Re-pickling from the left over pickle juice

Threads
Current Location
BC
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
We're rubber tramping and one staple on the road is a jar of pickles, just a jar of standard gherkin pickles (those, and spicy Extreme Beans) - and we kept the juice, and spent an evening peeling garlic and pickling the cloves. Nutritious and easy snacking...

Anyone's else pickled anything we should try? Relatively cheap and road friendly! Wasting nothing!

Threads
Current Location
Tucson
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Carrots, peppers, (sweet ones are my fav) cauliflower, onions , green beans, thats all i can think of that i eat

Threads
Current Location
Wondering while wandering westward
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Habaneros and jalapenos
Sauerkraut (cabbage)
Do chua (vietnamese carrot and daikon pickles)
Okra
Watermelon rind (not as bad as it might sound)

Jackthereaper

Pilgrim
StP Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Earth
Reactions
88% 1% 10%
I love pickled then fried chicken.

Threads
Current Location
Michigan, United States
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Asparagus! It grows wild all over the US in the spring. Also any porous veggie/root like kalorahbi will pickle overnight.

Threads
Current Location
Chicago
Reactions
84% 3% 13%
I don't think pickling works that way. Involves heat?

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Staff member
Threads
Current Location
Rochester, NY
Reactions
99% 0% 0%
My Mom used to reuse from grocery store - the jars of pickled beets (which I love) and then she would put in hard boiled eggs and then we would treasure pink/purple "pickled" hard boiled eggs.

I've had pickled cauliflower and other veggies but I thought they were done through the actual pickling process. Will look into though of using the leftover and most awesome pickle juice from some of my favorite dill pickles though. Never really thought about it. Waste of some good stuff. Thanks for making me think!!!!

Jackthereaper

Pilgrim
StP Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Earth
Reactions
88% 1% 10%
Are we not talking lacto fermenting?

Tadaa

Wanderer
Threads
Current Location
Tallinn, Estonia
Reactions
95% 0% 5%
best hangover cure.. just drink the left over pickle juice!!

Threads
Current Location
Dallas
Reactions
97% 0% 3%
I don't think pickling works that way. Involves heat?
Pickling is not heat-dependent. Canning is.

ObTopic: carrots, onions, hard boiled eggs, cauliflower, brocolli, etc.

OP
OP
Raggamuffin
Threads
Current Location
BC
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Nice nice nice! Yep, gonna try eggs next, and love the idea of purple coloured ones a too ;)

And watermelon rind - interesting, so definitely have to try that one!

Fuck yeah, top recommendations! Will try and do all of them... apart from fried chicken...

Jackthereaper

Pilgrim
StP Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Earth
Reactions
88% 1% 10%
Nice nice nice! Yep, gonna try eggs next, and love the idea of purple coloured ones a too ;)

And watermelon rind - interesting, so definitely have to try that one!

Fuck yeah, top recommendations! Will try and do all of them... apart from fried chicken...
Lol,
Not a fan of chick fil a i take it?