Protecting a train riding dogs hearing | Squat the Planet

Protecting a train riding dogs hearing

beersalt

Reaction score
Website
m.soundcloud.com
Here's a question for those that have hopped trains with a dog long-term.
I know that many railroad workers are prone to hearing loss.. and I know for a fact, that I definitely have grown to like riding freight with ear plugs in. So, why wouldn't I try the same for my pooch?
Out of all of the dogs I've ridden trains with, I've never had anyone of their humans talk of hearing loss that has occurred.

Thoughts??
I've wanted to invest in some kind of "doggy ear muffs" or something. Just to try out.. the only ones I've ever really seen have been for pilots looking to take their dogs on planes, and are wicked expensive. I tried using gauze wraps, but that stuff just doesn't stick well on fur.

Older Than Dirt

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I have absolutely zero experience with freight riding with dogs, but a whole lot of experience with dogs generally.

It is often the case that dogs ignore stuff that bothers us (and vice versa). My experience of dogs and noise is that dogs don't like sudden noises, especially clangy metallic ones, but steady noise doesn't tend to bother them. Dogs can hear more than twice as high as us, so who knows what horrible screeches inaudible to humans trains may produce.

If the train noise is damaging the dog's hearing, the dog will be experiencing distress, and will show signs of distress (ears back, crying/yipping, cringing/cowering etc). So watch your dog- if they look OK/happy, their hearing should be OK.

dingee

Reaction score
I tried everything I could possibly think of - and searched for products - for years before I gave up. My dogs ridden 15 years and can still hear some. But it definitely caused considerable hearing loss.
Honestly haven't thought about it for several years, as i figured the damage was mostly done. I remember assuaging my guilt by telling myself she has a much better life than any housie dog, and that made it worth it. She loves fireworks, loves riding, and never once showed fear or discomfort even from the very first train, so I believe she would have made the choice herself if she could. Lol, The games we play with ourselves, right?
This is something to consider though. Some dogs don't like trains and never get over that. Some of it is a breed thing I think. And honestly, if you have an abused dog, whom are often scared of loud noises, it could even be considered abusive to ride with them. These are all things you have to struggle with on your own of course.
Now I'm curious to see what folks' experiences are with different breeds an such....

D

Deleted member 125

So is taking a dog on a train and I'm pretty sure we all know that thanks

So you agree that the advice you gave was a bad idea? Why would you intentionally try to tell people who may not know better something that could be harmful to their dog?

@dumpsternavel I'm sure knows better than to leave cotton balls in their dogs ears because this is a great way to get an infection. Other people reading this thread might not know better and think yer advice was solid and could end up with a sick puppy.

Older Than Dirt

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
There are dog hearing protection ear muffs on amazon, as you say for pilots, but they cost $60-90, which doesn't seem crazy expensive to me for something that should last for many years. Mutt Muffs and 4 Paws seem to be the big brands.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002CZQ1TA/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VLWG8CF/

Reviews of both are fairly positive, from pilots, shooters, and one dude whose dog didn't dig the loud music at his church until he got the dog hearing protection.

Reactions: beersalt
D

Deleted member 13433

when the person who had my dog before I did decided that she was going to give the dog to some train rising kid here on STP around this time ten years ago, I stepped in and adopted the dog from her, because I sensed that was a very bad idea, plus her [I'm purposely not mentioning her name] dog was really starting to bond with me and vice versa.

after a few party's [*I have a full blown recording studio that I also live in where stage volume levels was a part of the process...] it became very apparent to me that loud sounds were no longer going to be a part of my life, so I shut the studio down, and it was the best thing ever because it's coming up on 10 years since I adopted Loki, who as it turns out was not a high energy dog, but a dog with special needs that needs a safe quiet place where there is freedom and lots of love.

I agree with @Desperado Deluxe that to me train hopping with a dog is a bad idea, but that is just my opinion.

other's may feel differently, and that's ok to.

good luck............

D

Deleted member 125

I agree with @Desperado Deluxe that to me train hopping with a dog is a bad idea, but that is just my opinion.

OP asked if anyone had advice on how to protect their dogs ears while riding trains, not if people agreed or disagreed if riding trains with a dog is a good or bad idea, that topic has been discussed multiple times here before.

croc

Reaction score
Yo, Dragz! I got those mutt muffs for pig actually. I should've shown them to u in Tucson.

The reviews for dog muffs often say they wouldn't stay on their dog's head and even tho I read hella reviews before buying them, I did it anyway bc I figured if I had the money at the time it would be worth the investment for my dog. And even if it didn't work, it'd be worth a try.

So yeah, they kept sliding off her silky little head. I couldn't find a way to keep them on even if she wasn't playing or anything, they'd still slide back onto her neck. I think they must be better than no ear protection at all if u could find a way to keep them on. But since Meeks is big, you might have better luck modifying ones made for humans (maybe child's size?) to custom fit her head.

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
This post has been decided to be dangerously incorrect advice and it should not be followed by anyone.
Cotton balls aren't going to give your dog an ear infection. Being a stupid dirty oogle letting them get ear mites will. In fact you should probably clean your dogs ears out with cotton balls (with mild solution) on occasion. I'd recommend this to anyone who has problems with their dog around loud noises fireworks etc.
It's pretty much proven that it helps. It's been stated in multiple other posts.
They also make natural sedatives you can get at most pet stores.
You should even wear some yourself. I'd rip one in half and stick in each ear..

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: Matt Derrick

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
Leaving them in will. I'm not arguing that cleaning out yer dogs ears is important. I'm saying plugging them up for hours on end on a train is a bad idea.
Maybe if you left them in for days or weeks but the reality is you'll probably have a hard time keeping them in that long. It's really a null arguement for the sake of personal feud.

• Dislike
Reactions: Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Cotton balls for ear plugs. A vest or something to wrap around them gives them a lot of comfort. You could also give them a sedative.

this is terrible advice and no one should follow it for countless reasons. this person obviously has never had any experience with dogs on trains; giving your dog a sedative and then going on to perform something as dangerous as riding freight trains is extremely stupid. i would like to remind @Desperado Deluxe to review our Guide to Using StP which states:

Please do not give advice on topics you have no experience with.

Sometimes we get 'armchair travelers' that like to give advice on things they do not have any experience with. For example, a user that has never traveled via freight trains might encourage other users to travel with a gun for protection. While this might make sense from someone that has never been involved with that lifestyle, in reality it will most certainly land you in jail with a felony should you ever be caught.

While this occurs very rarely, it is highly frowned upon; moderators are watching and if we see you posting wildly inaccurate information it will be removed and we will issue you a warning.

@Desperado Deluxe has been issued a warning for posting dangerously wrong advice.

Reactions: Nomadicinquiries

B Shoe

Reaction score
20200506_135632 (2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

croc

Reaction score
@B Shoe is that ur dog? And are they wearing human ear protection? If so, did u need to modify them at all?

B Shoe

Reaction score
My dog. Just human ear protectors being warn in a shop where there was loud metal-working. He seemed to tolerate it OK. Maybe something to consider. I used to hop with my previous dog. I tried regular little ear plugs but they always fell out. I came to the conclusion it was too stressful/loudfor my dog and stopped bringing him along. I had the option of leaving him with others, obviously not everyone has that option. Maybe these type of ear protectors could have worked though....

Reactions: beersalt and croc

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads