Practice bum run 'round town.. | Squat the Planet

Practice bum run 'round town..

Phoenix

Reaction score
While practical in terms of showing you the kinds of things you may need, etc..it's also awkward as hell when you run in to people you know whilst bumming around a town you've lived your whole life who are like, "oh my god, do you need a place to stay to get back on your feet??" Ahaha. No, like, I'm learning how to function to AVOID the whole long-term rat race thing.. :')

nickhitch

Reaction score
While practical in terms of showing you the kinds of things you may need, etc..it's also awkward as hell when you run in to people you know whilst bumming around a town you've lived your whole life who are like, "oh my god, do you need a place to stay to get back on your feet??" Ahaha. No, like, I'm learning how to function to AVOID the whole long-term rat race thing.. :')
Ive thought about doing this here where i currently live, but this city is fucking huge. Still a good idea.

Reactions: Mankini

Phoenix

Reaction score
Oh my. Ahaha, mine is the kind of mum who'd drag me to her place, kicking and screaming, and then would put a watch around me 24/7 like I'm 12, and keep pestering me to find a job and go to college..

Reactions: kriminalmisfit

OstrichJockey

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I've been caught aggressively panhandling by a few aunts and uncles in New Orleans on a few occasions. I usually get the whole, "You were such a nice boy, get a job and get back on your feet" lecture. I still am a nice boy, and I've never been happier. :)

Where are you at currently?

Phoenix

Reaction score
Manteca, CA. A small town named after lard, with not much promise. It's basically like "a family town" where generation after generation seems to stay, attend the same high school, and then die.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I'm lucky I don't know many folks around here... *older now and the few bruddas that got my back after all this time are scattered around the country...

My mum walks much to the grocer but if she saw me panhandle in the local area...

I imagine she would hit me in da head with a Crucifix and yell "The Devil take ye!"

This place is urbanized enough to avoid situations though...

"You were such a nice boy, get a job and get back on your feet" lecture. I still am a nice boy, and I've never been happier. :)

DAMN SKIPPY!

Last edited:

Flemmings

Reaction score
Yep, been there. The calls to my parents and other family members and people posting shit to my Facebook and all kinds of fucking fun filled drama. Most people after a while started to ignore me. Then they started to lift their heads high and treat me like I'm scum. And whats worse, I grew up in church, and the people who ignored me and treated me like shit the most were the people who I grew up with in the church.

Best to move to the next town over ;) that way you're not too far away from home but you can still get the hang of it. lol

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Then they started to lift their heads high and treat me like I'm scum. And whats worse, I grew up in church, and the people who ignored me and treated me like shit the most were the people who I grew up with in the church.

Unfortunately in life I have found that to happen very often with "religious" people... especially with "family". And I hate that... and I have found out at least with my family no matter the effort you try to interact and lead with decency... its mostly in vain.

It's like they are to dense to understand that being accepting supportive and just doing whats right for the sake of doing whats right is more important than your fucking fairy tails.

(I say that in a way to be a bit offensive even though I'm honestly the least judgmental when it comes to beliefs. I have a larger encompassing idea of the universe and I will not compromise that for hate.)

I mean I'm ... I identify as agnostic... and I don't think that will every change. I have a wonder about life and the universe around me. I love science... nature and philosophy... and religion to... at least the study and understanding of the culture and morality of it.

BUT I tell you what. My experience in my years... (and I'm not too old but not young anymore either)

My experience has been that a secular person. That is not extreme in their beliefs will treat you a hell of a lot more decently than anyone steeped in brainwashed dogma.

@Phoenix sorry for derailing the thread a bit heh... :p... been one of those days.

Phoenix

Reaction score
Oh, by all means, go on. I have similar feelings, am an atheist myself, and poly, and pansexual. Religious people treat me like shit already anyhow, and I don't typically have a fondness for them.

Reactions: Odin
D

Deleted member 125

i generally dont fly a sign or anything in my home town, its just a bad look imo. i think the last thing my city needs is every 40 miler/housed up person hauling their packs out and hitting up a corner, it would be impossible to walk down the damn street.

CelticWanderer

Reaction score
on the whole religious thing, I would go into to churches when i was hitch hiking to okie trying to learn some shit and find something like a god, ended up learning religion tends to be somethin people warp to their own needs and personality and if anything challenges that they jump up their own asses. My favorite thing tho is walking into a service, bummy as fuck and getting disgusted looks from everyone until someone kicks down a buck or two. then everyone goes into the mind set of, oh shit, that person is a better Christian than me and I end up leaving with 40 bucks or more. If i was doin well already id put it in the communion plate or w/e it is and humble the fuck outta the people next to me. The looks on their faces are priceless.. Is that fucked up?

but ya, i live in Augusta, GA and flying a sign around here is just a bad idea in general. Cops gatta keep the public thinking we're a wealthy town for all the rich golf fucks that come here for Masters.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
ha, i've thought about it, but damn my parents would probably disown me if i did it in their town. if i really wanted to embarass the shit out of my dad that's totally what i would do tho (it's a small town).

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
ha, i've thought about it, but damn my parents would probably disown me if i did it in their town. if i really wanted to embarass the shit out of my dad that's totally what i would do tho (it's a small town).

Matt if I'm not mistaken you suggested doing this in the stp ultimate gear guide article. heheh

• Haha
Reactions: Phoenix

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads