Pack

VikingAdventurer

Guardian of the Knowledge of the Wastes
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Honestly, the packs that people choose are all up to personal preference.

Do you need a shitload of gear?
Do you want to strap things in the outside, or have everything contained inside the pack?
Hydration system?

I personally use an Osprey brand "Aerial 65" pack. I've had it for over 2 years now, and it works great for me.

I would recommend doing some online research on different packs with the features that you want; read the reviews, and go into your local outdoors store and ask questions about any & all the packs that catch your eye.

Good luck!

VikingAdventurer

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
@AlmostAlwaysLost , they're pretty awesome. I'd say that if you can afford one and you wanna travel relatively light, it would be an excellent investment.

That pack took me all the way from Houston, TX to NOLA, back to Houston, and then all the way up to Seattle before I (practically) gave it away to a friend who needed a pack for a cross-country bicycle trip.

The universe definitely repaid me that favor, because another friend of mine gave me her old Osprey Aerial 65, which is still the same pack I have/use today, after almost 3 years. :cool:

Reactions: ironman

dumpster harpy

Reaction score
I currently have a surplus Bundeswehr rucksack. It's a 65l pack, water resistant, and very durable. It's pretty well designed, with top and bottom compartments in the main pack, three decent exterior pockets, and enough straps and daisy chains to secure the rest of your gear. Weighs about 3 lbs itself. They go for around 60 bucks and are well worth it.

Reactions: Testicool
A

AlwaysLost

@AlmostAlwaysLost , they're pretty awesome. I'd say that if you can afford one and you wanna travel relatively light, it would be an excellent investment.

That pack took me all the way from Houston, TX to NOLA, back to Houston, and then all the way up to Seattle before I (practically) gave it away to a friend who needed a pack for a cross-country bicycle trip.

The universe definitely repaid me that favor, because another friend of mine gave me her old Osprey Aerial 65, which is still the same pack I have/use today, after almost 3 years. :cool:

My pack sucks so bad its redonkulus.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score

N0MAD

Reaction score
What would be the most durable pack to live out of. For year

So this is my 2 Pence, I've lived out of a pack and a few extra bits and pieces for about 4 years now as a free lance outdoor instructor and guide, i move around with the job and live where they put me up or in a tent. I've stayed in some real dives hence the tent.

The most rugged i've found have been these style bags
Header.jpg

DO NOT USE A NORTH FACE ANYTHING!!! UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE THEY ARE A BUNCH OF CRAP

the are incredibly durable and can survive being thrown around and beaten up, if packed right they are also very waterproof. I've taken mine abroad checked in at the airport and kept in the hold and never had a problem.

These types of bags come in a variety of sizes mine is about 80 litres, but i can fit everything in there including food and footwear if necessary.

The other option is to go for a clamp type rucksack.

https://www.ospreyeurope.com/shop/gb_en/farpoint-70-14

they're similar to the above but a little easier to carry plus some come with an integrated day pack that can be used when you don't want to lug around your main pack.

Hope this is some help.

ATB keep travelling,
Sam

ironman

Reaction score

I work about half year to get gear cash . Then just wander done two long ass bicycle tour. Just lot wandering. Can't wait to be back out

VikingAdventurer

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I don't think I'm in a position to answer that question concisely for you, because it all depends on your personal comfort and travel style.

The 24-hour pack would not work for me personally, because I need room in my pack for dog food and dog supplies for my gigantic doggo.

Here's a link to the 511 tactical website, so you can look at for yourself & compare some of the different packs they offer:

http://www.511tactical.com/bags-packs/backpacks.html

Reactions: ironman

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads