Packing for winter

DeVonte Evans

Reaction score
What do you guys take with you for winter? How does it compare to what you take any other time of year? I'm currently in southeast Georgia, and I want to go west along the southern states all the way to California. I'll be walking/hitching most of the way, but I want to train hop at some point.

Art101

Reaction score
WA state,not sure where your planning on heading but no matter what get a solid base layer. I like the mil. polyprop long underwear but might be overkill for hitching, it is really warm and not to expensive.From reading your post I would recommend a good gortex jacket,some rain pants and good boots. Sorry just waking up but drop me a line and will try and help.

OutsideYourWorld

Reaction score
Website
outsideyourworld.wordpress.com
I agree with layering. A thin goretex outer shell for top and bottom is the best (there are other materials out there. Do some research. Breathability alongside waterproofness are the key things). I would say avoid the all-in-one jackets. Get something as thin and light as you can.
As a base, in winter, something like merino wool if you can afford it. Something thin that can wick moisture away. Avoid cotton.
Middle layer i'd say a midweight wool layer. Not too heavy, as you'll likely be doing a fair bit of walking.

I spent most of last winter outside. Albeit, in Greece (bloody humid and cold even on Crete). I found a wool blanket in an abandoned house that I threw in my summer weight sleeping bag. Kept me alive, but in humidity it can be pretty hard to keep warm, but keeping dry is the priority. Your clothing can obviously be worn in a sleeping bag, if it isn't rated to low temperatures. A space blanket is great at keeping in warmth as well, though it IS a vapour barrier and will get you wet quite fast so use it either as a last resort OR don't keep it against your skin/clothes/sleeping bag, and instead suspend it above you like you would a tarp.

Thrift stores will supply you with most things you need. Hell, even goretex can be found if you're lucky. When weather gets warm, ditch the warm gear if you KNOW you won't need it. Personally I get attached to my gear, and end up keeping it for the duration, or giving it to people I know will use it.

I may have been a little all over the place, but these things were my way of surviving the winter.

DeVonte Evans

Reaction score
Thanks man. Pretty informative. However, I'm on a super tight budget. Trying to be super minimalistic. I don't even know if I'll be getting a tent, haha. I'm at least gonna get a 50 degree sleeping bag and wear a t shirt or 2, a thin sweater, a medium thickness hoodie, long johns, thick socks, jeans, and a wool cap. If I don't have a tent, how could I utilize a tarp or something, to effectively keep rain away?

OutsideYourWorld

Reaction score
Website
outsideyourworld.wordpress.com
For winter, a 50 degree bag? I'm not sure about the temps in the areas you'll be in, but you could be hurtin' with just that. My bag was rated to 7C, but below 15 was quite chilly. Watch out for those ratings! But if that's what you'll do, keep an eye out for a wool/fleece blanket. If not that (because they can be heavy and bulky), some thicker wool underclothes could help. I got an american army goretex bivy bag (an outer waterproof shell ) for like $25 off a surplus website. These bags provide wind/water protection while usually adding at least a few degrees of warmth... So maybe keep your eyes out for one of those.
Watch out for jeans getting wet... In the cold, wet jeans would SUCK.

Well a tarp can be had for very cheap. Walmart probably has some cheapo/decent stuff (never shopped there but i've heard such things). Or some tyvek from a construction site (heard good stuff about how lighweight it is). then all you need is rope for a ridgeline to tie between two points, and MAYBE some pegs to secure the corners (or you can just use sticks if available. I used a tarp for the two years I spent wandering Europe, in every season. It only really sucks when it's windy, especially if it's also raining ;)

daveycrockett

Reaction score
I 10 works itll take some time..you are still pretty south so it shouldnt be too bad..go north for a month then back south get your blood thick if youre really that worried...thats what i used to do...seriously..when i say north i mean maine...now...and stay dry..plenty of socks fucker...stop worrying youll be fine..

daveycrockett

Reaction score
oh and dont forget to shave your ears...dude cmon ask something of us you cant find on here already or makes sense you would not understand or know already..

DeVonte Evans

Reaction score
I did use search, Davey. I found one post that wasn't very helpful at all. However, you guys told me what I want to know. I'm currently on my way to northwest PA for a week with my mom to visit some family. I'm in VA right now and its not too terribly cold. I'll probably get the 40 degree bag and a decent tent. Plenty of layers are soon to come as well. I'm going to be traveling along the southern states to Cali. I know its not gonna feel like summer all the time, but I don't think it will be too bad. Thanks for the help guys!

Art101

Reaction score
If ya get a chance and know someone who will help you out...amazon has gortex bivy systems for about 60 with shipping will be good to round 10 below.

xRENx

Reaction score
dont skimp on the sleeping bag man and dont bring a tent if your on foot a tarp is just as good. take the extra money you'd spend on a tent and get a better sleeping bag or some bibs. i guess the 10 is going to be pretty popular this winter, i have some friends going the same route.

xRENx

Reaction score
i usually just burrito myself, dog and sleeping bag up in the tarp while sleeping in some bush or if the weather is bad i'll find a bridge or squat to sleep in. bugs never bothered me but for tent setups just google image tarpology. there are some basic tarp setups i've used when making a camp

3312_tarpology_tarps.png

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads