pants with reinforced crotch | Squat the Planet

pants with reinforced crotch

Maxx

Reaction score
does anyone know a pattern for a patch which i could use to reinforce the crotch and ass of a pair of pants??

tips, ideas?

genghis braun

Reaction score
I just reinforced the crotch, ass, and the entire front of a pair of shorts that were about to fall to shit. here's basically the way I did things.

1. find a strong piece of fabric (jeans work really well)
2. lay out the pants with the crotch part flat.
3. lay the fabric over the areas you want covered, then cut it into a shape that will cover the area. I found that it helped if I made it a little bigger than needed, but that's just me being on the safe side as far as making sure that everything that I want covered stays that way
4. pin it all up with safety pins. the more more you use, the better. I usually put one an all the corners, then put another one every few inches.
5. sew away! if you have other pieces of fabric around that area, remember that the reinforcement will be a lot stonger (ie, new holes won't form because of the stiches you made.) if you overlap onto them

hope this made as much sense typed out as it did in my head. good luck!

hope this helped.

Maxx

Reaction score
so i discovered today about a great little thing called a "diamond gusset".

this increases the the practicality of a pair of pants; increasing mobility, roominess and agility for activities like climbing and running. installed correctly could also benefit as crotch reinforcement.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
There's also the ever popular front and butt flap, though not exactly reinforcing pants, provides some modesty.

120 Proof Vomit

Reaction score
assflaps are actually pretty nice to have if you're a lazy shit, I've got an old pair of shorts with a hole in the ass so I just clipped on an assflap and went with it. no one sees my boxers hanging out, and it's basically the same as having a patch there... but as far as reinforcing the pants, i just patch them as they tear, no need in sewing up non-existant holes, you know? also, about the gusset, it does it's job good, if you want to go that route. i've got a pair of work pants with the gusset thing and it's nice and roomy and you can take nice long strides without feeling any resistance in the fabric. i suppose you could retrofit one into an existing pair of pants if you were so inclined.

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Oh man, I've had to patch so many crotches already. The first time I found it really difficult, because of having to fit patches to a curve. It's been getting better recently. I find it is also better to do several small patches, because if you make one that reaches from front to back, it is much harder to figure out how to make it fit properly. That, and since your new material is strong, all wear is gonna probably happen where the new stitches go into the plans. Usually this is already pretty worn, so will tear sooner or later. No problems, just keep overlapping patches, as genghis braun said.

Fwingnut

Reaction score
Find a cloth hat, then tear it apart. Each of the triangles are perfect, in that they lay in easy and have reinforced edges.

Amish

Reaction score
not to hard to do but the it really depends on the fabric your gonna use and the stitch, id recomend something like canvas or a heavey cotton you can get it at walmart for pretty cheap, denims good but canvas ive learned tends to last longer as for the stitch see if you can use a whipstitch the seams wont tear as easily and as the fabric pulls it tightens the stitch and will usually last longer then the fabric
if you dont know what one is heres a link to a PDF that will show you how to do it its gonna be towards the bottom of the document

macks

Ballsy Adventurer
Reaction score
Website
macksemil.wordpress.com

xbocax

Reaction score
its a portable seat cushion :], next on my list to make It will come in handy when im sliding down mountain sides when i go hiking

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads