rivervictor saying hello introductorily | Squat the Planet

rivervictor saying hello introductorily

rivervictor

truth pumpkin
Reaction score
Website
www.listeningtothenoiseuntilitmakessense.com
hi, I'm in the desert, in Las Vegas, Nevada. I like travel but am not the hardiest.

I make zines and help run the Las Vegas Radical Mental Health Collective. I enjoy singing in Sanskrit and Bengali, writing, making outsider art, riding trike. I have some blogs and like to cook veg food. probably my favorite food lately is rice noodles with vegan pesto. I like fat liberation and disability justice. I live in community and have a sweet spouse. I'm an anarchist and like permaculture and ecstatic dance.

I was on some forums long ago for radical mental health, and I like the format. I'm a queer cis lady, mid-40s. I don't drink or use drugs recreationally whatsoever. I don't watch movies or tv shows or hear radio or podcasts, honestly. I need a lot of quiet. I have sensory sensitivities and social differences--see "not the hardiest."

I would like to visit my homeland of California's central coast. New Mexico like ABQ, Carrizozo, and the Tularosa Basin. I'd like to see the Pacific Northwest again. I'd like to go to the Bay Area with my spouse so he can see his kids and mom. I'd like to visit Sacramento. I'd like to see Montana--I've never been there. Idaho again.

I'd like to see Florida. I have never been anywhere tropical. I'm fully intrigued to learn about the plantlife there. feels hella far, tho. I'd like to go to Mexico. yeah, mostly Baja, but anywhere.

probably I can offer cooking, zines. also, I would be happy to penpal with some anarchists or travelers or would-be travelers like me who are a bit stuck in place due to disabilities or whatever circumstances.

nice to meet you. peace.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
welcome! a lovely introduction. i hope you're able to realize your dream of travel to baja sooner than later!

TurboArmatron

Reaction score
Website
www.pdxhrc.org
hi, I'm in the desert, in Las Vegas, Nevada. I like travel but am not the hardiest.

I make zines and help run the Las Vegas Radical Mental Health Collective. I enjoy singing in Sanskrit and Bengali, writing, making outsider art, riding trike. I have some blogs and like to cook veg food. probably my favorite food lately is rice noodles with vegan pesto. I like fat liberation and disability justice. I live in community and have a sweet spouse. I'm an anarchist and like permaculture and ecstatic dance.

I was on some forums long ago for radical mental health, and I like the format. I'm a queer cis lady, mid-40s. I don't drink or use drugs recreationally whatsoever. I don't watch movies or tv shows or hear radio or podcasts, honestly. I need a lot of quiet. I have sensory sensitivities and social differences--see "not the hardiest."

I would like to visit my homeland of California's central coast. New Mexico like ABQ, Carrizozo, and the Tularosa Basin. I'd like to see the Pacific Northwest again. I'd like to go to the Bay Area with my spouse so he can see his kids and mom. I'd like to visit Sacramento. I'd like to see Montana--I've never been there. Idaho again.

I'd like to see Florida. I have never been anywhere tropical. I'm fully intrigued to learn about the plantlife there. feels hella far, tho. I'd like to go to Mexico. yeah, mostly Baja, but anywhere.

probably I can offer cooking, zines. also, I would be happy to penpal with some anarchists or travelers or would-be travelers like me who are a bit stuck in place due to disabilities or whatever circumstances.

nice to meet you. peace.
What is radical mental health? I think I'm normal nuts most of the time but 100% would qualify as radicaly nuts once in a while. I'm not making fun, like for real what is that about.

rivervictor

truth pumpkin
Reaction score
Website
What is radical mental health? I think I'm normal nuts most of the time but 100% would qualify as radicaly nuts once in a while. I'm not making fun, like for real what is that about.
hey radical mental health is about doing mental health more homegrown, community, inter-connection and having more choices. so choices besides a mainstream medical model. we do support style groups, art stuff, friends make the best medicine, and just alternatives. we want to make a soteria house, so an alternative to hospitalization for people who are in crisis. it's fun and a great way to meet brilliant crazy people such as myself. some groups do more activism and policy and protesting, but ours here is more mutual aid, community building, and fun conversation idea sharing. :)

rivervictor

truth pumpkin
Reaction score
Website
thanks for asking. this is the url for the Las Vegas Radical Mental Health Collective, if you'd care to poke around it. Las Vegas Radical Mental Health Collective – Radical mental health is for everyone. DIY, other-care, true love. Friends make the best medicine. - https://lvrmhc.org/ good wishes to you and your special crazy!

TurboArmatron

Reaction score
Website
www.pdxhrc.org
hey radical mental health is about doing mental health more homegrown, community, inter-connection and having more choices. so choices besides a mainstream medical model. we do support style groups, art stuff, friends make the best medicine, and just alternatives. we want to make a soteria house, so an alternative to hospitalization for people who are in crisis. it's fun and a great way to meet brilliant crazy people such as myself. some groups do more activism and policy and protesting, but ours here is more mutual aid, community building, and fun conversation idea sharing. :)
Looks interesting. Just curious but is there any available data tracking client success short or long term. Have these methods been studied in a scientific setting, double blind that sort of thing. I'm not questioning any approach or method. I have a degree in mental health/human service and I'm a qualified A&D councilor, my license has lapsed due to not praticing because of a disability that came up. So I'm asking purely out of academic interest. I've dealt with MH issues personally I won't get into details in a public form but I do take several meds that seen to be nessacary for QOL. There is a huge non profit here called Cascadia Behavioral Health. They have some houses around town that are kind similar but not as.... radical. They are available to folks who are "having a hard time" but not a danger to self/others. It's sort of like a shitty b&b. Shitty is to harsh it's just not fancy or gourmet or anything. Just a place with friendly staff and gets your needs met. Like I said this approach is interesting. The same people cycle in and out hospital and jail. The current system is broken. We have a for profit MH system, fuck whole health care system that will never improve because it's not profitable. So yeah fucking capitalism right. I'll spare you a political rant and leave it there

rivervictor

truth pumpkin
Reaction score
Website
Looks interesting. Just curious but is there any available data tracking client success short or long term. Have these methods been studied in a scientific setting, double blind that sort of thing. I'm not questioning any approach or method. I have a degree in mental health/human service and I'm a qualified A&D councilor, my license has lapsed due to not praticing because of a disability that came up. So I'm asking purely out of academic interest. I've dealt with MH issues personally I won't get into details in a public form but I do take several meds that seen to be nessacary for QOL. There is a huge non profit here called Cascadia Behavioral Health. They have some houses around town that are kind similar but not as.... radical. They are available to folks who are "having a hard time" but not a danger to self/others. It's sort of like a shitty b&b. Shitty is to harsh it's just not fancy or gourmet or anything. Just a place with friendly staff and gets your needs met. Like I said this approach is interesting. The same people cycle in and out hospital and jail. The current system is broken. We have a for profit MH system, fuck whole health care system that will never improve because it's not profitable. So yeah fucking capitalism right. I'll spare you a political rant and leave it there
o hey, I hear yr question about whether it's been studied as effective. well the soteria house model has been. I have a book about it. way better than psych hospitals. who gets better, from being in a psych hospital? going in doesn't heal anyone, right? maybe someone. but the stats on that are atrocious.

I have a fckton of anecdotal evidence, but no studies up my sleeve. almost all of my good friends are thru radical mental health. it saved my life, but no one studied me.

I like rants against capitalism--I have a zine Resisting Capitalism for Fun. I would be happy to send one to you.

thanks for your thoughts.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads