Perhaps Idaho isn’t all that bad | Squat the Planet

Perhaps Idaho isn’t all that bad

SouthernSammon

Reaction score
Been hitchhiking through Idaho for the past 4 days. Honestly, there’s not a whole lot to say. Hopefully Oregon will be much different.

Attachments

• C584C5F5-99CD-4179-B188-0722A739CE50.jpeg
    C584C5F5-99CD-4179-B188-0722A739CE50.jpeg
    931.8 KB · Views: 142
  • 71232A1F-58CF-4A84-B0F9-AB53D9937128.jpeg
    71232A1F-58CF-4A84-B0F9-AB53D9937128.jpeg
    940 KB · Views: 142
  • F3EA2618-3D37-4A2D-80B7-0BB6CE003EF9.jpeg
    F3EA2618-3D37-4A2D-80B7-0BB6CE003EF9.jpeg
    436.9 KB · Views: 134
  • A0AD8F79-1B53-499B-9682-0291A2E70A1F.jpeg
    A0AD8F79-1B53-499B-9682-0291A2E70A1F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 139
  • 75D86304-B5BE-4849-B43E-E9C06F0CA169.jpeg
    75D86304-B5BE-4849-B43E-E9C06F0CA169.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 146

WanderLost

Reaction score
South Idaho is about as good as it gets (for hitching). Oregon will suck ass.
Edit: you'll be good on the 84 west, but rides will slow down when you get to la grande. i5 between Portland and eugene sucks though. That's what I was thinking when I posted that.
Edit: Don't use the on ramp in la grande.; Hitch the highway.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: sevedemanos

WanderLost

Reaction score
i understand its all a matter of preference but why hitch hike? isnt it boring af standing there watching traffic go by for hours

It usually only takes a half hour max on the 84 in Idaho. I always hitch rather than trainhop when I'm in that area. Plus trainhopping would most likely be alot more waiting.

• Useful
Reactions: 00kissmarrykick00

sevedemanos

Reaction score
It usually only takes a half hour max on the 84 in Idaho. I always hitch rather than trainhop when I'm in that area. Plus trainhopping would most likely be alot more waiting.
maybe. but at least all that time i can be doing something more interesting than sitting on the side of the road trying to keep eye contact and a smile in the heat and rain when i could be chilling by a fire or under a tarp reading a book or writing or sewing all my gear back up.

oh and you were right about everything in previous post, vis a vis hitching and the five between eugene and pdx especially!! i only disagree because f*** hitch hiking. especially hitch hiking oregon. dude, oregons got a shitload of busses state wide. theyre not even expensive, ive had to take them a couple of times working in medford or otherwise stranded when the dpu croaked

I'm at a point in life, I'd rather walk👣🐾🐾👣👣👣🐾🐾
My dog agrees

sounds odd but ive had those days where im too lazy to hitch and just hoofed the 30 miles. theres just something about standing there with a thumb out, man. like, in two hours i couldve been ten miles down. and the eventual ride may just be going only 3.

Last edited:

Gin

Reaction score
maybe. but at least all that time i can be doing something more interesting than sitting on the side of the road trying to keep eye contact and a smile in the heat and rain when i could be chilling by a fire or under a tarp reading a book or writing or sewing all my gear back up.

oh and you were right about everything in previous post, vis a vis hitching and the five between eugene and pdx especially!! i only disagree because f*** hitch hiking. especially hitch hiking oregon. dude, oregons got a shitload of busses state wide. theyre not even expensive, ive had to take them a couple of times working in medford or otherwise stranded when the dpu croaked

sounds odd but ive had those days where im too lazy to hitch and just hoofed the 30 miles. theres just something about standing there with a thumb out, man. like, in two hours i couldve been ten miles down. and the eventual ride may just be going only 3.

Yep & even if I'm only 5mi down the road, I'm somewhere else & 5mi closer. I've found nice swimming holes & great spots to loiter lol

Reactions: sevedemanos

WanderLost

Reaction score

Ya I've noticed some of the worst hitching is when there's good bus routes. The problem Is I sometimes don't realize there's busses until I've exhausted trying to hitch lol. I definitely prefer trains to hitch though, cuz then you don't have to answer all the same questions over and over again. For me that's the worst part.

Gin

Reaction score
Ya I've noticed some of the worst hitching is when there's good bus routes. The problem Is I sometimes don't realize there's busses until I've exhausted trying to hitch lol. I definitely prefer trains to hitch though, cuz then you don't have to answer all the same questions over and over again. For me that's the worst part.

I hate questions too.

Reactions: WanderLost

sevedemanos

Reaction score

ig ive worked too many customer service jobs to mind it. ive had all types of people pick me up and most of them were pretty darn cool. heard a lot of good jokes and cool stories. but man do i hate begging for hours next to traffic. thats why im always looking for a bus first thing.

hoping OP got a chance to check out sandpoint or moscow at least. south idaho is pretty ghetto.

Reactions: WanderLost

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads