Planing to travel

eyeballo

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Ayla/Eyeball/Eye. Been a lurker here for a while. I know that I eventually want to hit the road for a good while but don't have a time frame yet. This is something I've been loosely planning to do for at least 5 years now. There are many reasons why I want to travel but other then just seeing and experiencing new places, I really have trouble picturing myself spending long periods of my life working a typical job even more so having a career and sticking in one field.

I'm currently in Massachusetts saving up some money, trying to learn some skills. I have a high school trade certificate in manufacturing but haven't put it to much use since I've graduate earlier this year. Currently working at a pretty awful chain, fast food style bakery, been looking for a more tolerable job. I'm involved in my local anarchist scene and try to help out with mutual aid projects as much as I can. I really just want to learn a lot before I start traveling and find some buddies so we could figure things out together and learn from each other.

Always open for conversation

The Toecutter

The Patron Saint of Filth
Reaction score
This site should give you a lot of relevant information to help you decide upon your method of travel. You need to figure out also where you want to travel to, and what you want to do when you arrive at your targeted destination. Not having money in this country can really suck, and it is from which most people's difficulties arise.

I recently ordered a copy of "The Anarchist's Guide to Travel" and look forward to reading it. There's a lot I may be able to learn from this book, even if I never get around to practicing the modes it presents. I built a vehicle that can allow me to travel hundreds of miles for literal pennies, but it is also something unique that is probably beyond the knowledge base of most of the people to whom it would be the most helpful to and the initial expense is probably beyond their means. But it works for me, and I may be using it in the future to travel long distances for next to nothing spent.

Working a "typical job" is monotonous and suffocating. I've been doing it for years, and I hate it. But we all need money because of the sort of global prison camp society has been turned into. I won't be able to do it much longer, but fortunately it pays well and it is allowing me to amass the resources necessary to finally drop out of the rat race, without throwing myself back into a hand-to-mouth existence or having to rely on the good will of others(I don't want to mooch).

There has to be a subset of people within your local anarchist scene that know how to live the nomad life on the cheap. I'd be extremely surprised if there weren't.

Best of luck in your endeavors. Your path is probably not going to be an easy one, but you have to do what makes you happy.

eyeballo

Reaction score
There has to be a subset of people within your local anarchist scene that know how to live the nomad life on the cheap. I'd be extremely surprised if there weren't.

Best of luck in your endeavors. Your path is probably not going to be an easy one, but you have to do what makes you happy.
Thanks for the reply, you're right I do know a couple local people who live a nomad life and I should talk to them about it more, just gotta wait until their back in town.

And best of luck in your endeavors as well , sounds like you got a decent plan so I hope it all works out.

Wermi901

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Ayla/Eyeball/Eye. Been a lurker here for a while. I know that I eventually want to hit the road for a good while but don't have a time frame yet. This is something I've been loosely planning to do for at least 5 years now. There are many reasons why I want to travel but other then just seeing and experiencing new places, I really have trouble picturing myself spending long periods of my life working a typical job even more so having a career and sticking in one field.

I'm currently in Massachusetts saving up some money, trying to learn some skills. I have a high school trade certificate in manufacturing but haven't put it to much use since I've graduate earlier this year. Currently working at a pretty awful chain, fast food style bakery, been looking for a more tolerable job. I'm involved in my local anarchist scene and try to help out with mutual aid projects as much as I can. I really just want to learn a lot before I start traveling and find some buddies so we could figure things out together and learn from each other.

Always open for conversation

I can relate heavily to not wanting to spend long periods of time working one job doing one thing. Can also relate to working weird intolerable food job. Im making sandwiches down in Austin which isnt too bad but saving money as well. Anyways im looking for some people as well to travel with! Do you have any idea what method you wanna start with?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads