1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. If you're new to the world of underground travel, you should check out The Anarchist's Guide to Travel! This 243 page book is a how-2 manual of everything you need to know about exploring the world through hitchhiking, train hopping, bike touring, rubber tramping, sailing, and more! Included in this book are instructions on how to survive on the road (gear, food, money, etc) and answers all of the most common questions we get here on StP in one easy reference. Save yourself hours of searching the forums while still supporting the StP community! Click here for more information!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?
    Dismiss Notice

Question about Visa

Discussion in 'United States' started by sharontzk, May 18, 2017.

1. sharontzk

sharontzk Just signed up

Achievements:
    preparing to leave my house
    Address:
    Biscarrosse, Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +7 / -0
    hey guys

i want to go to the USA one day but they're pissing me off with the VISA

I'm french, so i know i can stay 3 months and then i have to come back in France but i want to stay more than 3 months i want to stay as long as i want !

So do you know european people who stays in the USA more than 3 months?

2. N0MAD

N0MAD Appreciated Participator

Achievements:
    Freelance Mountaineering & Activity Instructor
    Address:
    Betws-y-Coed, Wales, United Kingdom
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +41 / -3
    It's a pain in the arse, I've tried to get a working visa before. It's doable especially if you apply along side a job application.
    For me it took to long and had way to much Bureaucratic red tape, so ended up to late for the job.

ATB N0MAD

3. OP
    OP
    sharontzk

sharontzk Just signed up

Achievements:
    preparing to leave my house
    Address:
    Biscarrosse, Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +7 / -0
    i think that i will get a touristic VISA and then just stay like a clandestine person. i mean, i will become a clandestine person ahahaha but i wont do that as long as trump is here.
    I want to do that but i want to know if there are people who have done this and who haven't been caught

4. Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick StP Founder, Admin, and travel addict
    Staff Member Admin

Featured Threads:
    Achievements:
    Professional Adventurer
    Address:
    Slab City, CA, United States
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +8,071 / -54
    correct me if i'm wrong, but couldn't you come to the states then cross over to canada at the end of your 3 months then just come back to the usa for another three months?

5. N0MAD

Achievements:
    Address:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +41 / -3
    As far as I'm aware theoretically yes but I believe there's a no return within X amount of time to stop people doing that. Whether or not it is correct I'm not sure I'm just going off what it was told a few years ago.

6. N0MAD

Achievements:
    Address:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +41 / -3

I'd be wary of going down this road. I've had problems leaving countries before after my visa had expired by about 4 days.

ATB N0mad

7. palmazon

palmazon Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    tribal JUNIOR (at heart, anyway)
    Address:
    La Habra, CA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +138 / -3
    By my own reckoning, the more authorization agencies and legitimization certification processes you engage, the worse off you'll be - IF you intend to 'go rogue'; if you're engaged in a 'legitimate enterprise', obscenely profitable, then, by all means, STAY YHE COURSE - cost of business & all that crap... Worst case scenario: you marry some Yank schlub in order to stay in The Land Of The Free. My ass... Granted, I'm a little light on details regarding the bureaucratic hoops you gotta go thru that route. Every time I've been approached by someone looking to marry a green card, I was attached to some woman who ABSOLUTELY forbade it. God, I'm an idiot...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    #7 palmazon, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
  8. Acxulo

Acxulo is getting to know the place

Achievements:
    bénéficiaire du bien-être social
    Address:
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +17 / -1
    A border run to Canada or Mexico would be the best option, although I imagine there are some restrictions in place to limit the number of times one can re-enter the US. A person entering the Schengen zone with a passport from Canada or the US has an automatic entry visa valid for a 3 months stay period, with a maximum of twice annually (1X90 day period per 180 days). I would imagine the same would apply to EU citizens travelling to Turtle Island aka North America due to reciprocal diplomatic agreements.

If LePen had won the French elections, perhaps you could have attempted to apply for political asylum/ refugee status as an exile from the Vichy regime part 2. It is technically possible to make a claim in both the US and then Canada if one crosses into Canada irregularly (aka "illegally") in order to bypass the Safe Third Country Agreement , but I imagine no one will feel sympathetic to French citizens escaping Macron's neoliberal government (On a side note, 10% of French expats living in Quebec voted for LePen...)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. marmar

marmar Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    Bum
    Address:
    Denver, CO, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +93 / -2
    Yeah you can totally do it, stay as long as you want but then when you are ready to say bye to the states and move on, you gonna say it forever.
    That's what my plan was when I was headed for the USA , but I ended up falling in love and then didn't wanna leave. Then abtained greencard via marriage

• Like Like x 1
  10. Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick StP Founder, Admin, and travel addict
    Staff Member Admin

Featured Threads:
    Achievements:
    Professional Adventurer
    Address:
    Slab City, CA, United States
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +8,071 / -54
  11. marmar

marmar Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    Bum
    Address:
    Denver, CO, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +93 / -2
    J1 visa sounds only good on paper ( the dot gov website) in reality you are glued to the institution that helped you to get that visa, and if you run away from it, to travel or "explore the country" as they describe it, they don't mean on your own, keep that in mind, so if you ditch the org they report you and cancel your j1. I 've had friends that had that visa, all ran away and all were made illegal. Some of them stayed for years after and abtained legal status one way or the other. Some left the states and never coming back, cuz they aren't allowed.
    Hope this helps