pirate ship

D

danny boil

well this really is more of a long term project i have in mind, i got the idea from an urban myth thats been floating around i heard from a friend who heard it from... you now, the usual urban myth.

anyways, i've read up a bit on old methods of making ships and whatnot, and you can even find blueprints online, and with enough man power it really wouldnt be too hard to make a 40 foot pirate ship. i dont really know why i want to have a pirate ship, but it would be pretty awesome to have an oldschool pirate boat full of squatters and punks going from harbour to harbour taking shit over and well, being pirates.

i may just be drunk, but i'm going to try in the next couple years.

TBone

Reaction score
Not pirate ships but I came across these the other day.

The two shanty boats 3rd from bottom are some really bad ass ideas.

http://www.simplicityboats.com/

Go to vessels under construction and the "Port Explorer" that one guy is building is fucking awesome.

PEConst%201122.jpg

http://www.americansternwheel.org/main.htm

and this has some decent ideas too.

http://www.alaska.net/~fritzf/Boats/Boats.htm

Post edited by: TBone, at: 2007/04/05 01:43

bananathrash

Reaction score
im with tbone on the houseboat. a house boat would be a lot more practical than a full blown pirate ship. if you built a pirate ship and tried to sail it up the coast youd probably hit bottom and sink it right away. not to burst anyones bubble, of course, but a house boat would be cooler anyways i think. biodiesel houseboat that is..

bananathrash

Reaction score
S

solo

I met an upper class bum who lives on a boat. He spends about $500 every 2 years to maintain it. Fiber glass is much cheaper to maintain than wood he says. Gas is about 12 miles to the gallon and it's a 27 foot boat that he bought for $5,000. We were at FNB under the Burnside bridge and he pointed to where he was parked on the other side of the river. About as centrally located in Portland as you can get. He can legally be there for 3 days and then has to move to another legal dock. And there are all sorts of islands in the Willamette river where he could really get away from the tweakers and cops and have a pretty secure camp site. Not a bad investment.

D

danny boil

those boat folk are pretty awesome.

thats not a bad idea.. instead of one big shit.. fove or six smaller ships..

hmm

ideasinmotion

Reaction score
my friends and i are working on outfitting ourselves for river travel with canoes. canoes towed behind bikes on land, then once on water - bikes towed behind canoes on rafts (down stream of course!). water is good.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
yeah id be down with something like that...

Bendixontherails

Reaction score
absolutely!
I have always wanted to go to St.Paul, put a homebuilt scrap shanty together and drift to nola.

would take a bout two months near as I can figure. my dad used to work barges on the mississippi and the intercoastal canals, and he said the river folk are all chill as hell. they all help each other out.

A

AtticOfThought

me and my friends have been talking about that Idea sence before I quit highscool....musta been like 5 years ago....and then a few of my friends and I were JUST talking about that about a month or two ago. I've spent many-a- nights laying awake thinking about it. and I concluded that it would have to be a boat that could go on rivers....because other wise we would be restricted
to the perimiter of america (if we stay in america) - only the states that touched the ocean.

If it was done, whoever dose it will be a legend amongst punks and travelers.

I am super down, dont build that thing with out me.

it's funny that i rejoin the world of the internet in time to read this. in my travels over the past couple months i met a couple who live on a sailboat full time. they're about as far from punks as you can get an both experienced sailors with years of time in boats under thier belts but the life they lead is incredible. They own a 46 foot long sailboat that they sail literally all over the world. i met them when i was in fort worth florida visiting family. they had just come from cape town, south africa and before that singapore! FUCKING SINGAPORE! they just decide on some place they'd like to go and they sail there. if they like the place they may stay there as long as 8-10 months. if they don't like the place they just stay for a day or two to restock and then head out on thier way. if they decide they like a place and are just going to stay at a place for a bit they live on thier boat and to get food and the like they do odd boat-related jobs around the marina they happen to dock in. I helped one guy swim under boats to clean/remove barnacles (yes i removed barnacles and it sucked a whole bag of dicks!). aside from that they can do sail-mending work and things like that. I know next to nothing about sailing but i've become completly enamoured with the lifestyle they lead and i'm going to start learning to sail as soon as i can. it isn't looting and pillaging, raping and burning but the way they sail from port to port as they please using no oil at all. they actually took the engine out of thier sailboat. they rely on JUST wind. nothing else. they have a small, power generating windmill to supply power to thier emergency beacons, computer, and TV (they live the high life on this boat!) and they get fresh water by collecting rain water and from a solar still which gets towed behind the boat and uses the suns energy to purify the salt water. anyway, i'm done tooting the horn of these people but the short time that i knew them was truly inspiring. as soon as i can i will be upping the seafaring punx.
-cush.

Exile

Reaction score
A pirate ship would be actually quite smart. Theres alot of territory in the water that is unclaimed......

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads