Question about Visa (1 Viewer)

sharontzk

Lurker
Hometown
Biscarrosse, France
hey guys

i want to go to the USA one day but they're pissing me off with the VISA

I'm french, so i know i can stay 3 months and then i have to come back in France but i want to stay more than 3 months i want to stay as long as i want !

So do you know european people who stays in the USA more than 3 months?

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

N0MAD

Lurker
Hometown
Betws-y-Coed
It's a pain in the arse, I've tried to get a working visa before. It's doable especially if you apply along side a job application.
For me it took to long and had way to much Bureaucratic red tape, so ended up to late for the job.

ATB N0MAD

OP
sharontzk

sharontzk

Lurker
Hometown
Biscarrosse, France
It's a pain in the arse, I've tried to get a working visa before. It's doable especially if you apply along side a job application.
For me it took to long and had way to much Bureaucratic red tape, so ended up to late for the job.

ATB N0MAD
i think that i will get a touristic VISA and then just stay like a clandestine person. i mean, i will become a clandestine person ahahaha but i wont do that as long as trump is here.
I want to do that but i want to know if there are people who have done this and who haven't been caught

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Hometown
Austin, TX
Website
youtube.com
correct me if i'm wrong, but couldn't you come to the states then cross over to canada at the end of your 3 months then just come back to the usa for another three months?

N0MAD

Lurker
Hometown
Betws-y-Coed
correct me if i'm wrong, but couldn't you come to the states then cross over to canada at the end of your 3 months then just come back to the usa for another three months?
As far as I'm aware theoretically yes but I believe there's a no return within X amount of time to stop people doing that. Whether or not it is correct I'm not sure I'm just going off what it was told a few years ago.

N0MAD

Lurker
Hometown
Betws-y-Coed
i think that i will get a touristic VISA and then just stay like a clandestine person. i mean, i will become a clandestine person ahahaha but i wont do that as long as trump is here.
I want to do that but i want to know if there are people who have done this and who haven't been caught

I'd be wary of going down this road. I've had problems leaving countries before after my visa had expired by about 4 days.

ATB N0mad

Juan Derlust

Resident itinerant paradoxymoron
Hometown
> 6' away
By my own reckoning, the more authorization agencies and legitimization certification processes you engage, the worse off you'll be - IF you intend to 'go rogue'; if you're engaged in a 'legitimate enterprise', obscenely profitable, then, by all means, STAY YHE COURSE - cost of business & all that crap... Worst case scenario: you marry some Yank schlub in order to stay in The Land Of The Free. My ass... Granted, I'm a little light on details regarding the bureaucratic hoops you gotta go thru that route. Every time I've been approached by someone looking to marry a green card, I was attached to some woman who ABSOLUTELY forbade it. God, I'm an idiot...

Last edited by a moderator:

Acxulo

Lurker
Hometown
Montreal
A border run to Canada or Mexico would be the best option, although I imagine there are some restrictions in place to limit the number of times one can re-enter the US. A person entering the Schengen zone with a passport from Canada or the US has an automatic entry visa valid for a 3 months stay period, with a maximum of twice annually (1X90 day period per 180 days). I would imagine the same would apply to EU citizens travelling to Turtle Island aka North America due to reciprocal diplomatic agreements.

If LePen had won the French elections, perhaps you could have attempted to apply for political asylum/ refugee status as an exile from the Vichy regime part 2. It is technically possible to make a claim in both the US and then Canada if one crosses into Canada irregularly (aka "illegally") in order to bypass the Safe Third Country Agreement , but I imagine no one will feel sympathetic to French citizens escaping Macron's neoliberal government (On a side note, 10% of French expats living in Quebec voted for LePen...)

marmar

Hometown
New mexico
Yeah you can totally do it, stay as long as you want but then when you are ready to say bye to the states and move on, you gonna say it forever.
That's what my plan was when I was headed for the USA , but I ended up falling in love and then didn't wanna leave. Then abtained greencard via marriage

marmar

Hometown
New mexico
J1 visa sounds only good on paper ( the dot gov website) in reality you are glued to the institution that helped you to get that visa, and if you run away from it, to travel or "explore the country" as they describe it, they don't mean on your own, keep that in mind, so if you ditch the org they report you and cancel your j1. I 've had friends that had that visa, all ran away and all were made illegal. Some of them stayed for years after and abtained legal status one way or the other. Some left the states and never coming back, cuz they aren't allowed.
Hope this helps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$100.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $100.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

i almost snagged the sickest steel toe cat boots just now and freddy LP got me going thru the door ugh. i leaped a hedge and got away.
I swear this guy is my role model right now. If anyone's gonna ride this out with style, it's him.

This guy with a website called "Rustic Cyberpunk", does computer stuff while living in a cabin in the woods.

You'll need a Tor browser to view his blog, though. I won't link it here because it's not a regular link, and I'm not sure if that's okay on here.
MFB
Bored and organizing travel videos.
Alaska <3
I miss being young and indestructible!
Social distancing? Try traveling - whether it is a tramp van, a train or even a bike.
Favorite thing to do during an apocalypse??
First track of one of a solid album.
This shit is getting real, under self isolation - no, it's self quarantine now - thanks to some jerk who came to the Plant knowingly sick.
He has judged himself, as for me... my locker has been emptied because I am not putting up with that bullshit.
Looks like I just decided to take an early retirement, so on to greener pastures I go......
Be safe out there, perhaps we'll meet again when times are better.
I hope that y'all are good and safe wherever you may happen to be. Take care of yourselves, may the wind always be at your back <3
When Democrat and Republican politicians argue and fuck up so badly we end up taking 1st place in Plague Inc irl:

So, here's something great! After finally saying NO to eating carbs and sugar this morning (since that's mostly all there is to eat at home) and instead bought and ate vegetables, I actually don't have cravings anymore!

All I've eaten today is two sweet potatoes and some broccoli, and I don't have any food cravings, and I'm not lethargic!