Santa Barbara, CA | Squat the Planet

Santa Barbara, CA

LilMa

Reaction score
I will be traveling to Santa Barbara CA in the first week of October. I am debating on whether to live here or not. Anyone have any pointers like where to stay away from or where is cool to go? I need LOTS of info because I will be moving straight from the east and going to the west.. thanks guys

bryanpaul

Reaction score
i agree with him^ ... i've homebummed it in SB several times and it's NICE....me, being from the east coast, it's EXACTLY how i pictured California to be....surfers and bikinis and spanish mission architecture ..... the college town isla vista is cool to visit if you like hobnobbin around with college kids... nice area in general if you ask me .....paradisimo.... on the other hand it also has a pretty "barbie and ken" plastic kinda feel to it...but ...whatever..... oh and to answer your questions....theres really no where to "stay away from" and it's a smallish city/town/thing so just check out everywhere ....you'll find neat spots.....

Reactions: MrD

bryanpaul

Reaction score
ALL OF IT
actually you might be asking the wrong crowd about that...... i guess it depends on what your trying to make happen there....if yer just gonna be campin out and living cheap.....or are you trying to secure an apartment/room/house whatnot.....

xbocax

Reaction score
yeah as long as you dont mind college kids everywhere SB is very pretty, great food, decent weather, shows all the time, you can catch some coast trains strollin by, and lotsa squat houses well houses that could be squatted

Reactions: MrD

bryanpaul

Reaction score
i dont know if they still do it but food not bombs used to feed at the downtown library on saturday afternoons(i think they might have done it on one other day of the week too) and the kids who do it were real nice..... they could probably turn you on to some cool shit once you get there

C

crustythadd23

just about anywhere in SB youll have a blast. always parties n gigs all over that damn town. you wont regret going there at all. have Fun!!!

MrD

Internet SuperHero
Reaction score
Website
www.sometimesmotion.com
i dont know if they still do it but food not bombs used to feed at the downtown library on saturday afternoons(i think they might have done it on one other day of the week too) and the kids who do it were real nice..... they could probably turn you on to some cool shit once you get there
The FNB ended a few years ago. Unless someone else started it up?

Supermonkey

Reaction score
Yo if you take me with you I'll hook it up. I know everything you need to get by in SB/GO/IV & I reeeeeally wanna get back to California, I'm in Baltimore but I could hitch to Tennessee real quick if I knew there was a ride :)

Food Not Bombs is still going on, in Isla vista on sundays, i think. There are places to camp, and cool people doing fun things all the time. Check out Isla Vista too, it's a one-square mile UCSB college town, packed with horny party d-bags (and also some fine upstanding hippies and artists) Don't know about the money situation--anywhere in CA (coastal) is expensive rent.

Shulseee

Reaction score
I'm a west coast guy myself, spend most of my time in L.A. and what-not. But SB is one of the best places to go if you're looking to stay for awhile. There are tons of places a traveler can spend time especially if you look college aged. The cops aren't too aggressive, and the locals usually just assume you're a college kid when they see you. Lots of freegans around too, so you can always find lots of people who are looking to help you out. As far as rent goes, it really does get pretty expensive, but I like to spend nights on the beach when I can. Just keep your eyes open for patrols. If you get busted, you can always just tell them you got locked out of your dorm and they usually just ask you to move along. Keep your eyes out for the skeevy college guys though, because they can get pretty aggressive if they think you're alone. Other than that you should be fine. There are always places looking to hire college kids for part time stuff, and if you go to the campus you should have no problem finding a posting board for roomates, which would really help if you plan on staying for a while.

OakTreeHopper

Reaction score
my god how things in sb have changed... the pigs are Nazis... the snotty rich fucks are calling cops if you fart too close..... the homebums are literally stabbing each other in the back..... but IV hasn't a bit changed 1 square mile of mommy and daddy's money thrown in the trash daily

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads