Sam the Striped Monkey's Around the World Trip!

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
Hi, all!

Not sure if this should go here, but I'm hoping to start a cool project. One that's been done before, mind you, but I'm hoping the vagabond and misfit traveling community will get behind this one!

Meet, Sam. I made him, last night. Yes, I know he's pathetic. I'm definitely no seamstress, but he's special to me, anyway.

Starting July 31, Im taking Sam to downtown New Port Richey, with a note pinned to him, with instructions on what to do when hes found and where to upload pictures.

Im hoping that, as he's picked up and taken places, he'll make it all over the U.S. and eventually, overseas.

Wish Sam, luck!!!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1437695327832.jpg
    FB_IMG_1437695327832.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 331

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
LOL - I'm still laughing over your sock monkey hahaaha

Years ago in a very busy bicycling forum I was on - when it was cool - we had a man who worked at a manufacturing place that made nerf balls and things - and he sent out some nerf balls to some of us and our job was to sign the ball - take a pic and then send it on to the next person who wanted to participate in the project (and the list was massive). I got a ball that went through 8 states and signed by more than 20 members (till it was lost somewhere in Oregon). But it was a fun time and project. People enjoyed it - enjoyed participating and anticipating their chance to see the traveling balls and all who had signed them - as well as viewing the pics where the balls went too. Fun things.

And actually the website boomed when we were doing that too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kal

Art101

Reaction score
That thing is awesome,kickass sock monkey.Thats a great idea.We did kinda the same thing at a ski area with the monkey from some cartoon show.We passed it around to the other lifties to take pics.It was a good time.

Attachments

• fishy 088.jpg
    fishy 088.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 293
  • Haha
Reactions: Kal, Odin and Tude

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Reaction score
That thing is awesome,kickass sock monkey.Thats a great idea.We did kinda the same thing at a ski area with the monkey from some cartoon show.We passed it around to the other lifties to take pics.It was a good time.

Thanks! Very cool pic!

I'm hoping Sam goes everywhere and has a great trip.

I never want him back (some people ask that eventually their traveler gets returned to them) and hope that on my death bed one day, I get on the Internet and see Sam...ragged and worn out...and still traveling.

:D

Reactions: Kal and Odin

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
lol - I was just about to apologize to OP for going off topic on sock monkey stuff hehe

BUT ... In fact I'm sending him a pic of your awesome sock monkey - hehe and telling him we (you as the maker and me as the baby maker - meaning sock purchaser ... hehe) are making him a companion. hehe

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
moved to the 'your projects' section :)

Reactions: Andrea Van Scoyoc

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
If I run across Sam... kinda looks like me after a night drinking Steel Reserve.

I'll take him to the desert with me for a spiritual journey. Then we can both wake up on the roof of a hotel in Vegas.

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Reaction score
If I run across Sam... kinda looks like me after a night drinking Steel Reserve.

I'll take him to the desert with me for a spiritual journey. Then we can both wake up on the roof of a hotel in Vegas.

As long as you take pics, @Odin !

;)

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Reaction score
Sam has started his adventure!!!

Wish him luck...and let's hope he fares better than HitchBot!

Attachments

• IMG_20150807_094204698_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150807_094204698_HDR.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 328
D

Deleted member 13433

Me too, as he seems like a real fun little guy :)
I have a whole collection of discarded stuffed animals that I have found over the years and I often wonder what places they have been to and how they came to be lost...........

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Reaction score
Me too, as he seems like a real fun little guy :)
I have a whole collection of discarded stuffed animals that I have found over the years and I often wonder what places they have been to and how they came to be lost...........
That's awesome...

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads