1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. If you're new to the world of underground travel, you should check out The Anarchist's Guide to Travel! This 243 page book is a how-2 manual of everything you need to know about exploring the world through hitchhiking, train hopping, bike touring, rubber tramping, sailing, and more! Included in this book are instructions on how to survive on the road (gear, food, money, etc) and answers all of the most common questions we get here on StP in one easy reference. Save yourself hours of searching the forums while still supporting the StP community! Click here for more information!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?
    Dismiss Notice

RIP Canfield's (Omaha)

Discussion in 'General Banter' started by Jerrell, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Jerrell

Jerrell Appreciated Participator

Achievements:
    Disabled Veteran
    Address:
    Harlan, IA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +35 / -1
    Anybody that's familiar with Omaha's hometown sporting goods / camping gear store will be sad to learn that they will be closing up shop after 71 years.

I'm making the drive in a couple days to try to snag a good "going out of business" deal and look around one last time. They weren't the cheapest, but they were local and that meant a lot to me versus buying from a box store.

2. Spider Tempura

Spider Tempura Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    Address:
    Fort Lauderdale, FL, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +123 / -2
    rumor is that we are witnessing the end of retail stores. between walmarx and online sites the smaller family businesses just cant compete when it comes to price. the sad thing is some of those places have anything one would need and often have very helpful staff and once theyre gone people are gonna miss that face to face interaction. the ability to hold and feel a piece of gear to be able to decide which one is most suitable for your needs, yea sad times indeed.

3. Dmac

Dmac Completely Addicted

Featured Threads:
    Achievements:
    this and that
    Address:
    Omaha, NE, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +778 / -10
    Their Liquidation sale starts Friday Dec 8, through the end of January. I have gotten a lot of stuff from them over the years, too bad they are closing.

4. OP
    OP
    Jerrell

Jerrell Appreciated Participator

Achievements:
    Disabled Veteran
    Address:
    Harlan, IA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +35 / -1
    I went up there this afternoon thinking any early birds would be done shopping.

Nope.

Line stretched a good 30+ people deep outside waiting to get in. I ask a lady that just came out and she said she waited an HOUR in the register line for a 20% discount! I love Canfield's, but not that much. I'm gonna bide my time and try to get lucky closer to the end.

Early bird gets the worm. Late worm's less likely to get eaten...and may just snag a deeper discount. lol