Ran Prieur's "How to Drop Out"

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I think your looking for the other "how to drop out" wich is not by Ran Prieur. are you thinking of the 14 year old who wrote a zine about dropping out?

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Reaction score
I think that this has some really good ideas in it but I don't think it's the same one that alot of people associate with this title. And even this one needs to be looked at for what it is. Even the author admits that he didn't just fall into the lifestyle that he's describing, it came slowly to him which would be far different than what lots of kids do going out on the streets without any skills or knowledge.

mkirby

Reaction score
Website
meredithkirby.com
"I could demonstrate to you that every single bank robbery, in every single case practically, the cost of the police was more than the money the robbers took from the bank. So theres no reason for it, they're just doing it because, they're macho, or they're on a power trip or– NO! Of course there's a reason, the function is system sustaining. Because if they didn't stop that bank robbery, regardless of the cost, the overall system would collapse. Some people think the function of the police is to fight crime, but that's not true. The function of the police is social control, and protection of property"

Michael Parenti's the shit.

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Reaction score
"I could demonstrate to you that every single bank robbery, in every single case practically, the cost of the police was more than the money the robbers took from the bank. So theres no reason for it, they're just doing it because, they're macho, or they're on a power trip or– NO! Of course there's a reason, the function is system sustaining. Because if they didn't stop that bank robbery, regardless of the cost, the overall system would collapse. Some people think the function of the police is to fight crime, but that's not true. The function of the police is social control, and protection of property"
Michael Parenti's the shit.

They will go to extreme lengths to protect the worthless pieces of paper that they worship.

mkirby

Reaction score
Website
meredithkirby.com
I don't know...I'm well acquainted with the drummer of No Ca$h, and Stza produced his albums. I've heard some "Scott smoked SO MUCH CRACK" stories. I don't think it's impossible that maybe he bought way too much and forgot a rock or two maybe...

eatmonksus

Reaction score
you don't stop smoking till it's all gone... especially freebasing it. that's why it's ironic.

btw, that's choking victim, not LoC... but it's the same band basically...

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
I don't know...I'm well acquainted with the drummer of No Ca$h, and Stza produced his albums. I've heard some "Scott smoked SO MUCH CRACK" stories. I don't think it's impossible that maybe he bought way too much and forgot a rock or two maybe...

Then shouldn't it be "Misplaced Crack?"

Anyway, I read the Dropping Out essay, and it's pretty much the same concept of "living simply," isn't it? As in not being in the rat race. I've always thought the term was very dated to the sixties and seventies.

sweet potatoe

Reaction score
i remember waking up one morning near a radio that was just playing tons of different political things, form poetry to like speeches, and micheal parenti went on for like an hour and a fuckin half about some stuff with oswald. it was amazing but im wondering if any one else has ever heard this?

stove

Reaction score
Hmm I never saw this till hassymacker posted his comment above, but now having read (ok, in the middle of reading), I'm in pretty strong agreement. Granted, I don't agree with everything, but a lot of what the dude says rings true in my mind/life/soul. Ok, I don't have a soul, technicality.

But yeah, even if you only read the synopsis at the top, it's a good read. A lot of valid points.

hassysmacker

Reaction score
yeah he's fantastic. and thats the thing about blogs in general, you don't have to agree with everything, but pick and choose what matters to you. and even if you completely disagree with something, at least it'll get those brain juices flowin'!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads