Prudhoe Bay, Alaska above the Arctic Circle! | Squat the Planet

Prudhoe Bay, Alaska above the Arctic Circle!

Shoestring

Professional Hobo
Banned
Reaction score
Rolling, empty boxcars to Sioux Falls, South Dakot
Website
www.youtube.com
This photo here was taken on the "Haul Road" that runs from just north of Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay on Alaska's North Slope.
(It's an unpaved hiway all the way too)!

I actually rode a bicycle from the small township of Seward, Alaska all the way up to Prudhoe Bay while pulling a two-wheeled trailer! (This story can be read here under "Stories"). Or at:
http://www.webook.com/project/life-times-of-a-professional-hobo
(Under the title)........."My bicycle ride to the Arctic Ocean"

This too is the "Haul Road", (also called the "Dalton Hiway").
This was near the pass that crosses the "Brooks Range Mountains"!!!

This is a shot just south of Anchorage, Alaska as I was almost done riding up the "Turnagain Arm" area south of Anchorage.

"Turnagain Arm" is an area south of Anchorage that is rightly so named being that when you're traveling either north or south along this area, you actually "turn again"! (The road turns and travels the opposite direction from what you've been traveling)! You can look across the inlet and see the road that you were just on, but it's way across the water on the other side!!!

Alaska is probably the most important location that "ANYBODY" can travel to while out on the road/rails!!!
You can actually get their real cheap flying from "SeaTac" airport (Seattle). I have flown to Alaska for as cheap as $88.00 and the most that I have ever paid has been $211.00!!!
This state truely does take you under her wing and invite you in to stay for good! (I have been back and fourth to Alaska 13 times since 1989)! For me, Alaska seems to be located on an entirely different planet, being it is such a truely clean and beautiful place to visit!
There are so, so, so many things to do and see while up here!
Tons of Salmon, Herring and Halibut cannery work from roughly late April with Herring. July with Salmon. August with Halibut.

Good time await you in Alaska should you ever go up,.......or go back again!!! The summertime daylight hours will amaze you when it never ever seems to ever really get dark all the way!
So, this late spring or summer, why not take a trip up to Alaska from "SeaTac" airport??? (You'll truely be terribly happy that you did)!!!

2605531147_9834c9f2f3_m.jpg
This is again near the pass along the "Brooks Range".

473108106_e77d4fc7de.jpg
This here is the "Haul Road" or also called the "Dalton Hiway".

I

IBRRHOBO

Did some wrenching up there for Haliburton back in the day! In the dead of winter you could walk out on the rig floor and throw a hot cup of water in the air and it would VANISH! No fucking shit! It's so cold and ARID that it vaporizes; actually it's absorbed into the air, but still amazing! Also, no FUCKING SLEEP! Nautical twilight for what seemed for ever and then like almost 3 weeks of black! And I mean PITCH FUCKING BLACK! Man, I was never so ucking A happy to get back CONUS!

Killer pix, BTW!!!

Avon Drunquist

Reaction score
My dad worked on the Great Alaskan Pipeline at Prudhoe bay and he pretty much told me about how it's legal to grow and smoke weed and how cold it was and how one of the crew members was killed by a polar bear. From other pictures I've seen of his, it looks really awesome.

Tony

Reaction score
Never got to drive the Dalton, always wanted to! Drove the Elliot, Old Steese and the Alaska Highway, i plan to return for the Dalton.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads