1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. If you're new to the world of underground travel, you should check out The Anarchist's Guide to Travel! This 243 page book is a how-2 manual of everything you need to know about exploring the world through hitchhiking, train hopping, bike touring, rubber tramping, sailing, and more! Included in this book are instructions on how to survive on the road (gear, food, money, etc) and answers all of the most common questions we get here on StP in one easy reference. Save yourself hours of searching the forums while still supporting the StP community! Click here for more information!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?
    Dismiss Notice

Pannier/backpack conversion

Discussion in 'Bike Touring' started by Dunedrifter, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Dunedrifter

Dunedrifter Appreciated Participator

Achievements:
    Address:
    Eureka, CA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +62 / -0
    I've been researching panniers to purchase and came across these high quality (and high priced) ones that convert into a backpack! They're made by https://www.pannierbackpacks.com in Colorado. I'm just trying to decide if I would ever need to quickly convert to backpack mode from bike touring mode.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Hillbilly Castro

Hillbilly Castro Sir Posts a Lot

Achievements:
    Tramp
    Address:
    Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +1,013 / -9
    Yeah it's a sick idea. I do this with two little canvas ammo bags, Polish military surplus from ebay, twelve bucks a piece. I sewed coroplast sheets into them so they'd be stiff and lightweight. I made straps for them out of my great-grandma's old truck's seatbelts, and each pannier doubles as a shoulder bag. No need to spend a bunch of money!

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Dunedrifter

Dunedrifter Appreciated Participator

Achievements:
    Address:
    Eureka, CA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +62 / -0
    Love the fact that the seatbelt/straps have such a personal connection!

4. spectacular

I deleted myself

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    couple of videos on youtube on this subject, see the beach bikebums with the removable backpack/panniers all the time

5. QueerCoyote

QueerCoyote granola punk

Featured Threads:
    Achievements:
    mindless worker
    Address:
    Syracuse, NY, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +158 / -0
    The panniers I have are pretty easy to carry, even when fully loaded. I'm planning on picking up a $10 collapsible 20L backpack to go with them for items I need to bring with me when leaving my bike. I was considering bringing a regular backpack too at one point but it's just not worth the weight.

Also, a lot of panniers have adjustable straps that come with them, or you could make straps out of old material. Line them with some of the white lightweight shipping packaging foam and adjust them for your shoulders and bam, cheap backpack.

6. OutsideYourWorld

OutsideYourWorld Sir Posts a Lot

Featured Threads:
    Achievements:
    Forestry (tree planting mostly), other hobo stuff
    Address:
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +311 / -0
    Cool idea. I was thinking of getting a cheapo set of 37L panniers from aliexpress, then keeping my 80L rucksack to sit on top of those. I do a lot of hiking and multi day trips into mountains when I travel so I need more than a daypack.

• Like Like x 1