problems with racoons | Squat the Planet

problems with racoons

Pizzacrust

Reaction score
ive experienced this in the city and traveling through forests

anyone have tips for avoiding or scaring off coons
they can be a problem when camping or squatting
cause they more often then not will wander upon you and create an awkward silence
i personally like them
but ive had some weird encounters with racoons
like them staring at me and following me

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
i think it would be neat having a racoon follow me. ide name him bandit.

katiehabits

Reaction score
Website
kthabits.tumblr.com
i'd embrace the fact the they follow you. don't try scareing them just treat them with respect. when they stare at you they are checking you out to see if your a treat so just look back at it and speak softly. it'll either run off or stay there out of fear. raccoons are our animal equals in many ways. i have a huge respect and love for them.

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
i'd embrace the fact the they follow you. don't try scareing them just treat them with respect. when they stare at you they are checking you out to see if your a treat so just look back at it and speak softly. it'll either run off or stay there out of fear. raccoons are our animal equals in many ways. i have a huge respect and love for them.

you mean threat not treat right? haha

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Reaction score
Racoons are annoying at times but not usually dangerous. Leave them alone and they'll usually leave you alone. If you leave any food out though, they will help themselves, kinda like us.

Pizzacrust

Reaction score
yeah its really only the raccoons in the city i have a problem with
they usually hiss at me and shit
the outer city raccoons are nice
specially the ones who live in the forests on the side of I-5 up here in Seattle where i sometimes sleep and paint
ive had full on conversations with em where they make some weird sound and i make one back and it goes back and forth and they make some funny face and run off
frankly, its pretty fucking cute
i love raccoons
i just dont want them kicking my ass

dirtyfacedan

Reaction score
I prefer Racoons to most other animals that get close to camp anyday. I saw one waiting for my first ferry to Vancouver today...he was eating cat food put out by the crew for a feral cat. Keeping them away? keep all food smells away from your kit. I need to do that anyways...bears, black and grizzly, are much worse to have snooping around.

maus

Reaction score
i have an awesome raccoon story from here in santa cruz.

so theres a trailer park on the edge of a forest where folks camp sometimes. this kid goes to sleep right behind the trailer park one night. before going to sleep he hangs his backpack in a tree because there's food in it. he is woiken up in the middle of the night by a raccoon grabbing and shaking his feet. the raccoon indicates her/his interest in the backpack! kid will not give the raccoon foot. raccoon keeps hassling him and wont let him sleep. he has to go find another place to sleep eventually. raccoon shakedown!!

but yeah basically i would say putting things in closed and latched plastic containers is the best - raccoons can definitely pry off lids that aren't hard to open. certain critters, like the wood rats we have here will chew threw thinner plastic containers in no time.

L.C.

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
beware of raccoons! during the late 80,s there was anoutbreak of rabies in the north east U.S. they are one of the most commenly infected creatures. one sign is seeing them during the day. they are strictly nocternal creatures. be extra careful if you have a dog. even if your dog is vaccinated you don't want to take that chance with your friend. unless you have some kind of special food containers, put yor food in the air not a tree! throw a rope over a tree branch using a weight[rock]. lift it up,but don't lift it all the way up to the branch. raccoons can reach it there. leave a gap between of at least 5ft. raccoons that are curius aren't usually a problem. don't bother them and they probably won't bother you. it's hard to say if to chase a raccoon away due to rabies. healthy raccoon usually wont attack if you scare it off,but unless it is foaming at the mouth or acting confused its impossable to tell.if bitten go imediatly to a hospital. if possible obtain the head. the only way to test the animal for rabies is to disect the brain. raccoons are fun to watch keep it at that.

RideMoreTrains

Reaction score
i would heed LC advice if anyone has a lot of raccoons living near them.

i got a few raccoons by my house that were recently found to have rabies. they found two with rabies about 1/4th of a mile from my house. i had to stop letting my dogs outdoors as much and when they are outdoors i keep a very close eye on them.

coon-hunting-rifles-4.jpg

Mauser CZ 527 Varmint rifle

it doesn't hurt to keep one of these around either. i catch 'em in my yard and i go and pull this thing out.

Calea Spots

Reaction score
damn. spirit guides aren't supposed to get rabies.

wildboy860

CrustyhoboHippycore
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I remember when I was younger my grandma had a pet raccoon named Rockey the thing was pretty fuckin cool

Dameon

Reaction score
Raccoons are my one real fear. I'm pretty certain they're simply biding their time until they rise up and devour us all. The ones in Golden Gate Park are just scary, they're huge and run around in packs, and not afraid of humans at all. I ran into one in the middle of a path at night while tripping one time with a friend, and he would not move, he just sat there and stared at us. If he could talk, I bet he would have said "Get off my path before I tear off your face."

Basically, I guess I'm saying that I do not fuck with raccoons.

614 crust

Ex-Moderator / Elitist asshole
Reaction score
Website
feralkidscreations.com
I was just down in the south east for a few months and didn't realy have any problms with em. Hell didn't even see any. But here in Ohio they run rampant like everywhere and get into every fucking thing they can. Quite annoying sometimes.

4014-a.jpg

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Raccoons don't seem to be much of a problem in the mid-atlantic area either, and I've only heard of them forming packs on the west coast, where they'll actually do things like ambush cats and dogs. Eliminating the competition, I suppose, so it's only a matter of time before we have to watch out, right? And for the northern folks, here's

The theme song of a cartoon called "the raccoons"

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads