pro 82 radio shack scanner

blackmatter

Reaction score
so i found this scanner the pro 82 radioshack good buy anyway i found this scanner criteria and im wondering if anyone can help me understand whether the criteria is compatible with the type of scanner

its 100 channel ijust need to know if it has the bandwidth and power what not to catch radio frequencies from train banter

Capable of receiving in the 148-174 MHz "High Band" and the 450-470 MHz "UHF Band".
Sufficient pre-storable scanner channels to cover all frequencies you will wish to listen to regularly (see below).
A lock-out button to allow selected scanner channels to be locked out (not scanned).
A priority system and button to allow selected scanner channels to be indicated as high priority for scanning.
A search capability to allow for search for active frequencies within some range.
A delay button which holds the current frequency for 1 or 2 seconds after a signal ends.
A button-controlled light for the frequency information window.
A lock for the keypad to prevent accidental key presses.
Rechargeable batteries

any tips or further remarks are greatly appreciated thanks bunches :)

Marik

Reaction score
I'm almost 100% sure it will. I had one before I got in to trains and it was a pretty good scanner. I think it might even have the railroad channels already built in. I'm pretty sure it's a 200 channel scanner as well, so you'll have room for other channels if you want. "Power" doesn't really fit in with a scanner, the main thing that makes a difference in receiving is antennas, invest in a decent one.

blackmatter

Reaction score
actually i just found the pro 23 on craigs list and it fits all of the above so yeah hoping thatll work and no credit card transaction which is nice

dirtyfacedan

Reaction score
Yes. it sure will do north american railroads. Just google the freq's, and put them in the scanner. You can use the lockout feature to lock out the belt pack's and any yard stuff, if you just want road freq's. I use mine often. It's a great tool to have with you.

Post edited by: dirtyfacedan, at: 2007/05/22 03:49

TBone

Reaction score
I also recomend the pro-83 it's worked great for me. I would also recommend upgrading the the antenna to the longer 800mhz type. It's around $15 at radio shack.

blackmatter

Reaction score
yeah hopefully the one im getting will come with an instruction manual so i dont have try to find it online shouldnt have to much trouble figurin it out but if i do ill ask yall

dirtyfacedan

Reaction score
TBone wrote:
I also recomend the pro-83 it's worked great for me. I would also recommend upgrading the the antenna to the longer 800mhz type. It's around $15 at radio shack.
Whoa...the 800 mhz won't recieve as well, as it isn't the proper wavelength, not to cut you down or anything tbone, but a shorter VHF (139-175 Mhz) will out recieve the longer 800 mhz. Even better is a bottom loaded VHF ant, you can get at ham shops, radio scrap etc. hope this helps.

TBone

Reaction score
dirtyfacedan wrote:
TBone wrote:
I also recomend the pro-83 it's wor... ham shops, radio scrap etc. hope this helps. Hey man any info is welcome. Would an antenna that covers a wide range be better or is limiting your range better? I've seen some that cover from 25-1500 mhz. I'm also going to try making my own. I gave widerstand some info I found on the subject. Taking a car antenna or a piece of copper pipe and fitting it to one of the BNC connectors and trimming it to 17.4 inches which I have read is about the optimal length for RR frequencies.

dirtyfacedan

Reaction score
pro 82 & 83 radio shack scanner

I just use a VHF antenna tuned for the whacker band (ham's) that is below the RR band. It doesn't need to be resonant, as you aren't transmitting. I can hear detectors over 100Km away with that, so it should work for others as well. If you really want to hear stuff far away, you can get telescopic half wave antenna's for the ham bands that will work as well, just leave about an inch not pulled out. If you want big ears, a mobile 5/8 wave will work wonders. Good luck!!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads