Raising donation threshold (just for a bit) (1 Viewer)

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Hey folks, some of you might have noticed that I raised the donation threshold from our usual 50 dollars a month to 100.

This is a temporary move as I am trying to encourage more donations this month in order to cover the costs of setting up a CDN for StP. Setting up this CDN (content distributed network) will allow us to serve people in countries all around the world, making StP more useful to people outside the United States. A CDN stores files and images on computers closer to where you are and distributed all around the world so the site will load faster for everyone (including mobile users).

If you saw my last post, I made this same announcement but at that time we were using the free account on keycdn. We blew through the limited amount of data they give free users quicker than I expected!

So, it's time to pay up if we want to make StP more broadly available to the world. By my estimations it will only take 50 dollars to cover us for the year, so hopefully that wont be too difficult to raise.

Just to be clear, this isn't an emergency, so if you're broke don't worry about it! Otherwise, if you have a few bucks to spare, we could sure use your help in raising this 50 bucks which will help us bring on more international users :)

Thanks!

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!

Anagor

Wayfarer
Current Location
Bonn, Germany
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
A CDN stores files and images on computers closer to where you are and distributed all around the world so the site will load faster for everyone (including mobile users).
Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with it and raising a bit money for it. :)

But do you really think it will have such a huge impact?

I mean, .css and .js files are just text files and the layout images are quite small. And all of that will be cached anyway, so only loaded once from the server.

When I have problems with the performace of StP (in England or Germany), it is mostly cause of the heavy use of Javascripts on my slow machine here, not the loading time.

Perhaps it's different in other parts of the world, though.

Just my two cents ...

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with it and raising a bit money for it. :)

But do you really think it will have such a huge impact?

I mean, .css and .js files are just text files and the layout images are quite small. And all of that will be cached anyway, so only loaded once from the server.

When I have problems with the performace of StP (in England or Germany), it is mostly cause of the heavy use of Javascripts on my slow machine here, not the loading time.

Perhaps it's different in other parts of the world, though.

Just my two cents ...
without going into too much detail, yes, it makes a huge difference! that's why so many websites use CDNs. i've tested with and without from several different countries and the website loads several seconds faster than it would without. it's likely that you'd see a big difference even on an older computer :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $45.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $45.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $45.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $45.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Finally out n about, heading to London, OH
Thanks to otch0z and Sam for kicking back and keeping is sane in the homestead, hope you had a wicked time!
If for some dumb reason you're in bemidji Minnesota, come see me perform at the hard times! Playing folky stuff with an old road dog
nastynaty wrote on Honey Crust's profile.
Please finish your hitch hiking story... Or just tell us youre alive!!
i've been a waterworld nomad so i don't have to walk.
Jax Katz wrote on Cornelius Vango's profile.
Greetings from a Florida forest dweller !
youtube channel

There's a Cadillac parked outside of my squat.... I should've changed the locks earlier..
Little Rock.....again.....

Staff online

Members online