Preparing for the collapse of society....

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
(((Forgive me if this topic has been posted already..i've searched and haven't found anything recent. Only a couple posts about whether it's gonna happen, or what you would want to have when the revolution comes)))

So, this isn't a thread about whether or not it's gonna happen, etc........ I'm interested in for those of you who think we're about to see everything around us crumble: What are you doing specifically to prepare for it? What skills do you think would be most important to learn?

And for those of you who don't believe in an impending apocalypse: Are you taking any steps to become more self sufficient?

Diagaro

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In preparation for the apocalypse/end of civilization - whatever I am doing .. . . . . exactly what I have alwease done, live life to the fullest, with minimal regret, rarely hurting others, taking only what I need to survive out of the universes pool and putting as much back in as possible and staying happy on a minimalist level.
I have survived in some harsh situations, and if they are not training enough then I will gladly die to open more space and resources to those that come along in my absence - If my death feeds, clothes, or somehow houses two I will not have died in vain.
As for nuclear cataclysm I shy away from larger citys and military overrun areas, fallout is no concern, if it happens, it happens.

Nelco

Reaction score
researching, giving myself options with knowledge..avoiding crazy people so it doesn't be a mistake later, if everything goes crazy.

dharma bum

anarcho-transcendentalist
Reaction score
a buddy of mine sent this to me a couple of weeks ago...

Post apocalypse to-do list

THE BASIC LIST:
get leaner (disencourage cannibalism)
get stronger
get faster (outrun zombies)
basic first aid
CPR (adult, child & infant)
be prepared (emergency food, first aid, water)
be prepared (tools, booze,pot, radio)
basic construction
cooking over campfire
basic mending & sewing
growing food
storing food
purchase bike
bike safety & maintenance
orienteering
fire safety
basic veterinary first aid
learning to drive a manual transmission
relaxation techniques/yoga
swimming/holding breath
knot skills/making rope
Make harness to carry small child on back
purchase new machete
urban foraging(finding medicine, robbing stores)
making escape plans/back up plans
INTERMEDIATE TASKS:
advanced first aid
be able to run with Samson the Wonderdog strapped to me
figure out way to strap Samson the Wonderdog to me
gun safety & maintenance

load & fire handgun
load & fire rifle

load & fire shotgun
metalworking/welding
rock climbing
woodchopping
sledgehammering
soapmaking
farm animal keeping/care
horseback riding
archery/crossbow skills
starting/building a fire sans matches
motorcycle riding
marathon walking
hand-to-hand combat/self-defense
building rudimentary shelter
foraging/identifying edible plants
gather/purify water
diplomacy
group disaster training

shwillyhaaa

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
i personally have yet to grasp what i think about it happening (whatever "it" is) all i know, which scares me a little when i find myself thinking of it, is that something is going to happen very soon. i have yet to experience all the things i want, and worry all those things will seize to exsist. so i have no real preparations for the fact that i know that whatever happens is supposed to happen... whether i survive or not, is not much of a concern to me. empires rise and fall... its imminent and also very natural. the need to survive is also.... so im sure ill be more than ready just doing what i feel is right when the moment arrises. zombies tho... all you have to do is get a gun, some partners, stay sober and aware, and be able to run faster than a brain-dead almost dead human with missing limbs (unless of course they learn how to use guns and swords... ninja zombies?)

wildboy860

CrustyhoboHippycore
StP Supporter
Reaction score
When the Apocalypse starts, I'm gonna play the Iron Maiden song "Run to the Hills"

P

Pheonix

in a post-apocalyptic situation, the first thing I would do is gather a militia. second thing I would do is strategically scout a location in the country but near a crossroads of several supply routes. kill the farmer and his family that are living in my new HQ and start robbing supply trucks and other heavily supplied traffic in the area. then take the earnings back to HQ and divide amongst the soldiers and their families and use what we can to fortify the place in case another militia tries to invade. maybe even invade some other militias and communes for their supplies and women, killing the soldiers and enslaving the weak to build great monuments in my honor.

CardBoardBox

Reaction score
in a post-apocalyptic situation, the first thing I would do is gather a militia. second thing I would do is strategically scout a location in the country but near a crossroads of several supply routes. kill the farmer and his family that are living in my new HQ and start robbing supply trucks and other heavily supplied traffic in the area. then take the earnings back to HQ and divide amongst the soldiers and their families and use what we can to fortify the place in case another militia tries to invade. maybe even invade some other militias and communes for their supplies and women, killing the soldiers and enslaving the weak to build great monuments in my honor.

almost sounds like you took this idea out of the Walking Dead Comics. :p cause thats preeeettty much what goes down.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
I'll be the one trying to get the hell away from major cities, since I don't particularly like desperate people.

Nemo

Reaction score
I've collected E-books over the years dealing with survival skills, primitive skills, construction, gardening etc. etc.
Assuming we will run out of fossil fuels... I have a solar battery charger for the ebook reader that I have. I also practice certain skills from the books that interest me slowly over the course of time in case this were to happen. Which I think it will. We live in a closing society, in my opinion there is no doubt about it.

However I do not concern myself heavily on the issue as that can bring a halt in life. I roll with waves and if one day something major happens, I'll continue to go to the flow and continue surviving just as I always have and will.
Seeing this post, I think I'll share a torrent with my EBook collection on the subject..

-NEMO

lowerarchy

Reaction score
You know what I'm going to do when the shit goes down? Exactly what I'm doing right now, which is pretty much getting to know my neighbours better and trying new things. It's not the capacity to defend yourself and your food cache against hordes of ravenous outsiders, it's about working with your community to feed ravenous outsiders. That's really the only thing you can do. Because all fantasies about getting a bunch of guns and running a tiny slice of the world with an iron fist just aren't very realistic, and the reason for that is when you're out in the country in the middle of nowhere and you need something, you need to ask your neighbors. Might not think much of them when you're shooting at the from your fortified castle but you'll be sorry you pissed them off when you need a blacksmith or a vet or just some bodies to help you get a project done. You just can't be self-sufficient forever and have no contact with the outside world. It's impossible.

So yeah, my plan for the apocalypse is to get a hammer and an anvil and as soon as the mushroom clouds blow away I'm making some fucking horseshoes and trading them for fish.

Ok, end general rant about survivalists. Sorry about that.

I
Seeing this post, I think I'll share a torrent with my EBook collection on the subject..

-NEMO

Dude you should totally do that.

P

Pheonix

I can understand how you think that the fall of society would be a good thing for your happy-go-hippy community. but your not understanding what other people will do. with no laws and no cops to enforce them it will be a free-for-all with militias popping up all over the place. all fighting for land and power, and the only way your friendly community can survive is to defend yourselves or pay taxes to your local dictator.

and in them taxes, I will not only take your horseshoes but I'll take the horses too.

nivoldoog

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I think what most of us do everyday prepares us for that, sleeping outside, scavenging, group stuff. Other then that, guns, booze, bud, and Solar and wind energy

lowerarchy

Reaction score
I can understand how you think that the fall of society would be a good thing for your happy-go-hippy community. but your not understanding what other people will do. with no laws and no cops to enforce them it will be a free-for-all with militias popping up all over the place. all fighting for land and power, and the only way your friendly community can survive is to defend yourselves or pay taxes to your local dictator.

and in them taxes, I will not only take your horseshoes but I'll take the horses too.

You're from Somalia or the north korean demilitarized zone, I assume. You obviously have a lot of experience with lawless societies.

P

Pheonix

close enough, I'm one of them americans who doesn't care much for the laws and can't wait till they are no longer holding me back. if I lived in Somalia or Northern Korea I would have already started my rein of terror.

Nemo

Reaction score
I enjoyed your response lowerarchy; Sounds like that of a nice dream. I'll be friendly, care for as many as I can, help as many as I can and so forth and so on. But you have to realize.... there will be blood just as pheonix says so we'll all have to be a little weary of one another. If this did in fact happen I'd like to build a commune like Harrison Ford does in the South American jungle in the movie 'Mosquito Coast'.

I'd have three laws: No cheating, no lying, and no stealing.

Dude you should totally do that.

I will, just going to have to give me a little time, it's been a while since I've uploaded a torrent via TPB. 600+ books on living frugally! I'll let you know when I post them on the site lower.

D

Deleted member 2626

Everyone said pretty much how I've "been preparing" sleeping underneath the stars on the ground, practicing primitive skills, spending time outside to become used to elements, partying cuz ya got to have fun incase shit does go sour and life turns to shit atleazt ya can remember good times

Nemo

Reaction score
partying cuz ya got to have fun incase shit does go sour and life turns to shit atleazt ya can remember good times

Right on, well said!

lowerarchy

Reaction score
close enough, I'm one of them americans who doesn't care much for the laws and can't wait till they are no longer holding me back. if I lived in Somalia or Northern Korea I would have already started my rein of terror.

Just do it now then. The more conflict we have now the closer we get to apocalypse and the closer you get to your dream.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads