Riot Medicine (1 Viewer)

Dameon

Nomad
@Dameon submitted a new file to the library:

Riot Medicine - A public domain book to help street medics in the struggle for liberation, autonomy, and dignity.

Riot medicine is the practice of medicine in an adversarial environment. It exists outside of formal and State sanctioned medical services. Practitioners of riot medicine go by many names (riot medics, street medics, demonstration medics, action medical), but at the end of the day, their goals are the same. They take to the streets as part of the diverse system of mutual aid that allows individuals to engage in protest. The duties of a riot medic may include handing out water during...

Click here for more info!

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

Older Than Dirt

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Here is some advice via an old NYC anarchist comrade who is an RN:

For anyone going to protest

1.) TAMPONS WERE INVENTED IN WWI TO PACK BULLET WOUNDS. Do not be afraid to use them. If you are shot, or you see someone shot, pack the wound with a tampon and get help as soon as possible. (Tampons without inserts are easier to carry around in high numbers)
Superglue was also invented in WWI to seal wounds up.
If the blood from a bullet wound is spurting it's arterial. It needs direct pressure and a tourniquet. Belts don't work well as tourniquets. Shoe laces and a pencil work good. (Unsharpened pencils work well) Go at least two inches above the wound.
EDIT: DO NOT PUT A TOURNIQUET ON A JOINT. ( elbows, shoulders, knees, and hips.) ALWAYS PLACE ABOVE THE WOUND
When doing CPR, place hands together in line with nipple line. Each compression should be 2 inches in depth. Go at a rate of 100 bpm, sing "Stayin' alive" to keep rhythm. Breath for the victim every 30 compressions.
EDIT: IF YOU ARE UNCOMFORTABLE DOING MOUTH TO MOUTH JUST KEEP DOING COMPRESSIONS UNTIL YOU CAN GET HELP.
Look for an AED. Follow instructions in the box.

2.) Carry a spray bottle with 1:1 milk of magnesia and water, to spray into your eyes and mouth or into the eyes and mouth of anyone you see maced or tear-gassed. Some are not using this any more and say milk is better, i'm sure MOM is not good for the eyes.

3.) If you are brave, carry a bucket full of water and baking soda, 1:1, with a lid, and wear protective gloves, and pick up tear gas canisters that have been shot into crowds and drop them into the bucket to neutralize them. This will stop the gas from harming people around you

4.) Don't pick up flash bangs. They will blow your hand off.

5.) If you see someone being arrested, grab them as firmly as you can and run. De-arresting your comrades is important.

6.) DON'T RIOT! Don’t start any unnecessary violence! The message we want to send is seen in the protest not the violence!

Stay safe.

Last edited:

Older Than Dirt

Banned
All she's advising against is "unnecessary violence"- trust me, this woman is not one bit opposed to necessary and effective violence, and is pretty good at it (seen her at it). She is a large person who is a psychiatric nurse, and has a martial arts background, and a long history of anarchist activism. She routinely immobilizes large crazy violent men at work.

Also, fuck the Red Sox.

EVIL EMPIRE, BRONX NY, RULES. But what does baseball have to do with anything?

D

Deleted member 24782

I closed my account
Pssst. Like I'm gonna let some greasy NYC pizza eating Jeter loving jerk bag tell me how to react to the Red Sox. If I don't get to flip a beamer what's even the point of baseball?

I was in that riot in Boston when Red Sox won in 2003, is this what your referencing? That was epic, I got a polaroid of a burning SUV that had NYC plates.

They won in 04'. We had riots after the play offs 01-03. In 03 the Amherst police got every cruiser flipped but the one they left at the station. A few individuals took that spirit to Boston in 04 and flipped all the BMWs parked on Mass Ave.

D

Deleted member 24782

I closed my account
They won in 04'. We had riots after the play offs 01-03. In 03 the Amherst police got every cruiser flipped but the one they left at the station. A few individuals took that spirit to Boston in 04 and flipped all the BMWs parked on Mass Ave.

Hmm, maybe it was 04 then, yeah it was 04 around Halloween if I recall.

Matt Derrick

Permanent Wanderer
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
The world was so much simpler before everyone had snitch phones.

I went back to a flip phone a couple years ago. I'll admit, I get lost a lot but I love it!

i'm not exactly sure what this is referring to, but if you're implying flip phones don't reveal your location, you'd definitely be wrong about that.

Can't speak for Brodie but for me it's the video and streaming that freaks me out. I know flip phones can still take pics and stuff but I just worry that all these people streaming everything 24/7 are gonna put a lot of people in jail.

Older Than Dirt

Banned
all these people streaming everything 24/7 are gonna put a lot of people in jail.

True, but lately a lot of the folks going to jail are cops, so there is a dialectic here- we can't get away with quite as many shenanigans, but neither can they. And we don't have to wear no stinkin' badges (cover those tats during direct action kids), and are harder to catch in these circumstances.

For years, the panopticon surveillance cameras were our enemy, but with every motherfucker now holding a video camera, there is some table-turning to be done...

I hope that's the way the pendulum swings. In my experience for every cop that get repremanded there's about 1000 protesters arrested.

Dameon

Nomad
Can't speak for Brodie but for me it's the video and streaming that freaks me out. I know flip phones can still take pics and stuff but I just worry that all these people streaming everything 24/7 are gonna put a lot of people in jail.
Unfortunately, we live in an age where cameras are literally everywhere. Regardless of who is streaming, you're on cameras, and there's a good chance you're being run through facial recognition systems. There's a high probability anybody near these protests is winding up on lists. The only real question is whether you want police to have all the cameras, so they control the narrative, or whether we should record as much as possible as often as possible so we have the power to show the true narrative and hold them accountable.

Ya I'm aware that there's no going back in regards to technology short of massive social disruption. "Holding them accountable" so far doesn't have a great track record. Hopefully these protests change that.

Older Than Dirt

Banned
I have never seen political demonstrations be so effective before in my life, and i was around when dirt was invented.

Public attitudes about cops among average Americans, according to polls, have changed more in the last month than in my lifetime.

I first saw cops beating down kids at demos on TV as a child in the late '60s, and have been participating in street action much longer than most folks here have been alive. It never much worked before, beyond local issues. We just did it anyway.

The recent Black Lives Matter/anti-cop protests have done an incredible job. So keep the pressure on in the streets. And vote. Lather, rinse, repeat. No one said this would be easy, but i've never seen success like this before.

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$55.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $55.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully this will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $55.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $55.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.