Salutations from Olympia- Preparing for Launch (1 Viewer)

Cosmic

Reaction score
Homebase
Olympia WA
I came to Washington for some temporary work, and decided to stay for the rainforests, islands, mountains, and rivers. That's the stuff I like most, so if I'm not out unicycling, I'm out exploring. Now I sleep on the couch of a relative in Olympia, and work part-time to pay off the car I arrived in. I take short wilderness trips when I have time, and cruise the internet for travel stories, bicycle touring tips, gear reviews, and survival guides.

I'm 21 now- I've done some jobs, I've done some college, and I've traveled, but I've never lived on the road. I'm stoked to do it, and I want to do it by bicycle first. Over the next month or two, I intend to put together a bike and trailer to head out on a slow ride down the coast toward So-Cal, then maybe east toward Texas, and possibly... Florida? It's open-ended. I want to put eyes on every beach, cave, abandoned factory, haunted canyon, ostrich farm, hot spring, Sasquatch hotspot, and all of the other intriguing crap around the western/lower US.

If you want to hang out around Olympia, or join up for the ride, hit me up! Most things are more fun with good company, yeah?

Short description of me: I try to be an ethical, creative, positive kind of guy. I like to study the radical and strange, I'm a vegetarian, I throw down on a street-unicycle, I like punk stuff, I know loads about Star Wars, I revere the natural world, I'm shy for a weirdo, I am not very proud, I think helping out other people is cool, I smoke lotsa pot but hardly drink, and I like to carboload.

So, to whoever reads this: Hi, and happy travels.

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

Cosmic

Reaction score
Homebase
Olympia WA
I hope you've gotten the chance to take some trips up to the Hoh Rainforest and La Push areas!
I've made it up to the Hoh twice so far, for two days and one night each trip. It was mystical- my new favorite forest in the world. I saw my first elk, and met a wildlife photographer who's spending 6 months out there following the elk herds.
I rode across america last summer, took a more northern route, and freaking loved it. the 101 is incredibly fun if you are wanting to ride coastal. plenty of stealth camping options. have a lot of fun, safe travels, maybe i will see you on the road sometime
I've read some of your posts; sounds like you had a blast. I won't be going even half the daily miles that you did, at least not until I've reeeaally broken in my body and bicycle.
Awesome - welcome to STP and hey have a helluva great trip!!!
Thanks a bunch!

Last edited:

Cosmic

Reaction score
Homebase
Olympia WA
UPDATE: I've got all my shit together! I found a sweet touring bike and loaded it up with versatile gear, quit my job, and have been riding every day for the last two weeks to make sure my systems are streamlined. I've been keeping within a 50mi radius of Olympia, cycling ~40mi per day, building up some endurance, and getting used to bike life. At the end of the month I'm cramming the bike (named her Desiderata) into my tiny car and driving to Nor-Cal where I have a safe place to stash the car and start riding south to LA and beyond. Couldn't be more stoked. I love it when a plan comes together!
desiderata side view.jpg

Vulture

Vagabond
Reaction score
Homebase
Richmond, United States
I came to Washington for some temporary work, and decided to stay for the rainforests, islands, mountains, and rivers. That's the stuff I like most, so if I'm not out unicycling, I'm out exploring. Now I sleep on the couch of a relative in Olympia, and work part-time to pay off the car I arrived in. I take short wilderness trips when I have time, and cruise the internet for travel stories, bicycle touring tips, gear reviews, and survival guides.

I'm 21 now- I've done some jobs, I've done some college, and I've traveled, but I've never lived on the road. I'm stoked to do it, and I want to do it by bicycle first. Over the next month or two, I intend to put together a bike and trailer to head out on a slow ride down the coast toward So-Cal, then maybe east toward Texas, and possibly... Florida? It's open-ended. I want to put eyes on every beach, cave, abandoned factory, haunted canyon, ostrich farm, hot spring, Sasquatch hotspot, and all of the other intriguing crap around the western/lower US.

If you want to hang out around Olympia, or join up for the ride, hit me up! Most things are more fun with good company, yeah?

Short description of me: I try to be an ethical, creative, positive kind of guy. I like to study the radical and strange, I'm a vegetarian, I throw down on a street-unicycle, I like punk stuff, I know loads about Star Wars, I revere the natural world, I'm shy for a weirdo, I am not very proud, I think helping out other people is cool, I smoke lotsa pot but hardly drink, and I like to carboload.

So, to whoever reads this: Hi, and happy travels.
I imagine it will be hard to find someone to bike that with you, but it's original. Happy trails

Matt Derrick

Permanent Wanderer
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Homebase
Austin, TX
Website
youtube.com
UPDATE: I've got all my shit together! I found a sweet touring bike and loaded it up with versatile gear, quit my job, and have been riding every day for the last two weeks to make sure my systems are streamlined. I've been keeping within a 50mi radius of Olympia, cycling ~40mi per day, building up some endurance, and getting used to bike life. At the end of the month I'm cramming the bike (named her Desiderata) into my tiny car and driving to Nor-Cal where I have a safe place to stash the car and start riding south to LA and beyond. Couldn't be more stoked. I love it when a plan comes together! View attachment 29619

that looks really great man, i'm pretty jealous, wish i could have made it out with you! i guess my only suggestion would be to maybe invest in some saddlebags/panniers just to balance out your load.

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully this will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.