Santa Monica/Venice, CA | Squat the Planet

Santa Monica/Venice, CA

Rhubarb Dwyer

Fragrant Vagrant
Banned
Reaction score
Many of you are well aware of this place. This time of year is fucking gorgeous--the weather, the lack of clothing, the attitudes of most folks. Fucking circus, it is.

Below is a link to a fancy ass map I made of various resources in the area. It includes the following discoveries:

- Free food
** Attached is a PDF I made with times/places/details **
- Free showers
- Free laundry service
- Free medical care
- All public libraries
- Where I found the cheapest cheap beer -- not every store sells bum beer.
- Skate park
- Cheapest coffee
Santa Monica/Venice Bum Grid

- The city of SM has an open, public wifi network throughout. It's spotty in some areas, but it's been a sweet bonus. (City Wi-Fi) The south end of Venice Beach also has an open network for the public. (Oh Ranger!)

- Places to busk, spange, etc. are kind of duh.

- South half of the boardwalk is ideal for scoring leftovers. 3rd St Promenade a close 2nd. The food carts on Tue nights on Main St. Don't bother on the Pier.

- Most of the main commercial drags have parallel adjacent streets where you can find endless rows of dumpsters(behind Venice boardwalk, Main St, Abbot Kinney, Lincoln Blvd, etc). I found at least 2 that had either beer or wine, but I'm not telling! :)

- Although you'll see some gnarly homebums with stable camps, and lots of folks sleeping out on the beaches, it is not legal. You can totally get away with it for a while, though. The beach/boardwalk park in Venice closes at 12am, at which point everyone moves to the sidewalks. Then, they need to be packed up by 6am, when they move back to the boardwalk. I will link some other camping experiences below, as well.

I'd been here before, but this is my first time staying around and living it. I look forward to hearing everything else people want to add. I will update the map as new resources pop up.

Attachments

• SM-Venice Free Food.pdf
    42 KB · Views: 364
Reactions: Lenevethehobo

Rhubarb Dwyer

Fragrant Vagrant
Banned
Reaction score
Amended PDF(SM-Venice Free Food v02.pdf) to include the following:
- Church Group - Tue, 9:30p @ 3rd & Wilshire
- FNB - Thu, 9:30p @ 3rd & Wilshire

Attachments

• SM-Venice Free Food v02.pdf
    42.6 KB · Views: 389
Last edited:
Reaction score
definitely. im taking the greyhound to LA nest week. was gonna hitch and hop a train or 2 but im green and making a harsh break and i figured i better get out quick. i dont want to get discouraged and turn around before i get started.

hope we can hook up and head the slabs

Reactions: Rhubarb Dwyer

Vagabond82

Reaction score
4101-4399 W 7th St, Little Rock, AR 72205, USA
Sorry to be posting on a old topic, but I still remember a couple of years ago when I was staying in the Venice area for a little while, I would sleep on one of the grassy areas next to the beach during the day and rest at 3rd and Rose at night. Really peaceful street folk the last time I was there not sure how much has changed. Looking towards revisiting in March.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads