Question about backpacking stoves | Squat the Planet

Question about backpacking stoves

West

Squatter Fodder
Reaction score
I just p̶u̶r̶c̶h̶a̶s̶e̶d̶ obtained a snow peak "GigaPower Stove (automatic lighting)"

I was reading through the instruction booklet and it says that you should only use Snow Peak's "Giga Power" brand fuel instead of just any of the lightweight fuel tanks that you can get at REI or Academy or even WALMART now... Is this just a way of getting you to buy their fuel, or will it, as the instruction manual says basically "gum up the works" if I try using different fuel for it. Isn't it all the same stuff?

Thanks

MFB

Reaction score
Ditto, whatever will work, however the cheapies are cheap for a reason as thier output isnt consistent toward the bottem 1/4 of the canister.

If your hiking/travelling at altitude or during winters its a good idea to stick with the GigaPower or MSR canisters. They have a higher internal pressure than other canisters which allows for better cold weather performance. I dont understand the science, but I've used the MSRs above 13000 ft and theyve worked fine.
Ive used cheapies at sea level on a cold morning and had trouble with them. The MSR also have a little gage so you have an idea of how much cook time you have.

• Useful
Reactions: Mankini and West

West

Squatter Fodder
Reaction score
Thanks MFB. I went ahead and got a cheapie (only kind they had at walmart), and it worked okay but it was 100 degrees in the evening an I didn't even get close to the bottom. Will probably get MSR when I can.

Eli Stoneberg

Reaction score
Personally I would go with a cheap, used jetboil zip oven. Boils water in seconds, and perfectly heats up canned food, ramen and coffee. It also heats up enough to kill off any bacteria in the water you use, which can come in handy if you're running low on fresh H2O in the great outdoors. Replacement cans of 100g jet fuel is only 15 dollars online, it weighs next to nothing in your pack, and it can also replace a cup to eat out of.

Reactions: West

West

Squatter Fodder
Reaction score
I have a similar setup with my snow peak - the things I like about traditional backpacking stoves as opposed to jetboil are that they compact to a smaller size (the stove can be stored inside a small backpacking pot). They're also a bit more versatile in the size of pot you can cook with - I'm going to travel with a buddy and like to cook on skillet and large pots when there's company, so it just meets my needs better. Jetboil are sexy and efficient though, I'll agree with you on that.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads