Train Grease/Dirt sold at Hot Topic Myth

West

Squatter Fodder
Reaction score
I've heard from I don't know how many travelers that they sell or once sold tins of "train grease" and "Spray on dirt" at Hot Topic, usually followed by an angry rant against trustafarians, yuppies, oogles and wannabe crusties.

However, I just looked up "train grease hot topic", "train oil hot topic", "spray on dirt" and a number of other things in the google machine and not a thing came up.

I'm betting that this is just some bullshit that gets passed on by word of mouth - anyone have any info?

~StP Mythbuster, West

West

Squatter Fodder
Reaction score
No, I've heard this each time by travelers that I'm friends with - One time by some dirty kids who I spent the night with who were getting worked up about it, once from a drunk oogle in Austin, and again from some indignant busking old timerish tramps in Eug - all extremely reliable sources as you can tell.

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score
I've heard people mention this before. It's a funny idea and it wouldn't be too surprising if it was true but there's no evidence that it ever happened.

Reactions: West

CaptainCassius

Reaction score
It's a joke, its a funny one at that, poking fun at how trendy some things can be. Nothing to get that mad over, its probably non existent. Yet It's still pretty funny to think that some douche-y elitist kids could have possibly bought some $80 Carhartt duck denim overalls a $5 can of train grease and a $10 can of spray on dirt and done themselves up all purty and dirty and immediately became super experienced well traveled cool guys that DEFINITELY know more about trains than you, have walked farther than you, drink more than you, can play way more obscure old timey songs and are generally just more awesome than you. Hipsters I say! dumb punks probably can't drink a tall can of 3.2% utah water without gettin' silly.

sketchytravis

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I remember hearing that years ago from people saying they saw it in the store... Didn't hear the train grease thing though... i think it was probably a halloween thing for the dirt spray...

And I have seen pre patched up hats and pants in random malls, a couple in pa, one in Ohio and a couple in ny

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads