Patience is not a virtue... | Squat the Planet

Patience is not a virtue...

Reaction score
So I'm just finishing out my senior year of high school in a small Midwestern town. It used to be alright here. Kids used to skateboard around a lot and it was a decent community, even though I wasn't very good at skating. Recently, skating was outlawed... now the town is empty. The local kids, at a a loss with what to do with themselves all fell into a heavy drug of one sort or another. Now I'm not blaming the state necessarily. These kids had other opportunities. I'm just saying that indirectly it was the local governments fault. Rumor has it that we have one of the highest rates of meth and std's in America. We spend the majority of the town budget on football equipment.

Anyway, the point is that I'm kinda lonely. When I was younger I befriended all the older, punky kids, and as they graduated or dropped out, I found myself with less and less people to talk to. I read a lot now and it's okay, but I definitely don't intend on furthering my "education", which really just seems like a method used to turn kids into jingoistic wage slaves. College is the first step into wage slavery in my opinion. Now, I'm still gonna educate myself, but it will be through legitimate experience, the natural way. I guess it's sorta positive that I have few friends in high school now cause its given me an opportunity to learn things I might not have, like how awful the state of the world is currently, and how I can work to reverse the effects of western civilization (genocide, fascism, corptocracies, vast inequality, waste, war, environmental degradation, etc) or at least not take part in them. As soon as I graduate I'm walking to the East Coast, maybe to become a pirate, find God, or something.

Any anarchists or other like minded people around that would like to travel together maybe soon, dumpster diving and stuff. I would like to start a transient autonomous commune, and perhaps settle down eventually with a huge "family" on a sustainable farm. <3

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
Walking to the East Coast? Thats... gonna suck... Not to say it can't be done! But get ready for hell. Transient, I'm not sure why but that word just doesn't sit nicely with most of the people I've met. Maybe because it implies a state of transitioning? Like we're only living like this till it gets better? Idk, it never bothered me much.
Speaking of words, Jingoistic! Kudos for making me look a new word!
Anyways, ramblings aside, welcome to St-errrr I mean.... welcome to PunkNomad!

Reaction score
Walking to the East Coast? Thats... gonna suck... Not to say it can't be done! But get ready for hell. Transient, I'm not sure why but that word just doesn't sit nicely with most of the people I've met. Maybe because it implies a state of transitioning? Like we're only living like this till it gets better? Idk, it never bothered me much.
Speaking of words, Jingoistic! Kudos for making me look a new word!
Anyways, ramblings aside, welcome to St-errrr I mean.... welcome to PunkNomad!

Haha, why do you think it'll suck? I'll just grow through suffering I suppose. Yeah, I actually saw another thread today where someone kinda was offended by it. I guess I understand why, but I always thought of it as someone who is just "passing through" towns and different states of mind, like a constant evolution. Thanks man.

bwad99

Reaction score
I also looked up jingoistic and learned a new word.
Nice ambitions, get out there and do it. Seems like you got a good mindset.
Don't forget to bring a tarp. I've also found experience is the best way to learn.

E

Earth

Wow, now that's how to see America !!
I like that.
I mean, honestly - anyone can drive it, but walk it??
That's pure...............
Do it man.
Besides bicycling or kayaking, walking is the best way to see the world around you.
Come to think of it, it's the only way...........

Driftwhistler

Reaction score
That's wild. Really beautiful. Connecticut sucks, but if you can make it through the shit end close to NY, try and get to New Haven. If you can find the local bike collective, grand. They're of a circle of people who would probably be willing to help just about anybody with the purest of intentions out. And maybe they'll direct you to the best dumpsters if they can't or a punk show or two if you get bored. Good luck.

joaquim33

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
sounds good. take some goats with you. or a dog or a bike. i feel like if you had a puppy, traveling at that pace, you would just invite people to talk to you. i'd like to cross the country on mule or horse some day. or with goats.
dont get too disillusioned when you meet other travelers or 'anarchists' and they act like they are too cool for school. cause you'll encounter those. entire communities of hip snobs. just do your thing. should have an awesome time. good luck!

ped

Glorified monkey
Banned
Reaction score
Instead of the east coast why not the american discovery trail?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads