Picked up at Area 51 | Squat the Planet

Picked up at Area 51

DesertDixie

Reaction score
What's it going to be then eh?

Ello Ello Ello. My name is Monika. My boy @CrazyCody and I woke up to @BlowUpTrains sleeping on the dirt next to us at Alienstock, and then he introduced us to @Matt Derrick and now we're here.

I've been on and off the road travelling for about 10 years. I'm a tattooer by trade and like to move around. Lived in 7 states so far. Did a month long southern road trip in the Prius while moving back to Cali from Pa. We spend a lot of time in national parks and driving through forgotten roads while we go herping (hunting for snakes and lizards and other crawly things) so we can make YouTube videos and hopefully move them out of the way before they get ran over. We also like to hike out into the desert to pick things up and look underneath them.

I have gotten pretty hard into Prius Camping and though I might not be an "expert" I would say I am learning more than I am forgetting for once. 😆 And I have been able to make it pretty comfortable for two 6 foot adults to sleep and live out of that surprisingly sweet car.

So if you ever want to talk about animals or Prius life or tattoos or whatever hit me up 🤗

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Hey! Glad to see you both made it to StP! What are your next plans? Gonna be in Cali for a while?

Reactions: DesertDixie

DesertDixie

Reaction score
Hey! Glad to see you both made it to StP! What are your next plans? Gonna be in Cali for a while?
Aw man look at you with those hard hitting questions. 🤣 I don't know though. I can never really stay in one place for too long. But winter is coming and I am so over being in the snow for the past few years. We talked about hopping the border south. But well see where the road takes us.... Gonna go up to Yosemite for a few days this week.

DesertDixie

Reaction score
If I was traveling by Prius, I'd probably just pitch a tent somewhere every night, no?
Im not really into tents anymore. I always pull into camp so late I don't bother with them. I'd just sleep on the thing like a tarp. But if you look up the Prius Hotel or Prius Life videos on the YouTube's you can see there are some pretty sweet set ups. It makes stealth city camping really easy. And it works as a rolling generator so you can run the AC or heat pretty much as much as you want without it being a big deal. Charge all your stuff up easy with a 12 v converter. Or if you need a cpap they can be very helpful. Since there are 2 of us in it we don't keep the single bed set up. We will keep it all folded and then pull the front seats forward when we want to sleep and fill in the gap with all of our packing cubes and cooler and stuff. Makes a really nice bed. We have to make a better video about it eventually especially if anyone on here is interested in the set up.

• Useful
Reactions: Matt Derrick
D

Deleted member 26656

I have seen rubber tramps who literally every night will actually they were in a sedan but literally every night they would park the sedan and just camping some random patch of woods it seemed to work pretty well for them.

D

Deleted member 26656

We're always on the look out for them. Scoping good spots. 😁
Shit, I mean..just look on Google maps and see where large tracts of woods are. Like once you know the spot, then you know it, right? So like maybe build a little fire pit up in there, clear it out a little...that's what I would (actually still doing it but by train,) be doing.
I had a van for a minute, but reverted to trains...for the camps..that oughtta tell you something lol

DesertDixie

Reaction score
Shit, I mean..just look on Google maps and see where large tracts of woods are. Like once you know the spot, then you know it, right? So like maybe build a little fire pit up in there, clear it out a little...that's what I would (actually still doing it but by train,) be doing.
I had a van for a minute, but reverted to trains...for the camps..that oughtta tell you something lol
For the most part. The Prius is a little limiting with the ground clearance but we take it as far as we can. Im not sure if the newer ones have done anything about that. But one can never have too many places to camp really.

D

Deleted member 26656

For the most part. The Prius is a little limiting with the ground clearance but we take it as far as we can. Im not sure if the newer ones have done anything about that. But one can never have too many places to camp really.
True true... My last vehicle was a Honda Odyssey, used 2003. It had juuuust enough clearance to get into certain spots at Nat forests, et cet.. you guys are lucky though, cause you're a couple. So at least if you're in the middle of nowhere, you still got each other.
Me, by myself, I was always in the middle of nowhere alone lol.
Anyways, it's better now that I'm back out running trains because I can always can't somewhere in some woods around the yard but still have like civilisation or whatever.

DesertDixie

Reaction score
True true... My last vehicle was a Honda Odyssey, used 2003. It had juuuust enough clearance to get into certain spots at Nat forests, et cet.. you guys are lucky though, cause you're a couple. So at least if you're in the middle of nowhere, you still got each other.
Me, by myself, I was always in the middle of nowhere alone lol.
Anyways, it's better now that I'm back out running trains because I can always can't somewhere in some woods around the yard but still have like civilisation or whatever.
So long as you're alone in good company it can be ok. We can get kinda sick of each other sometimes too but there is a luxury in having the voices answer back every so often 🙂. But I feel ya for sure. I have yet to hop on so I'm pretty lame like that. I just sit in the car and think about it a lot.

D

Deleted member 26656

So long as you're alone in good company it can be ok. We can get kinda sick of each other sometimes too but there is a luxury in having the voices answer back every so often 🙂. But I feel ya for sure. I have yet to hop on so I'm pretty lame like that. I just sit in the car and think about it a lot.
It's a lot easier, but it ain't for everybody.

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
(hunting for snakes and lizards and other crawly things) so we can make YouTube videos and hopefully move them out of the way before they get ran over. We also like to hike out into the desert to pick things up and look underneath them.

Reminds me of this video, you might like this guy's content if you're into that sorta thing. A buddy of mine who geeks out on trees, plants, geology, wildlife & what the shit.

• Love It
Reactions: DesertDixie

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads