Public Cabins - USA | Squat the Planet

Public Cabins - USA

In Hoc Signo Vinces

Reaction score
I know that Alaska is flooded with public cabins. They are everywhere. I also know that in Death Valley they have a public cabin. Are there any other public cabins in the USA? I want to live in a public cabin for a bit. I thought about squatting in a rental but the park rangers or owners could come in, which would be bad. With the pandemic, it is possible that no one is renting. Is there a slight possibility of public cabins being in the Northwest or the Northeast?

Reactions: Nomadicinquiries
D

Deleted member 23824

Had never heard of them till you posted. Everything I saw on the net referred to them as being in Alaska, but not totally sure. Says there are 80 total in Alaska State Parks, so not exactly flooded with them, I’d say. They are cabins that are for rent, apparently, via reservation, not just a first come/first serve basis.

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
This post is all I know of them.

I want to live in a public cabin for a bit.

Personally, Idk how I feel about someone moving into one, almost seems like that defeats the purpose in a sense. What's "a bit"? Seems like a week is reasonable, seems like a month or two is a bit much. That's just my opinion though.

• Agree
Reactions: mylon and Coywolf

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
My experience working for the USFS and NPS is that yes, there are lots of rentable cabins/guard stations/fire lookouts, but most of them charge fees, and they are locked with a key lock or a code.

There are plenty of abandoned cabins and stuff out on the land. Can usually find that stuff online, like at Atlas Obscura.

The reason they charge for those cabins is because it costs a shit load of money for the maintenance of those building, so if you do squat one, try to clean it up afterwards.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads