Renegade Transportation Tour - UPDATE 12/03/2007

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Hey everyone, I just wanted to let you all know about this tour I'm putting together for a new movie called "Train On The Brain":

"Alison Murray is a young Canadian who decided to ride the rails across America living as a hobo. By the time her journey was over, she had crossed the continent twice.

This is the story of her travels through huge, wide-open spaces and little Norman Rockwell towns, and her vivid encounters with "the elite of society's basement". It captures both the sense of carefree drift and the abysmal discomfort involved.

Riding a boxcar is "like being in a sauna that was in a blender" -- to say nothing of the filth, the exhaustion and hunger, and the constant anxiety about being thrown off the trains and beaten up by the police."

YouTube - Train On The Brain (dir. Alison Murray) Trailer

In addition to Train On The Brain, I'm looking for other ideas from the StP community for movies or other things that I can present to people in the vein of 'alternative transportation' (i.e. bike tours, veggie oil cars, train hopping, etc).

also, if you'd like to join the tour (our veggie oil bus has plenty of room), need a ride somewhere along the way, or want us to stop in your town, reply to this post or send me a PM here.

This tour will likely be taking me through the following cities between December 15th to January 27th:

Philadelphia, PA
Baltimore, MD - Dec 17th, Red Emma's (http://redemmas.org)
Richmond, VA
Asheville, NC
New Orleans, LA
Austin, TX
Denver, CO
Park City, UT (Jan 17th - 27th Sundance Film Festival)

Click here to see a rough map of the route we're taking!

There are movies I've confirmed to be playing on the tour:

Train on the Brain (http://thehellhound.com)
Veg My Ride (http://submedia.tv/vegmyride.htm)
Trailer for "Road to Colossus" (http://www.roadtocolossus.com/colossusblog.html)

of course, we're looking for as many other towns as possible to stop through on this route as well. let me know if you'd like us to stop through your town!

D

dirtysmellykid

Renegade Transportation Tour Needs Your Help!

come to Minneapolis Minnesota. I so wanna see this film!

if you don't come here, and I can't see it in any other state where else could I get it form??

Spyder

iamcrkt

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ethernet.org

Columbia, MO!!!!!!

It's not too far out of the way from Austin and it's about 10 hours from Columbia to Denver. I could also point you to the right people in Lawrence to book it.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

awesome, yeah, im in philly right now... can you send me your number? (in a pm)

dates for asheville and baltimore will be forthcoming soon (although i might need some help with ashville)

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

i can't make it to the west coast unfortunately. the closest ill be able to make it is the sundance film festival in park city, utah...

L

Lokisson

When do you think you're gonna be in Richmond? I've got a couple of friends there who would probably be interested in seeing the movie.

Withoutatrace

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score

“Riding a boxcar is "like being in a sauna that was in a blender" -- to say nothing of the filth, the exhaustion and hunger, and the constant anxiety about being thrown off the trains and beaten up by the police."
I’d say she was being a bit dramatic there. And all that dancing in the condoler was a bit “look at me look at me”
She looked like she needed a few months off the donuts too.
Can’t you find some proper tramps – this lot look like rich kids playing poor.

Not impressed.

Withoutatrace

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

well, i didn't say it was a requirement of the site for you to watch it. it's good for what it is, and i've never said it was the quintessential train hopping movie. i just think you shouldn't poo-hoo it till you've seen the whole thing. on the opposite side of the coin though, there are some parts in the trailer where she's talking to the camera and it seems kinda cheezy. but the whole point is that she isn't a grizzled long time train rider. can't you remember a time when you were that in awe of train hopping?

Bendixontherails

Reaction score

Amen, Matt.

Everybody was new to it once. not a damn person here, including me, was born in a boxcar and raised around a sterno can.

M

Mouse

Renegade Transportation Tour - UPDATE 12/02/2007

I think what the girl said was a pretty adequate description of how you feel after a long ass train ride. rocks the shit outta you and wears ya down. as for the cops.. i've been threatened with beatings from CSX cops so I can see where she's coming from.

it's not all fun and games. but the fact taht she IS dancing shows she's not hating it, obviously. and calling her fat? what the fuck? that's just infantile.

and for fucks sake stop taking yourself so damned seriously.

Hey Matt Pist, I sent you a PM about a show in Western Pennsylvania on December 27th. I was e-mailed by a friend who was contacted by Scott Beiben. Get in touch, duder!

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
it's a long story, but im not doing the tour anymore. sorry everyone...

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads