Route from Florida to Colorado | Squat the Planet

Route from Florida to Colorado

Shinobi

Reaction score
So I'm planning a solo bike trip from Tallahassee to Colorado. I need advice on the best route to take. I'm looking at leaving in about a week or so. I have a 15 speed mountain bike and I'm looking at building a small trailer to pull behind me that will act as a micro shelter. Any info will be really helpful. Thanks.

• Sad
Reactions: Kal and lone wolf

lone wolf

Reaction score
I been kicking around the idea of biking from south florida to seattle. I'd probably stay near the mexican border and then go up the pacific coast.
I don't know how many have ever biked to or thru Colorado but i imagine you will have a rough trip if going anywhere near denver. The east side of the state shouldnt be too tough but omg if you biking the rockies.

Last edited:

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
ahh cool - didn't know you were taking a trailer. I just pm'd you back with advice on a bunch of things including panniers, etc. Also sent a couple links to some good bicycle websites (I'm Tude on them too) as well as some other information on bicycles in general as well as routes.

Reactions: lone wolf

Doc Road

Reaction score
You should do a practice run,with all gear and food/water weight. Do this around your home base and make it at least 100 miles. That's about two days of peddling and you will then probably drop a lot of gear probably the cart/trailer too. And Going two/three hundred miles on flat ground can be done by any one but cross states and into mountains is best done with minimal weight and a competitive bike. Personally iv done the bike cart both up hwy 1 and into Yosemite mountains::dead::. And it most defiantly,I would only do that again with an electro assist hub motor,but that's a two K investment,so I'm just sticking too two wheels on the ground for now. Right now I'm preparing a trip up north (tex. to co.) I'm down sizing my rig only a front rack. I do ride a mountain bike but it's a lightweight racing cannondale. Make your life eazy and gear down. And the single most parts effected by weight is in fact your wheels,because you have to spin them. So if you can't get your hands on a mid range bike then at least get some mid range wheels something with sealed bearings,from a proper bike shop. When on the road with that much gear you might start to drop a lot of it on the road,it can drive one nuts. Happy travels peddle hard. :cool:

Shinobi

Reaction score
Thanks doc. I'm already looking at cutting down to the bare bones and planning on making a short run to condition myself this week. After that evaluation I'm going to ditch whatever I didn't use or weighed too much.

Doc Road

Reaction score
image.jpg
Word,I love all the cool micro rv setups but once you actually load up some two hundred pounds (witch happens quick when you have a cart)and hit any kind of grade,you will be crawling speed,and for me that takes fun out of it. Unless you ain't going too far. The only practical way to make the micro rv work is motorized. Bionic makes a great peddle assist,hub drive system. When pulling or climbing you'll just be cursing and on the flats,empty,and a huge 50+ tooth chainring,you'll be flying. You gotta check out the vids on you tube. This is my rig last fall on the coastal one. And how I lived around the Bay Area when when I was looking for or being kicked out of squat.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads