Seasteading Out In The Open Ocean (1 Viewer)

Nemowons

I've been muted for 30 days.
muted
Current Location
DC, USA
I am reaching out to the Boat Punk/Sailing community to see if there are any who would be interested in joining this community seasteading project. I'm looking for both type: those who would want to become permanent resident there, and those who would like to lend a helping hand to see this project succeed and become friends of the community.

This floating community is meant for those souls that yearn for the open seas and freedom. It is meant for those who yearn to be free of the consumer culture and be a part of a creative, artistic, loving, recycle & constructive culture. It was conceived as a floating sanctuary for those wishing to be free of the competitive economic system that divide & pit people against each others. It was also conceived as a solution to the rising homeless trend. This floating community will serve as a hub to rescue homeless people and give people a chance to rebuild their lives as a community. Those rescued in turn will pay it forward by helping the community expands its support capability to rescue even more homeless people.

There are plenty of people that squat the land. But none have tried to squat the Ocean. So if this appeals to you, let's collaborate! I am inserting a few pics below to give you a rough idea of what the community can look like.

waterville-1024x599-jpg.52712_Seasteading Out In The Open Ocean_Boat Punk / Sailing_Squat the Planet_12:51 PM

floating-village-1024x576-jpg.52713_Seasteading Out In The Open Ocean_Boat Punk / Sailing_Squat the Planet_12:51 PM

floating-island1-1024x512-jpg.52714_Seasteading Out In The Open Ocean_Boat Punk / Sailing_Squat the Planet_12:51 PM

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!
OP
Nemowons

Nemowons

muted
Current Location
DC, USA
Where on earth?
There are certain places on the Ocean that are free of tropical storm systems and turbulence. They make good places for floating community. Hoping to find enough people in the sailing community to be the eyes and ears to scout out these places. The final location will be decided from the collected data & feedback. In addition, the location has to be outside of the Economic Exclusion Zone of all the nations. So when you overlay the two maps, they narrow down the choices available.

tropical_cyclone_map_lrg-gif.52715_Seasteading Out In The Open Ocean_Boat Punk / Sailing_Squat the Planet_1:48 PM

eez-jpg.52716_Seasteading Out In The Open Ocean_Boat Punk / Sailing_Squat the Planet_1:48 PM

SlankyLanky

stp user voted "the friendliest mod"
Staff member
Current Location
richmond virginia, the east coasts portland.
Yer going to have to provide a metric shit ton of more information if you want to be taken somewhat seriously. I'll elaborate to give you a jumping off point.

You want to be as free from consumer culture so I'm just guessing you would be aiming to build basically a big interlocking floating raft out of wood or plastic? As much as I applaud yer effort to combat homelessness im not convinced this is a practical solution. Do you have a background in anything that would be involved in building and maintaining a structure as large as yer talking about? I mean it's not like yer strapping a few old tires to some plywood and floating down a river, that can and has been done.

I realize that the pictures are just to give people a general idea, but to me they just further illustrate the fantastic nature of this idea. To sustain even a small project like this my guess is you would need people with a whole lot of experience growing food unless you plan to I dunno float from town to town to dumpster. You would either need people skilled in installing and maintaining solar panels if you wanted electricity for heat/cool/food storage all while ya know, essentially sailing. That's just 2 small things. I could go on but I would rather hear yer solutions to these things as I'm hoping you woulda thought about it more then me at this point.

OP
Nemowons

Nemowons

muted
Current Location
DC, USA
@ SlankyLanky

You are speaking from a consumer mentality perspective, while I am speaking from a creative/inventive/pioneer mentality perspective. All the things you brought up are child's play for people with technical knowledge like myself. People who create /invent things understand the technical side of how things work. Therefore they are able to re-create similar products to meet their needs using different materials, using whatever is available to them from the environment. There are many ways to extract energy to provide electricity beside solar panel. You can extract energy from the wave, from the wind, or even from the ocean water itself (hydrogen fuel cells tech) to name a few. Here is an example of hydrogen fuel cell in action:

Now to the issue of food production. Consumer who buy food do not understand how nature works. The forest sustain all kind of wild life. Yet these wild life don't need to fertilize the forest like farmers do for their fields. They don't need to water the forest like farmers do for their fields. They don't need experience growing food and the forest still provides for them. There is no reason why one cannot re-create an underwater forest system to sustain a community. As a matter of fact, the underwater forest system will attract sea life and increase the abundance of food available to the community.

Secondly, we are going to build all the necessary machinery that the pioneering community needs before we even set out. When you build something yourself, you know how it work, and you know how to repair it. And since you built it yourself, you have the molds for all the components to make replacement parts for repair. The members of the community will be trained to do all this. And they in turn will teach newer members. The same apply for infrastructures. If one build it, one will know how to maintain and repair it.

Lastly, I am not here trying to convince people to seastead. I am here reaching out to the community looking for people who are interested in seasteading, or those that want to lend a helping hand. Just as those who desire to own a boat naturally seek to educate themselves regarding navigation, boat handling and maintenance. Similar self-seeking of knowledge manifest in those who desire to seastead. Thus every seasteader has similar knowledge base of what is needed for seasteading. Just as every boat owner has similar knowledge base of what is require for boat ownership. So there is no need to drop a ton of info.

It is simply a matter of is a person interested in collaborating or not? If he or she is interested, then the coordination can begin.

SlankyLanky

Staff member
Current Location
@ SlankyLanky

You are speaking from a consumer mentality perspective, while I am speaking from a creative/inventive/pioneer mentality perspective. All the things you brought up are child's play for people with technical knowledge like myself. People who create /invent things understand the technical side of how things work. Therefore they are able to re-create similar products to meet their needs using different materials, using whatever is available to them from the environment. There are many ways to extract energy to provide electricity beside solar panel. You can extract energy from the wave, from the wind, or even from the ocean water itself (hydrogen fuel cells tech) to name a few. Here is an example of hydrogen fuel cell in action:

Now to the issue of food production. Consumer who buy food do not understand how nature works. The forest sustain all kind of wild life. Yet these wild life don't need to fertilize the forest like farmers do for their fields. They don't need to water the forest like farmers do for their fields. They don't need experience growing food and the forest still provides for them. There is no reason why one cannot re-create an underwater forest system to sustain a community. As a matter of fact, the underwater forest system will attract sea life and increase the abundance of food available to the community.

Secondly, we are going to build all the necessary machinery that the pioneering community needs before we even set out. When you build something yourself, you know how it work, and you know how to repair it. And since you built it yourself, you have the molds for all the components to make replacement parts for repair. The members of the community will be trained to do all this. And they in turn will teach newer members. The same apply for infrastructures. If one build it, one will know how to maintain and repair it.

Lastly, I am not here trying to convince people to seastead. I am here reaching out to the community looking for people who are interested in seasteading, or those that want to lend a helping hand. Just as those who desire to own a boat naturally seek to educate themselves regarding navigation, boat handling and maintenance. Similar self-seeking of knowledge manifest in those who desire to seastead. Thus every seasteader has similar knowledge base of what is needed for seasteading. Just as every boat owner has similar knowledge base of what is require for boat ownership. So there is no need to drop a ton of info.

It is simply a matter of is a person interested in collaborating or not? If he or she is interested, then the coordination can begin.
That all sounds really great, but you kinda skipped over answering my questions by basically saying "science. And there's no need for me to provide anymore info because I said so."

OP
Nemowons

Nemowons

muted
Current Location
DC, USA
If you haven't already, look up, Bajau people sea gypsies, they live like that.
Thank you WyldLyfe for the info about the Bajau people. Very cool.

I envisioned similar setting as this. Except our floating community will have the benefits of advance technology of a developed nation, and better infrastructure design.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Current Location
Darrington, WA
So you're looking for an area that lies within the doldrums which is around 5 degrees north or south of the equator. And international waters are usually around 200 miles offshore from what I understand, which is where you'll want to be to avoid any legalities from neighboring countries.
winds-of-the-world-jpg.52718_Seasteading Out In The Open Ocean_Boat Punk / Sailing_Squat the Planet_9:32 PM

I'd be weary of building a community off the west or east coast of Africa because of piracy, unless you want to be heavily armed and then of course since you are not buying ammunition, you'd need to collect used cartridges, have a reloading press, have the raw ingredients to make gunpowder, etc. I'd opt for somewhere in the waters east of Papua New Guinea. Seems like there would be better fishing and diving for foraging around all the scattered atolls in the ocean there.

I'm assuming you have extensive metalworking skills like welding, blacksmithing, etc.? Seems like wherever you set up your base, you'll still need to come ashore at some point to gather raw materials and supplies and to trade.

Engineer J Lupo

the most derailingest mod.
Staff member
Current Location
530 Rackerby, California
Website
youtu.be
Can you tell us about this underwater forest system you intend to create in great detail please? As far as I know the reason why the forest works that way is because it's been there forever and it's all balanced out. Everything there has a role and when things get out of hand nature straightens it out. There's also incredible depth to the forest that holds moisture from previous rains, probably a major factor in terms of it not needing watering. You're just gonna have what like a flat portion floating out there with a foot or two of organic compost and what the shit.. that's supposed to replicate all the crazy shit that goes on in the forest? I'm not trying to be negative here but it's really difficult to wrap my mind around this whole thing. You're basically trying to play god(not that I believe but for the sake of the idiom I'm using it).. you really think you got that kind of gumption?

OP
Nemowons

Nemowons

muted
Current Location
DC, USA
@ iamwhatiam

It is interesting that you mentioned atolls. Did you know that an atoll is part of a mountain?

"They will call the peoples to a mountain; there they will offer sacrifices of righteousness. For they will feast on the abundance of the seas and the hidden treasures of the sand.”
-- Deuteronomy 33:19

one of the definition for the word sacrifice is:
- an act of giving up something valued for the sake of something else regarded as more important or worthy.

A community of people who volunteer their valuable time & efforts to rescue homeless people would be considered a community that is offering sacrifices of righteousness would it not?

There is an old saying: "one man's trash is another man's treasure." What is considered trash by those with a consumer mind is considered a treasure to those with a creative mind. The abundant sand is trash to some in this world, but a treasure to creative people. It can be used to make many things, like glass or building structures for habitat. For example:

I'm just following clues hidden in plain sight.

Last edited:

SlankyLanky

Staff member
Current Location
So we got "science. Don't question it.", a bible quote, and links to atlantas as some kinda I dunno proof of concept I guess? You mentioned the difference between consumers mind and creative mind a few times but from what your said that means nothing in the context here, it just sounds like that's yer excuse for not having to actually explain how this is all possible. Dude are you trying to recruit for some kinda floating water cult? Cause my curiosity was peaked, but uh red flags are popping up now that are kinda pointing to you not knowing what yer doing and hoping nobody asks a question you hadn't thought of.

Unless I missed it I don't think @iamwhatiam mentioned atolls at all.

OP
Nemowons

Nemowons

muted
Current Location
DC, USA
@SlankyLanky

Good knowledge come from all manner of sources. As a matter of fact, scientists and archaeologists often gain new insight that benefits modern societies when they examine & study ancient texts, regardless of whether it is from secular or religious sources. If a piece of information is useful & beneficial, it does not matter whether it comes from a science text book, or a religious book, or a music video.

I'm well aware of this game of counter balance that you're playing. For everything I say, you either say the opposite or say something negative about it or negative about me. The purpose is to create choices, so that the audience have to make a choice. I get that. I see it being done across America all the time, especially on the news. Like the news regarding climate change for example. For every news piece that support the existence of climate change, there is a news piece that argued against it. As a matter of fact, this game of counter balance, of presenting opposing view points is even disclosed in this old documentary.

But here's the thing though. It is my humble opinion that it is unfair to not inform the audience of the rules to this game of counter balance that they are being subjected to. It's like being invited to a poker game without being inform of the rules to the game. The odds would be stack against such person. I think that is neither fair, nor just.

I am new to this forum, and I respect its rules of conduct; and fully intend to abide by it to the best of my understanding/interpretation of its rule. I have shown you due courtesy in taking the time and efforts to answer your 2 questions. You asked about electricity and about food production, which I have explained how this community will meet those needs (via underwater food forest and via usage of wave, wind, or water to generate electricity). If you choose to think that I haven't answered your questions, there is not much I can do about it. That is your personal opinion.

You claimed that you don't think @iamwhatiam mentioned atolls at all. I quote from his post #9

"Seems like there would be better fishing and diving for foraging around all the scattered atolls in the ocean there."

Last edited:

Shaggy Rogers

Current Location
Dawsonville,GA
In todays society theres no way to create something, even an island, for free, or away from other land. If there was a petition with hundreds of signatures, maybe you could ask a country to build somewhere in their waters. If you could prove that you would have an economy that would help said large country, then you have an instant trade route. Think about the salton sea to start something like this.

Cant have todays science and technology and expect to live like an ancient tribe isolated. Also theres always gonna be a natural disaster to look out for, nothing lasts forever. I think if you had the money like Elon Musk, nobody on here would say shit, but in todays world, nothings free.

SlankyLanky

Staff member
Current Location
@SlankyLanky

Good knowledge come from all manner of sources. As a matter of fact, scientists and archaeologists often gain new insight that benefits modern societies when they examine & study ancient texts, regardless of whether it is from secular or religious sources. If a piece of information is useful & beneficial, it does not matter whether it comes from a science text book, or a religious book, or a music video.

I'm well aware of this game of counter balance that you're playing. For everything I say, you either say the opposite or say something negative about it or negative about me. The purpose is to create choices, so that the audience have to make a choice. I get that. I see it being done across America all the time, especially on the news. Like the news regarding climate change for example. For every news piece that support the existence of climate change, there is a news piece that argued against it. As a matter of fact, this game of counter balance, of presenting opposing view points is even disclosed in this old documentary.

But here's the thing though. It is my humble opinion that it is unfair to not inform the audience of the rules to this game of counter balance that they are being subjected to. It's like being invited to a poker game without being inform of the rules to the game. The odds would be stack against such person. I think that is neither fair, nor just.

I am new to this forum, and I respect its rules of conduct; and fully intend to abide by it to the best of my understanding/interpretation of its rule. I have shown you due courtesy in taking the time and efforts to answer your 2 questions. You asked about electricity and about food production, which I have explained how this community will meet those needs (via underwater food forest and via usage of wave, wind, or water to generate electricity). If you choose to think that I haven't answered your questions, there is not much I can do about it. That is your personal opinion.

You claimed that you don't think @iamwhatiam mentioned atolls at all. I quote from his post #9

"Seems like there would be better fishing and diving for foraging around all the scattered atolls in the ocean there."
I think yer giving me too much credit in thinking it's my intention to count/counterpoint with you, I just wanted you to provide some actual information on this plan of yers and how you see it working out so maybe I could help yer thread get some people interested in hearing more. I asked you to explain a lot more then just power and food but specifically brought those 2 up as a base for you to elaborate further because apparently you got it all figured out but yer not giving me anything else to work with and tbh I'm just kinda not interested anymore. Best of luck though!

I'm not seeing it, but gonna chock that up to my consumer brain.

coltsfoot

Current Location
downeast maine
My question is how do you plan on dealing with mercury and microplastics in your food if that's where most of you're nutrient intake is coming from? I'm asking this as someone whose life is intertwined with the sea - and it's a big concern for us here.

And I'm also interested in hearing more about the underwater forest in general.

Juan Derlust

Resident itinerant paradoxymoron
StP Supporter
Current Location
in medias res
When open inquiry is regarded as negative, the message is clear:

Skeptics & intellectually honest individuals need not apply

Engineer J Lupo

the most derailingest mod.
Staff member
Current Location
530 Rackerby, California
Website
youtu.be
People, please... No more questions. We don't have the answers and it's getting difficult to dance around that fact. So just get on this cartoon illustration island, read some Bible verses, lace up yer Nikes, Kool Aids on the table.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $70.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $70.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $70.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Turns out, @Rhubarb Dwyer is even more handsome in person.
Watch out Australia! Tay is flying in on the 24th!
It only took three cities over three different time zones, but I finally got to meet up with @IVth. And, lemme tell ya, it was worth every mile. What a mensch!
dumpsternavel wrote on Erinn Oface's profile.
I wanna see more of your arrrrttttttt
I made it to dayton with time to spare, i went belen/kc(for supplies)/chicago(i got robbed)/indy/dayton. Besides getting robbed in chicago the trip has been great, quick trains good kickdowns and a nice 2 ride hitchhike to dayton.
io2286 wrote on coolusername123's profile.
Hobosexual- someone who has a relationship to get a place to stay
Happy friday the 13th!
Hmu or send something my way
Cheers!
It takes forever to do profiles via smartphone.. I'll fill this out on a laptop later.. me and my wife, Straps, recently moved from NC to central Ohio and are looking for like minded folks. Oldschool punk and metal etc is our tastes but not limited to. She does Vocals as well as I.. I also play bass. And am currently working on a demo. Think serial killer true crime punk.. not 'horror punk'.. true horror, yes.
*will update tonight
wheels are made for rollin/mules are made to pack/I never seen a sight that didnt look better lookin back

Members online