Photos - Pics of riding around my city | Squat the Planet

Photos Pics of riding around my city

The Toecutter

The Patron Saint of Filth
Reaction score
My city has a lot of abandoned buildings to be explored. I rode my unmotorized Milan SL velomobile around the neighborhood and snapped some pictures. St. Louis is a post-industrial wonderland. Probably not to the extent that Detroit is(never been there, would like to go someday), but it has no shortage of scenery that looks like it belongs in dystopian and/or post apocalyptic science fiction. Nothing quite like flying around at 40 mph with only your legs powering the vehicle.

CnD3B0p.jpg

jMItvdF.jpg

0WcdRaE.jpg

e8PWKrB.jpg

02UepCV.jpg

8ZH0ah9.jpg

5BsggBM.jpg

fBLR2fF.jpg

7qIF7tF.jpg

Za5Wb4k.jpg

r0IwME5.jpg

TVl2euf.jpg

27RDHrX.jpg

jTG57k5.jpg

CV1p6zL.jpg

TtMXxSA.jpg

9i147tA.jpg

0uyALPF.jpg

vBMTRRs.jpg

wcBnhgu.jpg

fAlGQzB.jpg

bH9yvTN.jpg

JHaPEcf.jpg

ix0jX6y.jpg

SAfMVcd.jpg

tydLFQG.jpg

a0nwTVq.jpg

RJyYqna.jpg

lcx5Uqn.jpg

mg91qR3.jpg

OpOSv1n.jpg

0YEHqky.jpg

Dfk0AdC.jpg

mbSZrWO.jpg

BOMZ0La.jpg

I1nhRFi.jpg

Em2CaBp.jpg

YjAplX5.jpg

oFlmzEL.jpg

KufY24X.jpg

lOsvA8a.jpg

I'll post more photos later.

Forth

Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Hell yes i only spent a couple nights there but I loved the abandondness* of St Louis.

@The Toecutter that is one dope whip. I don't think i've ever seen one of those honestly, or if i did i had no idea what it was. Legit thought you rode that outta the Jetsons cartoon for a second.

Barf

Staff member
Reaction score
@The Toecutter is that green thing/rig your ride? That area looks bleak as fuck. Were you on the east side of St. Louis? That’s the real dilapidated, rundown, wrong side of the river. I can feel the skag through the screen.

The Toecutter

Reaction score
@The Toecutter is that green thing/rig your ride? That area looks bleak as fuck. Were you on the east side of St. Louis? That’s the real dilapidated, rundown, wrong side of the river. I can feel the skag through the screen.

That is one of my rides. I have another similar to it that is in the main thread for the bicycle touring section of this site.

These photos were all taken within roughly a 3 mile radius from where I currently reside. It is near Lambert Airport on the Missouri side of St. Louis. I hear gunshots multiple times a week where I live and have seen some crazy shit go down.

I've also ridden through East St. Louis on the Illinois side.

Hell yes i only spent a couple nights there but I loved the abandondness* of St Louis.

@The Toecutter that is one dope whip. I don't think i've ever seen one of those honestly, or if i did i had no idea what it was. Legit thought you rode that outta the Jetsons cartoon for a second.

It's an aerodynamic pedal-powered recumbent tricycle called a velomobile. It has no motor. This particular make/model is a Milan SL. It is so aerodynamically slippery that I can pedal it to 50 mph on flat ground in a sprint. But it does take me 2 miles to reach that speed. I've gotten up to 89 mph while careening down a very steep hill heading into East St. Louis, IL. Viable flat-ground cruising speeds are closer to 30-35 mph. Being a bicycle, and heavier than a normal bicycle, it is not nearly as fast going up hill. There are steep inclines that for the same effort it takes to hold 30 mph on flat ground, I'm doing 3-4 mph up that hill.

I've designed/built a vehicle similar to this that is also pedal powered, but with the addition on an electric hub motor. I'm turning that into a car with the legal status of a "bicycle". It will be able to do 110+ mph and out-accelerate the police Dodge Chargers when the motor is in use after I get done with it. And it ill still remain pedalable to faster-than-bicycle speeds when I turn the motor off. It won't be as aerodynamically efficient or as light as the Milan, but I'm using the aerodynamic body of the Milan to guide my next design iteration, and the expectation/hope is that I will be able to reach 40-45 mph in a flat-ground sprint with the motor completely disabled, just pedaling it. With the motor in use, it will have a range-per-charge comparable to most of the medium-tier electric cars you can buy, except it will cost about $0.25 to fully charge from empty.

These vehicles are perfect for inexpensive long-distance travel at high speeds. Might even be comparable in overall speed to train hopping, once you consider all of the waiting around that it entails, but with the ability to go wherever there is a road.

• Best of Luck!
  • Epic
Reactions: Forth and Dmac

Forth

Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
@The Toecutter Whoa! Those speeds are insane. I am a speed fiend, i'd probably end up killing myself bombing down a hill in one of those. If I ever see one now im gonna try and race it to see what it do. Hills do not sound fun. How much does that bad boy weigh? Really cool bike i love it.

The Toecutter

Reaction score
@The Toecutter Whoa! Those speeds are insane. I am a speed fiend, i'd probably end up killing myself bombing down a hill in one of those. If I ever see one now im gonna try and race it to see what it do. Hills do not sound fun. How much does that bad boy weigh? Really cool bike i love it.

If you race one, in all likelihood, it will be piloted by some feeble old man wealthy enough to afford it, and he will completely smoke your ass, even if you race bicycles professionally for a living and are extremely strong. Sure, you might initially gain tens of feet over some feeble 70-80 year-old man that could barely walk, but he will eventually get up to 30+ mph and overtake you, because he will be able to hold that speed for minutes at a time.

The power required to overcome aerodynamic drag varies as a cubic function of velocity, and aerodynamic drag accounts for most of a ground vehicle's load at anything over about 15 mph. Double the speed, and you require 8 times as much power to overcome wind resistance. On a normal bicycle, this adds up quickly, because it has about as much overall wind resistance vs. speed as a compact car. That Milan has about 1/10th the aerodynamic drag of a normal bicycle. This is how that is possible. I'm probably one of the youngest owners of such a vehicle in the U.S. and I'm in my 30s. I'm not a professional bike rider, but I am fit, and that's enough to hit those speeds. On a normal upright road bike, I can hit about 30 mph in a sprint on flat ground. Do be aware that recumbents work different leg muscles than upright bikes, so it isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison.

The Milan weighs about 70 lbs. I typically carry 12 lbs of tools/spare parts, a 7 lb jug full of water, and 2-3 lbs of food.

My custom-built electric velomobile that I designed from scratch, not pictured in this topic, weighs 91 lbs, batteries, electric motor, and other parts included.

I love riding them high on drugs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bibritt

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads