Personal rules, morals, whatever ya call it on the road | Squat the Planet

Personal rules, morals, whatever ya call it on the road

Reaction score
Not sure how to start this off so I'm just gonna jump straight into it.

1.) I always work for my money, I don't spange, panhandle, none of that. I always work for my money somehow. I can't stand panhandling personally. It makes me sick to my stomach to do it. I'm a perfectly capable of making my own money.
2.) I use money as little as possible, or as little as I can in a increasingly modern world. Much of my food is dumpstered, and since I spend a very large amount of my time in the wilderness, a good deal of my food is from there as well, such as a pocket fishing kit, my slingshot, and wild edibles etc. I also work-trade for food when i can. If i have to buy food I spend money on bagged rice, beans, and lentils, bread and peanut butter etc at dollar tree. Fresh fruits and veggies are also cheap at grocery stores.
3.) I chose this lifestyle. I'm humble with everything I do. I may not panhandle, but if someone kindly offers me money, I take it with a humble heart and gratitude if I really need it, and if i have my own money, i'll kindly refuse their offer, at which point they look at me as though I've got a screw loose lol. Somebody asks me to leave for sleeping somewhere such as behind a business or apartment archway or something similar i do so even if it makes me angry. I understand why they do it. The list goes on and on
4.) Depend on the machine less. I eat from the wild as much as I can, and when i don't I dumpster my food, which will be thrown in a landfill anyway and not be put to good use. I use a homemade hobo stove so that i don't need to buy fuel for a modern stove. I use alternative medicine, and also make my own clothes when i can(maybe ill make a post about it sometime). Anything i can diy myself i make.
5.) My dog comes first. His food water and other needs. Nuff said he depends on me for everything.
6.)I like to avoid conflict, and as a result keep my temper in check when shots are being fired, and am kind to everyone I meet, if someone is being negative I remove myself from the situation
7.) Things that hold me back I leave behind. Relationships are a big no no, extra unnecessary gear. You get the idea.
8.)Live in a way that makes me happy and leaves me with a sense of fulfillment and love for who I am as a person.
9.) Treat the earth with the respect it deserves. No littering, killing a animal I wont eat, or chopping down trees for fun that kind of shit.
10.)Accepting things and moving on. Took me a while for this one. Everything feels so much better when you can just live and let go of things mentally.

Just felt like sharing, if you wanna share yours feel free, kinda why i made this thread, wanna see how everybody else thinks. Not looking for harsh negative criticism on the way I rule myself and live my life. Look forward to seeing you guys post. Hope this made sense, never thought i was much good at conveying my thoughts in writing.

D

Deleted member 20683

I think this is awesome and I wish when I first went traveling I’dve thought about how this kind of ‘moral compass’ can be a more essential tool than a leatherman

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
EVERYTHING YOU SAID IS WRONG!!!! GET A JOB HIPPY!!!

(J/k, just wanted to sound like a morally superior housie)

Ya, this is a great idea for a post. I've seen other similar threads before, but cant remember them.

For me, this thread:

https://squattheplanet.com/threads/hobo-history-ethical-code.5483/

Explains very closely to how I choose to live my life.

I can relate to your not wanting to panhandle. I do busk (guitar/vocals) though. I think that is a perfectly acceptable way of making a living.

I wish I could get more and more away from needing money. The first step would be to quit drinking.

The no relationships thing I can also relate to, however I believe that is now more destructive for me than helpful. I need to learn how to get along with people again.

I take my morals and manners VERY seriosuly. Expecially while traveling. There have been multiple instances where my morality and manners have benefitted my travels, gotten me rides, provisions, money, friendships.

I wish more people would adopt a code such as these (with their own provisions), it would benefit our community greatly.

D

Deleted member 20683

Busking is 100% NOT spanging!

Afa your second to last paragraph, you may have rediscovered the categorical imperative

D

Deleted member 22934

And dont pee/poop in the rivers!

I met a dude in Oregon last year and for some reason he asked me what my camp rules are... I said as follows...

CAMP RULES-
1-Never tell anyone where your camp is
2-Never walk into someone else's camp after dark
3-Keep camp clean and free of garbage
4-Never poop in or near camp

Anyways he was like "Why would you poop in camp when theres a river right there"

Dude! Dig a fuckin hole. Dont be like that guy. Theres a poor smuck downstream drinking that water and washing his face in it.

Last edited:
Reactions: marymemarryme

Oddy

Reaction score

Afa your second to last paragraph, you may have rediscovered the categorical imperative

You're so right, busking isn't the same as spanging at all! It's a performance and a skill. I dislike spanging too, especially when kids tell one person how cool it is to live rough and how they chose it, so they look interesting and get money, then two minutes later when an old lady comes by they turn on the "please Mrs, life is so hard on the streets. Feel sorry for me." bit. It's so manipulative and false.

Reaction score
I think this is awesome and I wish when I first went traveling I’dve thought about how this kind of ‘moral compass’ can be a more essential tool than a leatherman

I agree

Never said I didn't like busking. I agree that busking is a form of work hell i do it sometimes even though i'm real shitty with the harmonica just wish i was more musical lol.

EVERYTHING YOU SAID IS WRONG!!!! GET A JOB HIPPY!!!

(J/k, just wanted to sound like a morally superior housie)

Ya, this is a great idea for a post. I've seen other similar threads before, but cant remember them.

For me, this thread:

https://squattheplanet.com/threads/hobo-history-ethical-code.5483/

Explains very closely to how I choose to live my life.

I can relate to your not wanting to panhandle. I do busk (guitar/vocals) though. I think that is a perfectly acceptable way of making a living.

I wish I could get more and more away from needing money. The first step would be to quit drinking.

The no relationships thing I can also relate to, however I believe that is now more destructive for me than helpful. I need to learn how to get along with people again.

I take my morals and manners VERY seriosuly. Expecially while traveling. There have been multiple instances where my morality and manners have benefitted my travels, gotten me rides, provisions, money, friendships.

I wish more people would adopt a code such as these (with their own provisions), it would benefit our community greatly.

Yeah my morals I adhere to pretty strictly. And I feel you on drinking its hard to not fall victim to the bottle. I was also able to quit cigs to which helped alot. And as for relationships nowadays I just seem to prefer my own company. I appreciate the response :)

You're so right, busking isn't the same as spanging at all! It's a performance and a skill. I dislike spanging too, especially when kids tell one person how cool it is to live rough and how they chose it, so they look interesting and get money, then two minutes later when an old lady comes by they turn on the "please Mrs, life is so hard on the streets. Feel sorry for me." bit. It's so manipulative and false.

again dont mind busking i do sometimes even though im shit at it lol. And i hate that feel sorry for me shit when you chose this life it makes me fucking sick I agree its manipulative as hell. They say fuck the system yet you depend on people in the system to give you money that they worked their asses off for that you have no right to. I'd rather get ebt than spange. Ignore my little rant lol just sayin I agree with you i just feel strongly on it.

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
Right now I'm housed since my family needs help and I'm working. So not traveling atm (but I hope to hit the road again soon). My thoughts after 3 years on the road:

1.) I always work for my money, I don't spange, panhandle, none of that. I always work for my money somehow. I can't stand panhandling personally. It makes me sick to my stomach to do it. I'm a perfectly capable of making my own money.

Well, I dont mind if someone spange. It's okay for me. I very rarely did it, cause in most of the places I stayed (UK) begging is illegal and I didn't want to run into trouble, especially as a foreigner. But I never worked. At first I just sat somewhere, minding my own business and eventually someone gave me some change. Not asking, no sign, no hat or cup outside.

Then luckily a friend gave me a harmonica and I learned to play it. So I could make some money legally. I am not really good, I can't really play popular songs, just some tunes I came up with. But aparently it is good enough I got away with it, police considered it as busking and not "begging with an instrument".

I never needed much. I always made "money on demand". I like to drink, I like to smoke (tobacco). Everything else is for free anyway. So sometimes I went somewhere, played and as soon as I got 1 or 2 pounds, I quit ... got a cider and chilled somewhere.

Also i always told people the truth. When someone asked me if I'm homeless, my answer was "no". Told them I'm travelling, from Germany ... obviously low budget. Visiting friends and enjoying my time here in {city}.

I would never fly a sign like "homeless and hungry need help".

2.) I use money as little as possible, or as little as I can in a increasingly modern world. Much of my food is dumpstered, and since I spend a very large amount of my time in the wilderness, a good deal of my food is from there as well, such as a pocket fishing kit, my slingshot, and wild edibles etc. I also work-trade for food when i can. If i have to buy food I spend money on bagged rice, beans, and lentils, bread and peanut butter etc at dollar tree. Fresh fruits and veggies are also cheap at grocery stores.

As said above, I (almost) only used money for my alc and cig habit. Sometimes not even the latter, picking up cig buts is for free. I took the tobacco out and re-rolled it.

Dumpster diving is a cool thing, I like it. Also asking for leftover food at takeaways is a good way to feed yourself. I mean it's almost the same, but you get it (if you get it) before it goes into the dumpster.

When it comes to the wilderness ... was never travelling there. i like cities. Perhaps cause I spend most of my (normal lifestyle) life on the countryside. Cities like London are my "djungle".

3.) I chose this lifestyle. I'm humble with everything I do. I may not panhandle, but if someone kindly offers me money, I take it with a humble heart and gratitude if I really need it, and if i have my own money, i'll kindly refuse their offer, at which point they look at me as though I've got a screw loose lol. Somebody asks me to leave for sleeping somewhere such as behind a business or apartment archway or something similar i do so even if it makes me angry. I understand why they do it. The list goes on and on

I chose that lifestyle as well and yeah, being humble with everything you do is the way to do it. I totally agree.

One disagreement, though. I would never refuse a donation anymore, may it be food, clothing, money or whatever. Reason is I don't want to embarrass a nice person who is so generous. I did it a few times before as I was still backpacking only and had money. In my opinion what you describe as "at which point they look at me as though I've got a screw loose" is more embarrassment on their side. If I didn't need it, I never wasted it, though. Gave it to someone else who was thankful for it.

So, I would suggest, next time someone offers you money and you don't need it ... take it and give it to someone else who is in need in your opinion.

Only exception is when the person who offered me money was obviously poor or even homeless him/herself. Then I declined as well.

4.) Depend on the machine less. I eat from the wild as much as I can, and when i don't I dumpster my food, which will be thrown in a landfill anyway and not be put to good use. I use a homemade hobo stove so that i don't need to buy fuel for a modern stove. I use alternative medicine, and also make my own clothes when i can(maybe ill make a post about it sometime). Anything i can diy myself i make.

Can't say anything about wilderness since I always stayed in cities.

Would like to hear about your DIY clothes though. When it comes to clothes ... I always liked it when I found something here or there. In the trash, on the streets or whereever. Often people came to me and donated something and I always took it (see above for the reason) but only a few times I really used that, more often then not I gave it to someone else. I don't want to carry lots of clothes, I'm fine with just what I'm wearing and I don't mind to be raggedy, on the contrary lol.

5.) My dog comes first. His food water and other needs. Nuff said he depends on me for everything.

:)

6.)I like to avoid conflict, and as a result keep my temper in check when shots are being fired, and am kind to everyone I meet, if someone is being negative I remove myself from the situation

I'm absolutely the same. I like to avoid conflicts as well.

Don't get me wrong, if a friend runs into trouble, I would not run away. But if that happens I always try to de-escalate.

If I'm on my own, I do the same. Remove myself from the situation. No need for drama.

Many people let provoke themself by people they don't even know. Like if someone calls you scum and "get a fuckin job" or alike. And then they flip out.

Me ... I don't even have to brace myself. I don't care. If someone who does not know me treats me like that ... they have disqualified themselfes. No need to think about any further.

7.) Things that hold me back I leave behind. Relationships are a big no no, extra unnecessary gear. You get the idea.

Never was in a relationship while travelling, so can't say anything about it. But I met quite a few people who got very good friends, like family. And yeah I fell in love once, but the feelings were not mutual. That's life.

8.)Live in a way that makes me happy and leaves me with a sense of fulfillment and love for who I am as a person.

Well, yes, basically.

9.) Treat the earth with the respect it deserves. No littering, killing a animal I wont eat, or chopping down trees for fun that kind of shit.

Yes.

10.)Accepting things and moving on. Took me a while for this one. Everything feels so much better when you can just live and let go of things mentally.

Yes, absolutely.

:)

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
You're so right, busking isn't the same as spanging at all!

Well, yes. But there is a wide range. There are many people I know who are really talented, playing guitar, banjo, saxophone, singing ... me on the other hand I play some tunes on the harmonica which is not sooo virtuous. But anyway, yeah it's at least I do something, not just asking for spare change.

I dislike spanging too, especially when kids tell one person how cool it is to live rough and how they chose it, so they look interesting and get money, then two minutes later when an old lady comes by they turn on the "please Mrs, life is so hard on the streets. Feel sorry for me." bit. It's so manipulative and false.

Definitely. I always told people what I do, why I do it ... just the truth.

When someone approached me asking "how are you?" (obviously about to give me some money) I always answered "hi I'm fine, how are you?" ... and if they asked me if I'm homeless I told them no, I'm travelling, enjoying myself here in England, seeing friends ... just the truth.

I hate it when people make up sob stories.

3tearsNbucket

Reaction score
Hey there , yeah I’m gonna have to say really it’s a whatever fits for the situation deal....living it and experience of your paths you use work best for how you walk them..
Two ppl walk down same path and what one gets up with prolly the other can to if told but not always.... I know if you starving you can usually knock on backdoor of Mexican cafe.. their cooks/ dishwashers hook it up if your passsing thru.. good chance they travelled to get here and know ,. Also if I gotta fly a sign it’s usually like this.. I fly it in test stops on freeways/ interstates... and usually come up to set amount for what I need .. ( 60-200$ 1- 5hrs).... Rest stop is usually 95% other ppl going down road also.. and they have extra they can spare .. odds are better....
fly a sign in town .. locals throws pennies at you and then even authorities will harass you .... if time allows work that is first .. like follow the harvest if possible .. with regional weather transitions ... but ALWAYS remember ,., to receive you MUST also GiVE..

Groundscore

Reaction score
I always try to treat others as I wish to be treated. I also am big on respecting the choices of others.

MFB

Reaction score
On morality;
Once I was bein a bum up in Boulder, CO.
I had absolutely no dollars, I dont spange.
The lil modern art museum downtown had a free day.
I came across the employee/staff kitchen area.
Sometimes you have to jiggle door handles.
And sometimes those handles arent locked.
And behind the door is a fridge when your starving.
A fridge w 'art people' food.
And sometimes, you end up stealing 3 lunches that nice ppl brought for themselves.
And just when you start to feel like a bad person down on the river, you taste the fresh mozz and basil and grain salad and fancy bread and berries from tubberware. And then ya just say 'fuck it'.

Rune

Reaction score
Website
www.perchance.org
#1: No hard drugs or drug-dealing, and preferably limit intake of any addictive substance except caffiene.
#1: No Stealing from People, and stealing from corporations should be life or death.
^#1 is tied.
#2: Try not to be a burden on others, if I find myself becoming a burden, its time to hit the road.
#3: Dont ask for money, perform or teach for money if possible.
#4: Dont bring along people that cheat on their partners, shoplift, sell or do hard drugs, and are idiotic about how to deal with police, and will get me into trouble and give me a criminal record.
#5: Dont litter, or damage the environment. Clean up after my excursion through the woods, or through the city.
#6: Have fun, be hopeful, and remain calm in difficult situations. If all else fails, walk until I drop.
#7: Leave as soon as a situation turns violent or even threatening.
#8: Dont get too attached, everything and everyone is temporary. but enjoy what I have while I have it.
#9: Always bring a towel.

Thats all I have down so far.

Im an anarchist.. but I hate the bureacracy more than I hate capitalism. I think there is a good and bad practice of capitalism, and I advocate for the positive merits of capitalism and fight against the people that make capitalism into something corrupt.
I do want to have my own business someday.
I am not above starting a temporary underground business, though. :p

Last edited:

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
#1: No hard drugs or drug-dealing, and preferably limit intake of any addictive substance except caffiene.
#1: No Stealing from People, and stealing from corporations should be life or death.
^#1 is tied.
#2: Try not to be a burden on others, if I find myself becoming a burden, its time to hit the road.
#3: Dont ask for money, perform or teach for money if possible.
#4: Dont bring along people that cheat on their partners, shoplift, sell or do hard drugs, and are idiotic about how to deal with police, and will get me into trouble and give me a criminal record.
#5: Dont litter, or damage the environment. Clean up after my excursion through the woods, or through the city.
#6: Have fun, be hopeful, and remain calm in difficult situations. If all else fails, walk until I drop.
#7: Leave as soon as a situation turns violent or even threatening.
#8: Dont get too attached, everything and everyone is temporary. but enjoy what I have while I have it.
#9: Always bring a towel.

Thats all I have down so far.

Im an anarchist.. but I hate the bureacracy more than I hate capitalism. I think there is a good and bad practice of capitalism, and I advocate for the positive merits of capitalism and fight against the people that make capitalism into something corrupt.
I do want to have my own business someday.
I am not above starting a temporary underground business, though. :p

I like it. I have differing views on capitalism, but that's about it. Basically nailed it on the points.

Reactions: Rune

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads