Repacking canned food? (1 Viewer)

pallaway

Current Location
Memphis
I've been thinking of repacking my canned food for a couple different reasons.
1. Weight reduction and extra comfort.
2. Minimizing space usage and opening up
more space to pack more.
3. Able to bring more food. Having to stop
less to resupply. Able to stay out longer.
saving money and diving less. You can
stock up more when you can instead of
Waiting for the right time to restock.
4. Eliminating extra work and make eating a
more simple task.

I like carrying canned food. It's substantial and you can eat a bunch on a single can. Also used as a base. Yadda, yadda, yadda.
I've always thought about removing the can from the equation. Sealing would be perfect ideally, but who just carries a sealer. Maybe cooking and packing decent bags. Portion larger canned good would also be useful. Like beans, I usually open the can, leave the too attached and fold it back over to protect it from dust and eat it over extended periods of time. I wanna do more brainstorming and try ways, but sometimes i don't have the time to do experiments, because I always find little side missions and adventures and still have my primary. Wanting to chill out a bit and do some camping and try some squatting, but that's a different deal...

Anyone have any good ideas, methods, thoughts, or words to add on this? Didn't think about making a post, but it pops up in my mind enough to where I thought I'd look more into it.

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!

Tadaa

Current Location
Tallinn, Estonia
The thing with cans is that they stay good for euhm.. years? The moment you open them they get in contact with air and then you got to use it within days or your food goes bad.

Depends a bit what you want to do.. if you re going for a hiking trip for over a week.. just buy/make dehydrated food . It weighs almost nothing and their is special high in calories hiking packs. You can also create these yourself fairly easy but it takes some time and preperation.. (still need to explore this more)

Tetra packs are ligther then cans and take less space when empty.

Last edited:
OP
pallaway

pallaway

Current Location
Memphis
My food will be ate in time. I'm mostly on the road full time. I do know people throughout and make new friends easy, so I'm able to stay at houses. Last night was the first night I didn't sleep on a train in probably over a week. I just notice how much lighter my pack is when I finish off my cans. The weight of the bag is doable. I just sweat extra hard and get all my layers soaked. I walk fast and carry a bunch of shit. I may just be Thinkin too hard, like always.

Desperado Deluxe

Wanderer
Current Location
51-59 W Nevada Pl, Denver, CO 80209, USA
honestly not a fan of canned food. the weight of the can really isn't that much and will save you a mess and keep longer than storing it in say a ziplock bag.(the water in the can is what kills ya) its also really not that nutrient dense, basically just carbs and protein.

when I pack canned food I try to think about when I'm going to eat it. its convenient to heat up in about 15 min vs. boiling some rice and lentils (about 45 min) so I usually eat my can first to save on weight.

go with dried foods and fruits n veggies that don't go smush. not a fan of those dehydrated meals. they're expensive and taste like shit. oh and a good way to seal food is to put it in a ziplock and submerge the food in the bag underwater. the water will push all the air out of the bag and you can seal it. saw it on one of those five minute craft videos. might make food keep longer but better for freezer storage.

Last edited:
OP
pallaway

pallaway

Current Location
Memphis
Yea I'll try carrying nuts and stuff. Thinking of more oatmeal and rice like I used too. Just had got burned out and stopped. Makes sense that it's water adding weight. Gives me pretty good muscles lol. I just like to always have a few days food in my bag in case I get stranded or things don't go my way. Always have ramen though. It's backup. I feel like I'm gonna find what I want to accomplish, do it one time, then revert back to just carrying shit how I always do anyways

D

Deleted member 20975

I deleted myself
Has anyone thought of dehydrating your own food? Like in those hiking bags. Can you do it yourself with minimal equipement and are there any nutrients left?

Sorry if im changing your subject op but thought it might be an option for ya and maybe people looming here would have an answer too. Cheers.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Road Dogs & Meet Up 0
FeelAllRight518 The Hobo Kitchen 18
nix Introductions 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Headed to seattle soon lets hope the trains aren't too cold.
I caught a fucking cold at 2AM this morning, still sleepless...

I'm the Chairman of the Board.
MFB wrote on slaapkaamers's profile.
I hosted Lilith/@slaapkaamers for 3 nights in Nov 19.
She was an exemplary guest. Good w both conversing and alone time. Trustworthy, didnt steal anything and I felt very comfortable leaving her alone at my place. She didnt stink and not a junky.
Lilith is a legit traveller, she's a sweet, artistic chick w lots of good and interesting ideas to chat about. A pleasure to host. If she's in your neck of the woods you should help her out. 😉
I have a pretty good new squat in sfe but im leaving soon if anyone wants the keys lmk.
The peavine is gorgeous, I highly recommend that route.
Fucking winter snuck up this year
Damn It! I've been thinking and debating about applying for a position as an Amtrash locomotive engineer! They have openings for Salt Lake City, UT and St. Cloud, MN. I know I got to go through training but I'll be on call 24/7? There goes my sex life and night time weekend parties! Screw that, I'll play with my train set-No Pun=No Joke!
Made back up into Cincy for the weekend. Gonna chill with some homies before we head west for the winter..

Members online