Scamming a sail-boat | Squat the Planet

Scamming a sail-boat

Nemo

Reaction score
I'd like to know, is there anyone out there who has ever stolen a large shipping vessel of any kind such as a sail boat or a yacht?

Wouldn't want to steal from a yuppie fuck, probably a water-based marina with about a hundred boats or more.

Would one find safety in international waters?
GPS tracking devices installed? (because hey, who would want to secure a 120,000 boat?)
How to go about finding and disabling them..

Permits, regulations, paperwork needed in case I bump uglies with authorities? How would I convince one that this badass yacht i just stole is all minez?!

Production fiberglass vessels have a hull i.d. # on the transom... any other methods that anyone knows of id'ing a boat? Such as a plexi-glass embed of a microchip..

What's set in place to REALLY keep us pirates from snatching one?

ARGGGHHHH!
-nemo

Rambing Roots

Reaction score
sailboats in canada built before the 1980s dont have a hull id number, i dont know if its the same you are from.
i would be very careful who's boat you choose to steal as sea gypsies dont take kindly to thieving from there own kind and its a very tight community at least up in b.c.
we all know each others vessels and keep an eye out for each other, and its very easy to disapear under the waves with an anchour tied to your ankles!!
its much safer to liberate an abandoned vessel, may need some work but hey its free.
most harbours in b.c. are full of the. just ask the gypos that hang out at the government which ones have been abandoned.
good luck!

J

Johnny P

Ive been down here in Corpus Christi sitting on the shore by the marina just AMAZED at how many sail boats are just sitting there. Wouldn't be too hard, I imagine, just to take one.

"Haven't been to the old boat in years...guess I'll fix her up a bit"

Kind of like squatting in some places...act like its yours and it could be...

Rambing Roots

Reaction score
in a lot of ports in b.c. the coast guard turns a blind eye to derelict vessels going missing in the middle of the night, it saves the government money pay some to scrap it.
i know in one port they let a friend of mine know which ones are abandoned and he drags them onto a beach and stippes them to the bones, sells all the metal and anything else he can sell. the rest gets reclaimed by nature.
i have my eye on a 34ft ketch thats been sitting in some distant port that is just waiting for me when i get home from the philippines in the spring

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads