sail the seven seas

freddyfreight

Reaction score
so here's the schtick, I'm headin to the west coast to learn how to sail and eventually get myself a fairly good sized ship. The goal is to get one big enough for a crew of anywhere up to a dozen to sustainably live and grow food on our way around the world. any pointers or contacts on the west coast to start off this little venture?

makan kotoran

Reaction score
Just go to marinas and talk to yachties, post up flyers saying what you want to do, a tiny bit of info about yourself. and little tear off email addys or phone numbers for peoplpe to contact you. sit on the jettys and try and work out the rigging just by staring at it. you'll most likely figure out a bit, and somebody will probs come up and ask you what your up to.. good convo starter with a capn' and shows your eager to learn. most grottie yachties sail around by themselves and pick up random crew at random places, so they're usually up for company and teaching some fresh meat.
also refer to the seasonal yacht movement post I put in the boat hitching thread.

as for getting your own boat. expect alot of repairs and modding for world sailing... MASSIVE food water stores, solar + wind generator. and much much more.
but it sounds like an amazing project.. I personally want to get a yacht and mod it with an Ice breaking hull and sail around the arctic... I'm probably to slack though.

AND CHECK OUT lillyloves thread on boat hitching.

cranberrydavid

Reaction score

xbocax

Reaction score
Let me know when your here Im in LA and would do whatever i can to help out

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads