Testing Phase Project Proposal: StP 'Travel Guides' (1 Viewer)

Would you contribute to a 'city guides' section of StP?

• No -- I don't have the time or inclination to contribute to such a project.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No -- I don't think it's a good idea.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Hey folks, just throwing out another idea here to see if people would be interested before I start investing a lot of time into it.

This time, I have a revised idea based on a previous project that I tried, the "StP Atlas". For those that don't remember, this was a section of the website where folks could post locations of interest to other travelers. Anything from abandoned locations to interesting places to explore, to useful things to know while in a particular city. It was pretty broad in it's scope, and after about 6 months only 2-3 locations had been posted, so I shut it down and wrote it off as a failure since it seemed to be an answer to a problem no one had.

Since I still own a (paid) license to the addon, I'd like to propose a different direction for that project with similar goals. Tightening the scope of the project a bit, the idea this time around would be to provide a space where users could create pages for towns/cities/villages they are familiar with or come across in their travels. These guides would be a compilation of what to see, what to do, where to eat, how to get around town, where to sleep, etc. I'm open to any other categories folks want information on as well.

So (hopefully) a StP user would come along and hit the "add location" button and fill out whatever info they can, and later other users can either edit that info or comment on the page and contribute more information. These locations would be divided into categories by region/country and further sortable by almost any criteria we want, such as star rating (from reviews of that location -- a separate thing you can do from commenting), state, number of comments, etc... the criteria available for sorting is pretty broad.

here's a decent example someone contributed on the previous version of this:

So yeah, if folks thinks this is something that would be useful let me know. Is this something you would contribute to? Even if you wouldn't, please vote in the poll (you can choose multiple options) so i know whether to waste my time or not. Not trying to be negative here, just saying, this failed once already so if folks aren't going to use it, I need to take it off my plate of StP 'things to do' so I can work on other StP projects.

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

Coywolf

Mastering the Art of Houselessness
Staff member
Website
www.youtube.com
Ita a great idea. I would be able to contribute info on places I have been. Would really be helpful to people, not having to wade through the 'Where to' section to find the info they need on a city. Sometimes it takes reading multiple threads in that section to get the info you want about a city.

Coywolf

Mastering the Art of Houselessness
Staff member
Website
www.youtube.com
Will we be able to tell people to avoid certain places for certain reasons as well? Like for example I want to be able to tell people to stay away from 14th Street in Manhattan if they plan on panhandling
Is this the digital version of the hobo sign? Writing the web address of the StP cities forum with a forward slash and thread specific location HTML? 🤣

But ya, I agree, this would be very use for both good, and bad aspects of an area.

WyldLyfe

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
It's a awesome idea, I mentioned something like this too once an said it a be cool but I said in a map format which really makes no difference an would prob just b a bit more messy for peeps, I this it has potential to be a very helpful section for the community, something everyone could contribute to a bit or a lot.

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
It's a awesome idea, I mentioned something like this too once an said it a be cool but I said in a map format which really makes no difference an would prob just b a bit more messy for peeps, I this it has potential to be a very helpful section for the community, something everyone could contribute to a bit or a lot.
there is an option to have each page plotted on a map, per category, but not all on one map, although that feature may be coming soon.

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
So far it looks like this is going to pass by a wide margin, but I'm going to wait until the poll ends to spend the money and start working on it.

jeejthecat

Pilgrim
Definitely have brief knowledge of some remote locations and more intensive knowledge of a few others. Would things need to be heavily detailed? And would it be wikipedia styled- open edits etc.?

Hobomatt

Lurker
Hey folks, just throwing out another idea here to see if people would be interested before I start investing a lot of time into it.

This time, I have a revised idea based on a previous project that I tried, the "StP Atlas". For those that don't remember, this was a section of the website where folks could post locations of interest to other travelers. Anything from abandoned locations to interesting places to explore, to useful things to know while in a particular city. It was pretty broad in it's scope, and after about 6 months only 2-3 locations had been posted, so I shut it down and wrote it off as a failure since it seemed to be an answer to a problem no one had.

Since I still own a (paid) license to the addon, I'd like to propose a different direction for that project with similar goals. Tightening the scope of the project a bit, the idea this time around would be to provide a space where users could create pages for towns/cities/villages they are familiar with or come across in their travels. These guides would be a compilation of what to see, what to do, where to eat, how to get around town, where to sleep, etc. I'm open to any other categories folks want information on as well.

So (hopefully) a StP user would come along and hit the "add location" button and fill out whatever info they can, and later other users can either edit that info or comment on the page and contribute more information. These locations would be divided into categories by region/country and further sortable by almost any criteria we want, such as star rating (from reviews of that location -- a separate thing you can do from commenting), state, number of comments, etc... the criteria available for sorting is pretty broad.

here's a decent example someone contributed on the previous version of this:

So yeah, if folks thinks this is something that would be useful let me know. Is this something you would contribute to? Even if you wouldn't, please vote in the poll (you can choose multiple options) so i know whether to waste my time or not. Not trying to be negative here, just saying, this failed once already so if folks aren't going to use it, I need to take it off my plate of StP 'things to do' so I can work on other StP projects.
Is this the digital version of the hobo sign? Writing the web address of the StP cities forum with a forward slash and thread specific location HTML? 🤣

But ya, I agree, this would be very use for both good, and bad aspects of an area.

i can speak to Colorado Springs. It has a very large “ homeless industry” with the Springs Rescue Mission being the 800lb gorilla. There is quite a bit of confusion between “homeless” and “vagrants/vagabonds”. Part of that is from the Rescue Missions’ advertising (they are all”our precious neighbors”). The upshot of all this is that the Springs is rich in handouts. Lots of individuals and agencies telling people to “stay homeless” with their handouts. Lots of help here - lots of enabling. The Police have a six person “HOT Team” that deals with homeless folks. It is illegal to camp but the cops have a somewhat slow response time. Lots of folks set up and immediately figure out where the next camping spot will be. They get a week-plus in each spot. There are a couple of folks who repair and handout bicycles to homeless folks and, unfortunately, lots of stolen bikes. Lots and lots of food handouts around the Downtown area. Food not bombs does a Sunday feed at the main Library at 12:30. The main Soup Kitchen does a really big meal every day, with jars of “to go” food as you leave. There’s a homeless clinic run by the Community Health center. Many, many people flying signs, they seem to make a fair amount. Both the large shelters are doing “low barrier shelter” for when it’s cold. Very good help for those trying to get off the street but, i recently ran into three guys who had been on the street for 20+ years. Lots of people saying: “ Stay homeless”....

TheUndeadPhoenix

The Necromancer King
StP Supporter

Considering most cities sandblast shit- even a single letter they consider graffiti- clean these days, I think this is how it should evolve with the times

Hazardoussix6six

RideBikesPlayPolo
i can speak to Colorado Springs. It has a very large “ homeless industry” with the Springs Rescue Mission being the 800lb gorilla. There is quite a bit of confusion between “homeless” and “vagrants/vagabonds”. Part of that is from the Rescue Missions’ advertising (they are all”our precious neighbors”). The upshot of all this is that the Springs is rich in handouts. Lots of individuals and agencies telling people to “stay homeless” with their handouts. Lots of help here - lots of enabling. The Police have a six person “HOT Team” that deals with homeless folks. It is illegal to camp but the cops have a somewhat slow response time. Lots of folks set up and immediately figure out where the next camping spot will be. They get a week-plus in each spot. There are a couple of folks who repair and handout bicycles to homeless folks and, unfortunately, lots of stolen bikes. Lots and lots of food handouts around the Downtown area. Food not bombs does a Sunday feed at the main Library at 12:30. The main Soup Kitchen does a really big meal every day, with jars of “to go” food as you leave. There’s a homeless clinic run by the Community Health center. Many, many people flying signs, they seem to make a fair amount. Both the large shelters are doing “low barrier shelter” for when it’s cold. Very good help for those trying to get off the street but, i recently ran into three guys who had been on the street for 20+ years. Lots of people saying: “ Stay homeless”....
I can second this, springs have always treated me well in my travels, not for flying signs but in feeds and clothing vouchers etc

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Just to let everyone know, this has now been implemented, although it has been renamed to the 'travel guides' section! Go here to check it out:

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
How does it work? If I make a guide for one city, can others contribute to it or do I have to add their information myself? When I go into to make a post, it looks similar to the profile editor
you can create a guide for any location you like, and yes, afterwards people can add things to it or edit what you wrote to update it. they can also just post a comment, or post a review of that location to give their opinion on it without messing up what you wrote. we also have an edit history so we know who edited what when in case someone decides to vandalize something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

My account finally says "Hobo"
No one can tell me I didn't earn my skank
Anyone in Minneapolis at the protest, just got back here from Duluth
Will do these posts occasionally so family and friends know we are alive and well.
Currently: in Mariposa, CA, getting ready to head to Coulterville, CA.
Always sucks to see good ppl/new friends get back on that ironhorse after getting to hangout/know, be safe friends an stay in touch! @Koala @scutellaria, maxy, Henry an well. Wish I was enroute South with y'all!
I hate my fucking back. A combination of bank bullshit and now a strained or sprained back had kept me held up in Pennsylvania. Have a place to stay, but I'm pissed at life trying to keep me off the road!
Fuck it, I'm getting a bottle
Wheat2020 wrote on Matt Derrick's profile.
I'mma cut to the chase: You don't call me what I consider to be a slur or insult, and I won't call you names.
You say I should love myself and have more self-confidence. You've got it all wrong. I love myself plenty, and I know for a fact that I am capable of doing incredible things, both good and evil.
You say fake it till you make it. I'm too honest for that. Instead I will have faith in myself, and act accordingly.
These new rules for the train riding forum are ridiculous. I've been on here for 5 ish years.
MFB wrote on Older Than Dirt's profile.
Just wanted to say you look waaay better in your new avatar pic. ;) You clean up nice!
Bent123 wrote on iamwhatiam's profile.
I read your story last month about working in Alaska. I got a job in Naknek this summer. Definitely can get how it felt like jail. I fear it's really going to feel that way with this virus. We can't go into town. I'm not very happy about that since it will limit my exploring. Yet I really need the opportunity right now. Anymore advice is much appreciated.

Members online

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Threads in last 24 hours
Messages in last 24 hours
Members in last 30 days
Latest member
Fenimore