAB genes were found in nearly all anaerobic (but not aerobic) environments, including oxygenated layers of the open ocean."
Link: Global prevalence and distribution of genes and microorganisms involved in mercury methylation | Science Advances - https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/1/9/e1500675

f1-large-jpg.52739_Seasteading Out In The Open Ocean_Boat Punk / Sailing_Squat the Planet_11:19 AM

Now should the mercury get methylated before they sink to the bottom. "At the surface, sunlight destroys up to 80 per cent of the methylmercury produced by these bacteria"
Source link: Deep sea mercury mystery solved › News in Science (ABC Science) - https://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2013/08/27/3834929.htm

Oysters make excellent bio-filtration system at the bottom. (Just don't eat them).

This is one of the reason why the open Ocean is chosen as site for our seasteading community.

Issue of micro-plastics:

"Microplastic concentrations decrease exponentially with depth, and approach zero within 5 meters of depth, regardless of the wind speed and particle type."

Source: Ocean Plastic Mostly Near Surface Study Shows | Updates - https://theoceancleanup.com/updates/ocean-plastic-mostly-near-surface-study-shows/

10102016_updatenaturegraph-jpg.52740_Seasteading Out In The Open Ocean_Boat Punk / Sailing_Squat the Planet_11:19 AM

On land, trees are used to absorb pollutants.

_92157567_pmgraphic_creditericasimekslonikertnc-jpg.52741_Seasteading Out In The Open Ocean_Boat Punk / Sailing_Squat the Planet_11:19 AM

We apply the same principle to our underwater forest. The outer ring of forest is used as a shield wall to absorb and entrap micro-plastics. The inner ring of the forest are used as a food production system that exist in a clean environment. The outer ring forest will have species that consume micro-plastics, like sea snails and oysters. The sea snails bio-accumulate the microplastics by consuming contaminated algae in the outer ring. They then poop out the accumulated microplastics, which in turn is further bio-accumulate and concentrated by the oysters at the bottom of the outer ring. We turn bio-accumulation from a negative thing to a positive/advantageous thing in a bio-filtration system.

Addendum:
Forgot to mention, the principle goal is building a micro environment that is self-sustaining. Like an oasis in the middle of a desert. This micro environment is neither affected by the global polluted environment nor does it affects the global environment since it is self-contain. The desert doesn't affects the oasis, nor does the oasis affects the desert.

Last edited:

Juan Derlust

StP Supporter
Current Location
in medias res
This all reminds me of my schizophrenic uncle's 'Hat-Pack' scheme, where he tried to develop a device for folks to carry burdens on their head, like certain places in Africa - he stubbornly rejected any & all constructive criticism.

He even story-boarded a commercial for it, and when I advised him to submit it to Saturday Night Live as a parody advertisement, he didn't talk to me for years

Last edited:

roughdraft

~
Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
maryland
But here's the thing though. It is my humble opinion that it is unfair to not inform the audience of the rules to this game of counter balance that they are being subjected to. It's like being invited to a poker game without being inform of the rules to the game. The odds would be stack against such person. I think that is neither fair, nor just.
So are you saying that before someone makes a counterpoint or decides to ask for an elaboration…. that they should state "Okay, just in case it isn't obvious, I will now give a differing perspective on this matter that you are reading or hearing about"?

The odds are not stacked against anyone at all (in my opinion) who is being challenged….unless they waffle on giving detail to the very complex claim that *they* began the discussion with.

This sort of reads like politics, just hop on board guys! (no pun intended)

And I'd venture to say too, poker is *not* like people just talking...

Last edited:
OP
Nemowons

Nemowons

I've been muted for 30 days.
muted
Current Location
DC, USA
Good luck. Try to make it on your own at first and prove us wrong
Thank you for the kind wish of luck. I need all the luck I can get.

Unfortunately, it is not possible for anyone to make it on their own when it comes to trying to leave a consumer SYSTEM. The SYSTEM is designed to prevent people from leaving as individual. One can only leave as a group, as a community of people working together. It was designed this way to teach people to respect & value each others. As an analogy, suppose you have a prison wall that is too tall for a single person to scale it. But three people working together, standing on each other's shoulder is able to reach the top. When one person reach the top, she/he can then lower a rope to pull the other two up. So by working together they are able to leave, but as separate individual working alone they can't.

( Beni's greed for wealth triggers the trap. Take note that Beni is wearing a red fez. In order to escape and leave, they had to work together and help each others to overcome the various temptations/traps, that are designed to keep them from leaving. Now among the group there was a person who is just as greedy for gold as Beni. The difference is, he has a community of people to help him overcome the gold temptation/trap to escape. While Beni didn't have a community of people to help him overcome the trap designed to exploit his greed. So his greed slowed him down and he did not make it out in time. The girl has a weakness also; which is her greed for knowledge. And she too needed a community of people to help pull her away from the trap designed to exploit her insatiable appetite for knowledge, to keep her from leaving. )

( They had to work together to escape the room. They had to share their various knowledge and expertise, and work together to implement those knowledge to survive and break out of the trap. However, notice they did not explain anythings to each others. They simply call out the trigger ideas/topics, and the rest of the group work together to implement these trigger ideas/topics. One of the guy called out the idea "loose snorkel". And one of the girl called out the idea "shower heads". They didn't have time to go on endless discussion to explain & justify their ideas. They simply just do it.)

Collaboration will only happens when people respect each others, trust each others, value each others, be kind & loving toward each others. To prevent people from working together to leave, the consumer SYSTEM was designed to promote and condition conflict & competition between people. People fight/compete over resources, over jobs & promotions, over housing, over various different ideas (political, secular & religious, etc...). These fights & competitions lead to anger, hatred, resentment and mistrust. Kind of hard for people to work together to leave the SYSTEM if they have such feelings toward each others.

I reach out to the Squat The Planet community because the mission statement promotes a community of people helping each others. I am hoping in time I will find & connect with those who desire to leave the SYSTEM, but aren't able to do so by themselves. Together we will succeed.

Last edited:

SlankyLanky

stp user voted "the friendliest mod"
Staff member
Current Location
richmond virginia, the east coasts portland.

Unfortunately, it is not possible for anyone to make it on their own when it comes to trying to leave a consumer SYSTEM. The SYSTEM is designed to prevent people from leaving as individual. One can only leave as a group, as a community of people working together. It was designed this way to teach people to respect & value each others. As an analogy, suppose you have a prison wall that is too tall for a single person to scale it. But three people working together, standing on each other's shoulder is able to reach the top. When one person reach the top, she/he can then lower a rope to pull the other two up. So by working together they are able to leave, but as separate individual working alone they can't.

( Beni's greed for wealth triggers the trap. Take note that Beni is wearing a red fez. In order to escape and leave, they had to work together and help each others to overcome the various temptations/traps, that are designed to keep them from leaving. Now among the group there was a person who is just as greedy for gold as Beni. The difference is, he has a community of people to help him overcome the gold temptation/trap to escape. While Beni didn't have a community of people to help him overcome the trap designed to exploit his greed. So his greed slowed him down and he did not make it out in time. The girl has a weakness also; which is her greed for knowledge. And she too needed a community of people to help pull her away from the trap designed to exploit her insatiable appetite for knowledge, to keep her from leaving. )

( They had to work together to escape the room. They had to share their various knowledge and expertise, and work together to implement those knowledge to survive and break out of the trap. However, notice they did not explain anythings to each others. They simply call out the trigger ideas/topics, and the rest of the group work together to implement these trigger ideas/topics. One of the guy called out the idea "loose snorkel". And one of the girl called out the idea "shower heads". They didn't have time to go on endless discussion to explain & justify their ideas. They simply just do it.)

Collaboration will only happens when people respect each others, trust each others, value each others, be kind & loving toward each others. To prevent people from working together to leave, the consumer SYSTEM was designed to promote and condition conflict & competition between people. People fight/compete over resources, over jobs & promotions, over housing, over various different ideas (political, secular & religious, etc...). These fights & competitions lead to anger, hatred, resentment and mistrust. Kind of hard for people to work together to leave the SYSTEM if they have such feelings toward each others.

I reach out the Squat The Planet community because the mission statement promotes a community of people helping each others. I am hoping in time I will find & connect with those who desire to leave the SYSTEM, but aren't able to do so by themselves. Together we will succeed.
I really do wish you the best of luck man, but come on seriously, do you really think youtube links from the mummy and kingsmen would throttle people into blindly jumping on this idea?

I'm conflicted as to if this is a pretty good troll, or like I dunno just a dude not exactly living in the same reality as the rest of us.

If yer looking for people who aren't just interested in living outside of the system, but who actually do it (and in some cases pretty successfully if I do say so myself) then yea stp is a good place, but that doesn't seem to be what you want. You want blind followers who don't question you when yer wrong. And uh, yer wrong here man. You didn't think this through.

Kinda unrelated but for the 2nd time now fuck yer spiel sure does ever sound like cult recruiting 101.

roughdraft

~
Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
maryland
everyone has ideals, they don't propel you out of the system, it's practice and practical alternatives that get you out.

OP we want to see some practical shit explained, not poetic illustrations of the ideals, that's basically the equivalent of a college essay and you're citing The Mummy. It isn't hard to understand that people need to cooperate and the system is designed to mostly get us against each other. No-one needs proof of that, we wanna see proof of the practical means you have to make this shit yr into happen

Dameon

Wanderer
Current Location
Northern California
Very few communes out of those that try to get set up on land last very long. And that's with all the advantages of living on land, like abundance of drinkable water and actual soil to grow regular food in, plus the ability to have livestock. I shudder to think of something like this out on the water where you'd by necessity rely on things like regular rainfall (or a desalinator) for your survival, and if a major storm hit you'd be screwed.

The areas you're highlighting may not see many tropical storms, but tropical storms aren't the only bad storms you get. Even non-tropical storms can reach hurricane-level speeds, and then you're facing gigantic waves, as well as debris like shipping containers (which frequently go overboard).

Here's a compilation of what the ocean's like even during a non-tropical storm:
I want you to watch those, and imagine your little tiny Waterworld village being bashed around by 70mph winds on an ocean while 30 foot waves are breaking over it and smashing every piece into the other.

That's just the start of the technical limitations involved. You're going to need a lot more than can-do attitude and a team of go-getters to build a man-made permanent settlement out in the ocean. The ocean is large, and powerful, and doesn't give a shit how good an attitude you have.

That's why nobody's done it, not because nobody's smart enough to think of living out on the ocean in their own little man-made island utopia.

marmar

Current Location
New mexico

I reach out to the Squat The Planet community because the mission statement promotes a community of people helping each others. I am hoping in time I will find & connect with those who desire to leave the SYSTEM, but aren't able to do so by themselves. Together we will succeed.
I love the ideas in your head man, totally awesome, very honorable like saving all the world's homeless.
You gotta realize though, that with all the legit questions asked in this thread your answers sound like you a cult leader wannabe rather then anything else. I ain't joining no cult lol even tho utopian anarchist floating island in the middle of the ocean sounds real dreamy. In reality a floating village has to be close to the shore, where people would be able to commute easily. Otherwise you're just as realistic as wanting to build a commune on the moon

Hudson

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Current Location
Norcal
Ya'll are freaking crazy if you think this guy is for real or sober. This is some madman Dr Evil shit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$55.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $55.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $55.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $55.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Turns out, @Rhubarb Dwyer is even more handsome in person.
Watch out Australia! Tay is flying in on the 24th!
It only took three cities over three different time zones, but I finally got to meet up with @IVth. And, lemme tell ya, it was worth every mile. What a mensch!
dumpsternavel wrote on Erinn Oface's profile.
I wanna see more of your arrrrttttttt
I made it to dayton with time to spare, i went belen/kc(for supplies)/chicago(i got robbed)/indy/dayton. Besides getting robbed in chicago the trip has been great, quick trains good kickdowns and a nice 2 ride hitchhike to dayton.
io2286 wrote on coolusername123's profile.
Hobosexual- someone who has a relationship to get a place to stay
Happy friday the 13th!
Hmu or send something my way
Cheers!
It takes forever to do profiles via smartphone.. I'll fill this out on a laptop later.. me and my wife, Straps, recently moved from NC to central Ohio and are looking for like minded folks. Oldschool punk and metal etc is our tastes but not limited to. She does Vocals as well as I.. I also play bass. And am currently working on a demo. Think serial killer true crime punk.. not 'horror punk'.. true horror, yes.
*will update tonight
wheels are made for rollin/mules are made to pack/I never seen a sight that didnt look better lookin back

Staff online