Video Roll Up Your Sleeves: A Documentary About Do-It-Yourself Counterculture

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score
"Roll Up Your Sleeves is a manifesto for an alternative way of organising, working and thinking.
The debut film from director Dylan Haskins was shot over a two year period by Haskins and his friends. What begins with non-profit all ages gigs in his own home 'The Hideaway House' in Ireland leads Haskins to drive US folk punk band Ghost Mice on their European tour and to the realisation that this is all about much more than music.
This youthful, energetic documentary explores the global phenomenon of do-it-yourself culture, why it's becoming increasingly popular and the problems it has yet to overcome.
Roll Up Your Sleeves examines the relationship between DIY culture and the need for autonomous social spaces, looking at various projects across Europe and how these compare with the situation in Ireland.
At its heart this is a film about life and how a growing number of people are choosing to live it.
Interviewees include Ian MacKaye of legendary bands (Fugazi, Minor Threat, The Evens & Founder of Dischord Records), Ellen Lupton (author of DIY: Design it Yourself & Curator of Contemporary Design at the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum, New York), Ellie and Louise Macnamara of Irish band Heathers and members of long running Dutch experimental punk band The Ex."

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I quite liked this. I especially liked what Ian MacKaye said between 24:26 through 24:55, I needed to hear that shit, especially from someone I've always had a lot of respect for. Thanks for posting @MolotovMocktail

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads