Saffa travelling the States.

SaffaMartin

Reaction score
Howzit?! (South African slang for hello/wassup)

Intro....
I'm South African, currently living in China.
Travelling to the States for the first time in the Summer.

Have done some travelling around parts of the world so far. From shady backyard "bars" to hanging out with the rich and famous (long story). Hitching rides in Africa on a donkey cart to riding in limo's in China.
Have a couple of fun stories to share!

Basically joined this site in the hope of finding some rides a long my route or even a couch for a night. Planning on hitching rides most of the time from LA to NYC.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and looking forward to just meet some cool fun, care free people out there.

Cheers

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
welcome to the site! i bet you have some awesome stories to tell!

Reactions: SaffaMartin

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
Hitching from LA to NY eh? My advice is to spend as little time on I-10 and I-80 as possible.

The 10 will be hot as hell and getting through Texas is a nightmare.
The 80 is alright, but the landscape is kind of dull and boring.

There are all sorts of routes you could take that offer up plenty of amazing things to see. What kind of route are you interested in?

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i agree with @EphemeralStick, best strategy would be to shoot up north then go across.

SaffaMartin

Reaction score
Hitching from LA to NY eh? My advice is to spend as little time on I-10 and I-80 as possible.

The 10 will be hot as hell and getting through Texas is a nightmare.
The 80 is alright, but the landscape is kind of dull and boring.

There are all sorts of routes you could take that offer up plenty of amazing things to see. What kind of route are you interested in?

Thanks for the info.
The route from Grand Canyon to Texas was what I was considering, but it seems like a no-go.
How is the route from Houston to Helen GA?

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
Welp that still puts you in Texas, so that's definitely a negative. Houston itself is a pain in the ass to hitch out of though not impossible. If you head directly east you're either i10 or US90 both of which get easier to deal with the further from Texas you get. Then it's a matter of figuring out where ya wanna make a left and start heading north towards Atlanta.

Another option would be to public transit from Houston to Dallas and hitch the i20 directly to Atlanta. Then from there figure out how would be best to get to Helen from there. That'd be the route I'd take.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
yeah but texas is going to be hot as fuck during the summer, i know, i used to live there.

i'd go up the west coast to seattle, then cross to chicago and nyc.

D

Deleted member 20975

Welp that still puts you in Texas, so that's definitely a negative. Houston itself is a pain in the ass to hitch out of though not impossible. If you head directly east you're either i10 or US90 both of which get easier to deal with the further from Texas you get. Then it's a matter of figuring out where ya wanna make a left and start heading north towards Atlanta.

Another option would be to public transit from Houston to Dallas and hitch the i20 directly to Atlanta. Then from there figure out how would be best to get to Helen from there. That'd be the route I'd take.
What are rideshares like in shitty hitching parts if the states? Any knowledge of that?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads