Sail the warm waters of Texas! | Squat the Planet

Sail the warm waters of Texas!

C

cavemansailor

On my way back to Texas after spending a few days in Eugene and Portland. Heading back to sea in the next 2 weeks and can use up to 2 crew.

Looking for extremely adventurous young, single folks to live and work as crew on a small sailing yacht (Windrose 18 fractional sloop). Must be comfortable sharing a small space with no amenities other than solar powered lights, computer and TV (use sparingly). Most nights will be spent in a slip at the Port Aransas Municipal Marina, others at anchor in nearby bays and coves, maybe a few days at a time on the Gulf. No sailing experience required.

About skipper: Name is Nathan, I'm 28, an experimental archaeologist and survival instructor, author of "Subsistence: A Guide for the Modern Hunter Gatherer" and something of a hillbilly anarchist who takes living off the grid to another level. I rebuilt this boat last year and have spent hundreds of hours sailing in all weather conditions on the bays.

Additional info: Keep personal belongings to a minimum. If you choose to crew, chipping in $40 a month for slip fees is appreciated, but NOT required. Bait fishing work with cast nets available. SMALL pets welcome. Smoking is fine (420 and cigs) just not inside the cabin. Bring as much beer as you like, just keep in mind that in spite of what you see in the movies, its probably not a good idea to be standing on the bow trying to get the genoa down with a bottle of rum in one hand!

thapoet

Mr. Grizzly Bear bait
Reaction score
when will this adventure be available sailor? i have gulf experience on oilfield boats but no "sailing" experience. pretty damned good deckhand though. love to fish, willing to fish for extra money and any other needs. i am slowly minimalizing my exsistence and am looking for ways to teach my daughter to live as a minimalist as well. i would like to ask if it would be possible for me and her to live aboard, and have an exciting learning experience. this is just an inquiry, not a dedication. if this would interest you, please pm me so we could discuss it further. thanks...

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Are you sticking to mostly fresh water, or the Gulf? Do you have any particular destinations in mind?

C

cavemansailor

Are you sticking to mostly fresh water, or the Gulf? Do you have any particular destinations in mind?
I will not be sailing in freshwater. I sail the Corpus, Nueces and Redfish Bays, the ICW and near offshore. In the future I may sail to the Florida Keys via the ICW after hurricane season.

C

cavemansailor

Here's a couple of sailing pics from the past few months--some of them are large, so give em a few minutes to load:
0112131613.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_4955.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_20121107_194508.jpg

IMG_20130120_150809.jpg

IMG_20130201_122701.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads