Seasonal Destinations (Vegan-Specific) | Squat the Planet

Seasonal Destinations (Vegan-Specific)

RavenOnTheNethervoid

Reaction score
It's around that time of year, when denizens of the four seasons might begin to contemplate their autumn / winter destinations.

While there may be discussion about the topic in general, i wonder if there has been much focus specifically on destinations for Vegans.

{It matters. Suggestions like carnist punk houses / local arts collectives / homebum squats might work for some, but they don't always work for vegans. There's been, in my experience, a lot of misunderstanding about this. Sometimes the best ways to illustrate the points and potential problems, to those who don't understand directly, might typically involve theoretically equating flesh-eating and such to things that are either personally (to the carnist) or essentially universally problematic -- that sometimes triggers some carnists who feel personally maligned by the theoretical communication rather than understanding the scenarios as touchstones and talking points, analogues to convey the message. So, i'd prefer this to not become a thread cluttered with challenges to the premise. If anyone feels they can't accept that a person who is vegan might not be able to stay in a carnist atmosphere, they're free to move on.}

Are there any 100% vegan punk houses / collectives / squats / parking lot communities / land trusts / castles / mansions / private islands / subterranean edenic villes / any other kind of destinations, within the geopolitical United States of America, that would welcome any newcomers for the time of the cold seasons?

(Personally, I'd be interested in global answers. Since i have to pick a subforum, this seems the most presently logistical global region for persons i know, so I'm focusing US-centric).

Thanks.

Last edited:

Colinleath

Reaction score
Website
colinleath.github.io
I've tended to find vegans congregate in tropical areas. On one of my trips I encountered a member of a dual-homebase vegan community in hawi, hi, the big island.

In the northern hemisphere summer they go to their property on the northern end of new Zealand. Or i may have that backwards. I think they go to whichever place is warmer for the time of year.

Both those places are small enough i think you could go to either one and find them.

No i don't think it was the hari Krishnas.

If you want more grunge and less hippie, get yourself to Europe.

At least 5 years ago veganism was prevalent among (German speaking) anarchists there. And there are many squats / anarchist occupied places. The non-german speakers seemed less likely to be explicitly vegan.

In the US vegans seem less of a force for whatever reason.

Most progressive live-off-the-land-focused communities I've found there (and everywhere for that matter) will tend to be raising their own animals for food (including dairy) rather than being vegan.

But that may be because those are the places I've sought out?

The biggest global vegan community i spent significant time at was deer park monastery.

Many Vietnamese seemed robust on the vegan diet (plus some fermented condiments). The European monks, i heard, sometimes got dispensations to add eggs to their diet and maybe dairy for health reasons.

As a vegan you can do well by finding those tropical communities i think. They seem to be populated by pretty well off people who have the freedom to put a lot of thought and intention into what they eat and where they live.

I briefly walked with george throop, vegan at the time (except for a bit of fish from time to time. . .). He liked to cook for Vipassana retreats (which are explicitly vegan and worldwide). To be able to volunteer at those places you've got to make it through at least one of the 10-day courses yourself. Not an easy feat. But free to attempt!

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Matt Derrick

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads