Scared | Squat the Planet

Scared

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWindAndRain

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Well you've got a lot of cool people on here that can offer advice for your situation. Maybe you can even find a couch. As you know it can be more dangerous for women on the street, but you will also have more resources to keep you off the street. I know they are not the most desirable, but have you looked into women's shelter in your area? That might be your best bet temporarily until you figure out a plan. You put this in the wilderness survival section, but I recommend you look for urban resources first unless you know where and how to survive on land alone. I have been homeless most of my adult life and it is not so bad, although that doesn't mean I have it as bad as you. If you have any specific questions I can try to help, or just now there are people here you can ask.

Last edited:

0degrees

Reaction score
Well you've got a lot of cool people on here that can offer advice for your situation. Maybe you can even find a couch. As you know it can be more dangerous for women on the street, but you will also have more resources to keep you off the street. I know they are not the most desirable, but have you looked into women's shelter in your area? That might be your best bet temporarily until you figure out a plan. You put this in the wilderness survival section, but I recommend you look for urban resources first unless you know where and how to survive on land alone. I have been homeless most of my adult life and it is not so bad, although that doesn't mean I have it as bad as you. If you have any specific questions I can try to help, or just now there are people here you can ask.
Thank you...I know the shelters here allow a six day stay till you're right back on the street...It's 114 degrees here right now...I'm scared I will dehydrate or starve...Also a a female I fear the actions of men....I have no idea where to sleep...

TheWindAndRain

Banned
Reaction score
Do you live n
Thank you...I know the shelters here allow a six day stay till you're right back on the street...It's 114 degrees here right now...I'm scared I will dehydrate or starve...Also a a female I fear the actions of men....I have no idea where to sleep...

Are you in Tucson? If you can, look up your nearest Home Depot store and Check on satellite images if they have the tuff sheds for sale on display in the parking lot. You can sleep in those at night somewhat safely although you should try to lock it up as i have heard horrible scream/crimes at night while staying in those one time, but every major city has that option. Your other option is to find a U-Haul dealer and stay in one of their trailers. These are just places to sleep until you can figure something out sorry I can't help more. I have a spare room atm but it is in a rural area two hours outside of Tucson.

Reactions: Coywolf

0degrees

Reaction score
Do you live n

Are you in Tucson? If you can, look up your nearest Home Depot store and Check on satellite images if they have the tuff sheds for sale on display in the parking lot. You can sleep in those at night somewhat safely although you should try to lock it up as i have heard horrible scream/crimes at night while staying in those one time, but every major city has that option. Your other option is to find a U-Haul dealer and stay in one of their trailers. These are just places to sleep until you can figure something out sorry I can't help more. I have a spare room atm but it is in a rural area two hours outside of Tucson.
I'm in Tucson....Don't know about the sheds...Thank you...I will go over and look...

TheWindAndRain

Banned
Reaction score
From checking maps it looks like the only Home Depot in your city without the storage sheds is the Home Depot on Alvernon St and Broadway, so do NOT go to that one. The Home Depot on Pantano street, the Home Depot on Irvington street, and the Home Depot on North Oracle road DO appear to have display sheds. If they are locked (very slim chance) just kick in the vent on the back of them and crawl in. Bring a weapon. I don't mean to worry you but I am serious that I heard blood curtling screams and thumps then silence come from one of those tuff sheds in New Mexico one night.

0degrees

Reaction score
From checking maps it looks like the only Home Depot in your city without the storage sheds is the Home Depot on Alvernon St and Broadway, so do NOT go to that one. The Home Depot on Pantano street, the Home Depot on Irvington street, and the Home Depot on North Oracle road DO appear to have display sheds. If they are locked (very slim chance) just kick in the vent on the back of them and crawl in. Bring a weapon. I don't mean to worry you but I am serious that I heard blood curtling screams and thumps then silence come from one of those tuff sheds in New Mexico one night.
Lol...already scared to death!...Thanks...What about sleeping in the desert?...Snakes...Javalina....coyotes....scorpions....A javilina took a stance against me last week...freaked me out but it backed down. ..I'm not sure if sleeping on the open is a great idea....Thank you for looking up Home Depots for me. ...very very kind!

TheWindAndRain

Banned
Reaction score
Lol...already scared to death!...Thanks...What about sleeping in the desert?...Snakes...Javalina....coyotes....scorpions....A javilina took a stance against me last week...freaked me out but it backed down. ..I'm not sure if sleeping on the open is a great idea....Thank you for looking up Home Depots for me. ...very very kind!

Sorry for mentioning that but I am just a straightforward person. If you can't get in the shelters I think you will be safer sleeping in those sheds or find an unlocked U-Haul trailer than in the open whenever in urban areas. This shit can be tough hang in there, most of us here have been through that and we are all still here to talk about it. It's not for everyone and some will disagree, but I felt much safer homeless when I got a gun. Arizona has no restrictions on that either. Critters won't harm you btw.

Another form of shelter is that all post offices are open and unlocked 24/7 so try to find one in a non populated area and you can sleep peacefully all night. They even have outlets for your phone and many have security cameras so you can feel safe. This is not a recommendation in big cities where people will be coming in all night.

Last edited:

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I don't know your full situation but just throwing some options out there assuming you're not bound to Tuscon/AZ. Maybe get somewhere with better weather? If I'm homeless, I don't got a whole lot tying me to any certain place. So, I'm gonna get homeless in a real nice climate at least. AZ is not the easiest place to hitchhike out of from my experiences, and I wouldn't recommend hopping freight if you're not experienced/or not with someone who is. Maybe if you got some duckets, get at least to a place that is easier to get out of? Rideshares can be cheap, sometimes even free if you're willing to help drive.

• Useful
Reactions: Drengor
A

AlwaysLost

Don't make friends too quickly.its only natural that you feel scared but not everyone who will try and "help" you will have good intentions.

Make sure you really know a person before you are alone with them. Dont just judge them, judge who they associate with. Everything you say to a persons gives them power over you and believe me 80% of homeless people you don't want to know, 20% you can stand, about 10% you can trust and about 5% you can be friends with. The good news is the people you can trust will usually become closer to you than family.

Most importantly, trust your feelings and your instincts. You are stronger than you think and there is a lot of good information and people on this site that can help you. I know they've kept me from going insane.

And don't feel bad about being scared. I'm scared every minute of every day that I bum around. Just move slow, think carefully and make the best decisions you can. You have to think of it as an adventure and find joy amidst the obstacles.

Try to have goals even if they are small everyday. Don't fall into the trap of just surviving. Its easy to do. I have many friends who just beg enough money to get that next drink and they are stuck in place.

It will take a minute to adjust but
Once you get settled and into whatever routine u can establish, Get a hobby, make some art, take classes online, YouTube vlog to make some extra cash anything to give u a purpose beyond just surviving.

I hope that helps a little sorry if it doesnt.

Last edited:

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
Tuscon is pretty big, and i'm not fond of larger cities..
Prescott, AZ is a smaller city/town that seems to have pretty good support options..
kitchens, campgrounds, showers & some decent folks..
a good library, too..

i know somebody pretty solid up there who wouldn't mind showing you the local ropes, though i think all you would have to do is stop into Sal's (salvation army) for lunch & you'd meet some cool folks..

0degrees

Reaction score
I don't know your full situation but just throwing some options out there assuming you're not bound to Tuscon/AZ. Maybe get somewhere with better weather? If I'm homeless, I don't got a whole lot tying me to any certain place. So, I'm gonna get homeless in a real nice climate at least. AZ is not the easiest place to hitchhike out of from my experiences, and I wouldn't recommend hopping freight if you're not experienced/or not with someone who is. Maybe if you got some duckets, get at least to a place that is easier to get out of? Rideshares can be cheap, sometimes even free if you're willing to help drive.
Thank you

0degrees

Reaction score
Tuscon is pretty big, and i'm not fond of larger cities..
Prescott, AZ is a smaller city/town that seems to have pretty good support options..
kitchens, campgrounds, showers & some decent folks..
a good library, too..

i know somebody pretty solid up there who wouldn't mind showing you the local ropes, though i think all you would have to do is stop into Sal's (salvation army) for lunch & you'd meet some cool folks..
My

0degrees

Reaction score
My phone is being shut off on Wednesday....They are also taking my car away this week...I feel so isolated already....I keep telling myself this is my new life and I just have to adjust. ..I think I might die out there so I suppose I have to just accept that as well....Nothing I can do...

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
who's taking your car?
is it in your name??

repossession requires due process, sis, so even if it's liened or not fully paid for, as long as the title itself has you as the owner, i think you should be able to pull her out & point her wherever.

if you have a few days, the first thing you need to do is make a backpack.
put the minimum gear you'll need in it (see threads in the forums, and if anyone knows a good one, can you link?)
make sure you have your ID & put it aside.

you posted here, about 5 weeks ago:
https://squattheplanet.com/threads/homless.31369/#post-229435

how far away is D-day, *actually*?
don't cower in the corner & wait for the shit to hit.
prepare.

even if it's throwing shit out you know you can't take & making sure you have what you need to GET THE HELL OUT OF THE CITY, doing something is better than paralysis.

you don't give much background, so no one can really speak to specifics..

if anyone on StP who's been a long term member offers help, accept it!
at the same time, fill them in enough to know that you're solid, too.

if you're fit enough to carry a 30 or so pound pack, this won't be too bad, if it's unavoidable.
are you disabled in any way that makes packing impossible?

head into northern new mexico, or new mexico in general AVOIDING THE CITIES.
new mexico has, in my opinion, the very best state park system in the nation.
it's fairly easy to find a place to camp, so long as you don't use one of the paid sites, and the showers are free.

do you have any skills other than care giving?
can you do day labor?
are you an older adult, or are you young enough to keep your eyes open & wits sharp that you can make friends with kids who are straight enough to have reasonably clean teeth?

has your life been housed up until now?
if you're actually going to be forced to leave your possessions and mementos behind, you need to GET AWAY from what you're familiar with.
if you have a digital camera, take some photos of what you love & at some point in the future back them up.
at least you'll have some tiny reminders of what you loved.

your life will continue.

do not hang out where you know.

adventure, because if you get hung up trying to carry too much around, you may devolve into shopping cart mode, and that's a flag waver for potential gutter predators.. as well as something you're going to hang on to that may keep you from whatever true changes are ahead.

if you want to stay housed, what is keeping you from finding another job care taking?

who is in control of your existence, now, that you're going to be tossed out?

were you a live in care taker?

if the details aren't relevant, focus on what is going to happen in the immediate future & get your pack ready.

DO NOT USE A SHOPPING CART!!
DO NOT USE A SUITCASE!!!
DO NOT USE A DUFFLE BAG!!

the shittiest backpack you can beg for or scrounge up beats either, by far, right now.
it's ok to have maybe two medium to larger day packs, if one decent backpack isn't available.
both are carryable and when a larger pack is gotten, can be ditched.

focus.
keep your ID safe.

you can either hit the streets, begging from strangers, or you can hit the road looking for opportunities.
the streets can be short of kindness, the road not so much so, but a bit rougher regarding shelter, if yer a newb.

the worst danger out there are humans, and the worst of them are the males.
on the road you have more space, for sure, & more stealth.
look at the couches & rides offered here.
don't be helpless, though, because nobody can afford to just take you in..
be ready to split after recharge..

it can be a scummy place to find a ride, but you might want to look at craigslist & see if anyone is doing a roadtrip.. a lot of those offers are men requiring sex for transport, and that will come out in the wash, so be prepared to be disappointed more than once.. a lot of women post for female co-drivers, so you might find something there..

if your future is coming, embrace in as much as you are able.
if you're honest & willing to carry your weight, you'll be ok..

you'll be fine..

0degrees

Reaction score
who's taking your car?
is it in your name??

repossession requires due process, sis, so even if it's liened or not fully paid for, as long as the title itself has you as the owner, i think you should be able to pull her out & point her wherever.

if you have a few days, the first thing you need to do is make a backpack.
put the minimum gear you'll need in it (see threads in the forums, and if anyone knows a good one, can you link?)
make sure you have your ID & put it aside.

you posted here, about 5 weeks ago:
https://squattheplanet.com/threads/homless.31369/#post-229435

how far away is D-day, *actually*?
don't cower in the corner & wait for the shit to hit.
prepare.

even if it's throwing shit out you know you can't take & making sure you have what you need to GET THE HELL OUT OF THE CITY, doing something is better than paralysis.

you don't give much background, so no one can really speak to specifics..

if anyone on StP who's been a long term member offers help, accept it!
at the same time, fill them in enough to know that you're solid, too.

if you're fit enough to carry a 30 or so pound pack, this won't be too bad, if it's unavoidable.
are you disabled in any way that makes packing impossible?

head into northern new mexico, or new mexico in general AVOIDING THE CITIES.
new mexico has, in my opinion, the very best state park system in the nation.
it's fairly easy to find a place to camp, so long as you don't use one of the paid sites, and the showers are free.

do you have any skills other than care giving?
can you do day labor?
are you an older adult, or are you young enough to keep your eyes open & wits sharp that you can make friends with kids who are straight enough to have reasonably clean teeth?

has your life been housed up until now?
if you're actually going to be forced to leave your possessions and mementos behind, you need to GET AWAY from what you're familiar with.
if you have a digital camera, take some photos of what you love & at some point in the future back them up.
at least you'll have some tiny reminders of what you loved.

your life will continue.

do not hang out where you know.

adventure, because if you get hung up trying to carry too much around, you may devolve into shopping cart mode, and that's a flag waver for potential gutter predators.. as well as something you're going to hang on to that may keep you from whatever true changes are ahead.

if you want to stay housed, what is keeping you from finding another job care taking?

who is in control of your existence, now, that you're going to be tossed out?

were you a live in care taker?

if the details aren't relevant, focus on what is going to happen in the immediate future & get your pack ready.

DO NOT USE A SHOPPING CART!!
DO NOT USE A SUITCASE!!!
DO NOT USE A DUFFLE BAG!!

the shittiest backpack you can beg for or scrounge up beats either, by far, right now.
it's ok to have maybe two medium to larger day packs, if one decent backpack isn't available.
both are carryable and when a larger pack is gotten, can be ditched.

focus.
keep your ID safe.

you can either hit the streets, begging from strangers, or you can hit the road looking for opportunities.
the streets can be short of kindness, the road not so much so, but a bit rougher regarding shelter, if yer a newb.

the worst danger out there are humans, and the worst of them are the males.
on the road you have more space, for sure, & more stealth.
look at the couches & rides offered here.
don't be helpless, though, because nobody can afford to just take you in..
be ready to split after recharge..

it can be a scummy place to find a ride, but you might want to look at craigslist & see if anyone is doing a roadtrip.. a lot of those offers are men requiring sex for transport, and that will come out in the wash, so be prepared to be disappointed more than once.. a lot of women post for female co-drivers, so you might find something there..

if your future is coming, embrace in as much as you are able.
if you're honest & willing to carry your weight, you'll be ok..

you'll be fine..
I am behind on car payments and am receiving agressive phone calls....They will take the car.....I am being evicted and court is next Thursday...My phone is being disconnected Wednesday so I won't be able to even get advice....I have been trying to pack but become paralyzed and overwhelmed by horrible dear and greif.....I am sad no-one will help me....I am scared.....as it is I have many men who are zealously inappropriate with me....I can't imagine the fear that will overcome me being in the open with no food or water or money and being at the mercy of Every one. ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads